Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Quixoticlio

New in Town
Hi ladies! I'm a longtime lurker but I thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. My name is Dani and I'm 19, living in a somewhat out of the way part of England. I've always loved vintage style and culture, from the 20's to the 50's, although I tend to stick to the 40's-50's styles as I just don't have the right body to be a flapper :eek:
I'm starting to build up my wardrobe with more vintage/vintage inspired things and finally trying to get my stick straight hair to hold a curl, so this forum is a real lifesaver for me, well my wardrobe at least!

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I wandered into the lounge while trying to date some vintage lipsticks and rouge compacts I received as a gift. I've been impressed with how friendly everyone is and at the wealth of information you've compiled.

Stuff I love: kitchenware from the 1940s and '50s, mostly rolling pins and Pyrex. Pin-up art, especially Peter Driben. Purses, shoes, and compacts. Anything red. While I don't have many vintage clothes, I lean towards '40s and '50s silhouettes and try to sneak in vintage accessories. I've had variations on the classic Louise Brooks bob for the last decade, so my hair and my clothes reflect different decades. I'm trying to grow my hair out now so I can do some different things with it. (I've already found all the Lounge notes on pin curls incredibly useful!)

My mom and I lived with my grandmother while I was growing up. She was the youngest of seven sisters; they were very close and had a strong influence on my ideas about beauty, style, and character.

Nice to meet you all!

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
Greetings.

Felt I should introduce myself. I've run across the Lounge off and on for the last few years - only recently started haunting it with any frequency. Like many, I came here because I am interested in hats...I used to wear one but I lost it, and just recently I decided to replace it. I wanted to learn more about hats before I started shopping...and I must say, I've learned more about hats in the last few weeks than most could reasonably expect to know in a lifetime! I think the "bug" has bit me.

Concerning me, I am a 21 year old bass-baritone, which is to say that I am a musician and my instrument is the first thing that occurs to me when I begin to talk about myself. I am an avid music collector and also have a great appreciation for old movies, watches, and guns.

I am very glad to be here.

Shadowex3

New in Town
I probably don't fit in here as much as the rest of you, specifically I'm not here because I'm a fan of vintage style or the golden era. If anything I'm halfway inbetween vintage, metrosexual, and the cyber family of styles (goth and nerd). What brings me here is that this is about the only forum I've ever seen remotely approaching what I consider to be the best of men's fashion, if with an eye to the past rather than the future.

Despite that I think our ideas of fashion and style still have one thing in common, a care about appearances lacking in most other circles.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hello Chilciarches and welcome! Forgive me if 'm a bit confused, but does that mean you are a 21yo singer that sings in a baritone and bass voice? I ask this cuz' I'm in our church choir...

Chiliarches said:
Greetings.
Concerning me, I am a 21 year old bass-baritone, which is to say that I am a musician and my instrument is the first thing that occurs to me when I begin to talk about myself. I am an avid music collector and also have a great appreciation for old movies, watches, and guns.

I am very glad to be here.

V

Violeta

Hello all you fabulous ladies!!

This is my first post. I hope I'm doing this right, if so, you will be reading this!
My name is Violeta or Violet or Vi, V....the list goes on haha. I joined here some time ago, I have'nt posted or done anything due to a faulty computer grrr.
I'm 27 years old, from Los Angeles Ca. Im into anything from the 1920s-50's.
I'm partial to the 40's and 50's as far as my hair and clothes go. Although I'll admit, I don't dress vintage everyday, I'm working on it! I discovered this site, while looking for 1940's hair info. I'm so glad I did! Everyone is so positive and supporting here! Its wonderful to be able to comment or ask anything without having someone tear you down for not knowing enough, or not being "vintage" enough. Once I figure it out, I will put my pics up for my avatar! Wonderfull to meet you all!

Kevinkinney

New in Town
Hello from the top of the map.

Hello all, (image heavy- hit refresh to remind our offshore web host that they are responsible for showing our pictures.)

I'm Kevin, a 41 year old father of one, garment manufacturer, and devout disciple of my elders. I was steered here by Panache. At age 40 I decided to start dressing my age...which feels like right around 1935. :)

Oddly enough, I make my living with vintage outerwear- the technology that is.
jp2.jpg

jp4.jpg

As a veteran of the outdoor industry, I've seen every advanced fabric and production scheme come through. The influence on street wear is apparent in abundance of affordable clothing. But the drop in prices came with an equal drop in quality. Yet every family heirloom I own, be it a classic saddle gun, <pre 1960>Woolrich coat, or an estate tweed, is still in service. So we craft our particular ethnic family finery in the same style.

vr5.jpg

(I'm no stranger to beeswax, thimbles, satin, taxidermy, or an awl)
babe magnet.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have examples of sartorial wisdom in my family. One grandfather was an admiral, the other a master woodsman and craftsman. Their impression is indelible. Sadly, one was built like a proud and tall highlander, and the other was a petite Hungarian. So I'm left to build, buy, or find my own classic wardrobe. I'm happy to find others on this forum who share some of my passions for footwear, adventure gear, and ties. I look forward to learning more as time passes.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Lily Amelia

New in Town
Hi everyone!

