Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

TheSweaterGirl

New in Town
Hi!

I'm a 26 years old Swedish girl who is really looking forward to have someone to discuss sewing, clothing, etc with.

I've been sewing for a few years and last year I finished my education in dress tailoring.

Anything you wouldlike to know - just ask!

//Anna

Gogo

New in Town
Hi Sweatergirl! Nice to meet you :)

I'm just about to begin attempting to sew my first ever dress so I may end up taking you up on your offer of advice!

It's very reassuring that there are both experienced sewers here and enthusiastic beginners like me.

TheReeve

New in Town
New etc etc

What an absolutely amazing forum!!

I was pointed in this direction by a tailor I was speaking to earlier... And here was me thinking I' the only person in a 500 mile radius who understands the difference between "style" and "fashion"..

After a few hours of lurking and reading on here, I have to say...

Ladies and Gentlemen.. I salute you all!!!.....)

TheSweaterGirl

New in Town
Oh, I just saw that I had left out a few words in my post, making it sound as if I think I know everything abaout sewing :confused: I don't -unfortunately.

However I am happy to answer whatever I can :)

Nice to meet you too Gogo!

KnoxvilleRoxie

New in Town
Hola!

Hello Everyone!
Thy name is Knoxville Roxie or you can call me Roxie (real name Joanna) Roxie is my Pin Up name as I model from time to time.
I’m from the UK, London/Sussex area, I am moving as we speak.
Rockabilly by day…superhero by night.
Music is my passion and the clothes come along with it, I found this web site looking for good Hamilton watch sites.
I’m more for the 50’s style myself but I love the 40’s and 60’s all the same and I am looking forward to learning some new tricks of the trade and maybe passing along a few too!
Lovely to meet you all!

calendargirl

New in Town
Hi all!

My names Martha, I'm 21 and a history major living in Kansas.

I've acutally been stalking, I mean reading, these boards for a while out of admiration and have decided to finally take the plunge into vintage. In other words, I'll be asking a lot of annoying questions.

Shawn F.

Familiar Face
The New Guy!

Well I have decided to join up here at The Fedora Lounge finally. I have been a lurker for about a year or more (on and off). I mostly come on here to read about straight razor shaves, office furniture thread, etc. Before posting any threads here I thought it would be a good idea to post an intro and wait a day or two for my questions and comments.

First off, my name is Shawn I am originally from Southern California and currently in North Carolina. I am 23 years old and have been into motorcycles, classic cars, hot rods and customs since I was 4 and started riding motorcycles when I was 4. I have always been into anything old from radio's to cars and trucks and motorcycles to bicycles, music equipment, etc.
The reason I wanted to join here is probably the same reason many have joined and that is to interact with those with the same interest as me and learn more.

Currently my style is 50's or rockabilly (however you want to categorize it) with a pompadour style hair cut (pictures to come soon). I am hoping to learn more about things like 40's style 3 piece suits, shoes, etc. I do not and have never owned a suit in my life and would like to own one but nothing modern. My favorite era is 30's and 40's (I love WWII era). When it comes to things like suits and this era styling, I am not too bright. :eusa_doh: Like I said, I never owned a suit in my life.

As for me and things I am into and know about is of course classic cars, hot rods, motorcycles, music, and I am a fire fighter. For a few years out of high school and through high school I worked at a rod shop restoring anything from early 1900's Ford Model T's to late 60's and 70's muscle cars. I have owned more vehicles and bikes than I have had or ever will have girlfriends (is that a bad thing)? Currently I own a 1946 Chrysler Windsor business coupe, 1963 Chevy II wagon, 1966 F100, 1968 Lincoln Continental and a 1980 El Camino, and a few motorcycles. I've owned many more 40's and 50's vehicles in the past. I am also a musician and mostly play drums and guitar. As for my taste in music I like anything from 40's style big band stuff to 50's rock all the way to 80's hair metal. I do NOT listen to rap, hip hop (same thing) or country (I do appreciate the musical talent in country though).

Anyways this should be plenty enough for an intro and to give you guys and gals an idea of what I am into and why I am here. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to ask!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Dear Shawn,
Welcome! From what you say in your intro, I'm sure you'll find plenty here to interest you, to learn from, and you'll have much to contribute as well.

It's a nice place. Glad you found it. Enjoy your stay!

"Skeet"

maristella

New in Town
Hey everyone!
I came here looking for info on pincurls and fashion and have been impatiently waiting for my account to be validated ever since!
I'm from London, UK and just finished university. I'm just starting to build up my wardrobe by making my own clothes (I really love knitting and sewing). I guess that's all for now...I'll be lurking and maybe posting some pictures of garments I finish.

RosebudMarie

New in Town
Newbie from New England

Hello all,
I'm a stay-a-home mom to 2 boys, ages 8 & 9.
I've been interested in Vintage hair & fashion & culture since watching my first Bing Crosby movie in High School.

I recently cut my hair in the 'Middy' Thanks to the tute I found on here, and now I'm trying to curl it properly (and my hair can be stubborn). I know how to sew, but I don't seem to be very good at it..and never have enough money for good fabrics. I love wearing skirts, though. My 'dream dress' would be a sweet white-on-navy calico print in a v-neck, a-line style that falls just below the knees.

Just bought some red lipsticks from NYC - Retro Red & Sheer Red. Not sure which I like better!

Shawn F.

Familiar Face
Sorry I am late on this one but I wanted to say thanks for the welcomes guys! I am looking in the Classified section