I'm just newly signed up but have been visiting the Lounge for quite a while picking up tips and admiring all he hair-do's, homes and family photos. I live in the North East of England, I'm 42 years old and have been married for 5 years (although we've actually been together for almost 20 years!)

I've always dressed 'alternative' rather than mainstream but have recently taken on more of a 50s/vintage look, maybe because I needed a bit of a change or maybe I felt I needed to look at bit more grown up :)

I have some really great old family photos to share with you all but apart from that I probably won't have too much to add but hope to continue building my 40s/50s knowledge up from all the experts here on the the FL - hope that's OK ;)

Bye for now
xx

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Trebuchet64_Fal said:
Welcome, Temeti . Yes there are a few aussie's in the lounge , look forward to hearing more from you.

I can second that. There have been a few Melbourne get-togethers (along with other cities) and the numbers are stafrting to build

Where are you located?

munchausen

One of the Regulars
I think I mistakenly posted a reply to a similar thread in another forum on here, thinking it was the hat one.

Hi all, long time lurker second time poster and admirer of hats. I live in Melbourne, Australia and have begun noticing the hat wearing public since starting my obsession.

I laugh at the comments made by those on here upon whether their wives will kill them or the excitement and trepidation they feel when the delivery truck comes. As is, I think I may have brought my wife to the edge having just bought an Akubra Hampton after class on the weekend, so I may not push my luck and buy the Federation... at least for a while anyway. I also purchased a slightly damaged Scala panama homburg. Fixing the tears in the crown will be a challenge that I look forward to. Like many here, I hope to build up a healthy collection of hats, but will probably spend most of my time admiring the collections of others.

Cheers
Munch:D

Akubra

Familiar Face
Another New Guy

Hello All,

I have been enjoying this forum very much for about one week now.

I have always been a bit of a hat lover, both for practical as well as asthetic reasons. I have worked outside my whole life (age 36) I grew up in NY state, lived in the city, lived in Ireland, lived in California, Arizona and now Maine.
I have always needed to protect my head from either the sun or the cold and the rain.

I love the outdoors, my hobbies are hunting,(I hunt everything I can from rabbits being chased by Beagles to elk and Cape Buffalo) I love fishing, hiking, camping and working out. I try and do these things with good friends and my family.

I travel a lot also. I travel throughout the USA a lot for work (sometimes nice places and sometimes places you don't want to go to for any reason:eek: )

I also travel a lot off duty. I have been to six countries in Europe and eight African countries (hunting mostly) I have also been through Mexico and Canada quite a bit.

I am a gun lover also, my firearms are almost all for hunting with a few man killers thrown in for pratical need.

I love books, film and art. I like vintage stuff also (not as much as some)
I believe in live and let live and that life is short so live it well.

I wear ball caps, tweed caps, wool hats, a beaver fur hat (it gets real cold in the winter where I live now) A beat up Tilley Hat( for fishing, boating and bush whacking), and a minnetonka leather foldable hat.

I always liked western hats, I have only 2, both are Stetsons, one is a Panama and the other is a XXXX beaver. Both hats are very good looking and comfortable. I actually wear the Panama a lot in hot weather as it deflects the sun and is light as a feather.

I never felt realy comfortable in a western hat.:eek: I only started wearing them when I lived in the southwest out of pratical need. Don't get me wrong, I love em but as a New York guy born from Irish immigrant parrents I always felt like a poser in a coyboy hat.

Then I discovered AKUBRA.:) :eusa_clap

Needless to say I am a big fan. I love the fit, the quality and the style of the Akubra hat. I also feel completly comfortable wearing one and I don't feel like a kid playing dress up!!lol

I have a well worn Snowy River and a Cattleman. I just ordered a Territory and I will post pictures of all my hats as soon as I can.

Once again lovely meeting you all.

Here is my hat collection.....

http://webmail.myfairpoint.net/hweb...GUc&emid=sharshar&linkid=link5&cid=EMsharshar

Mr Zablosky

New in Town
Present!

Interesting stuff here. I'm still poking around looking for info on different things of current interest. I'm curious of manly scents of this period and who still carries them. Also, I've got a dragnet out for a deco-style men's ring w/ruby. I don't know why I'm so fixated on this. I have a germ of a memory of someone wearing one when I was little. Maybe it'll be clear once I see a similar ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot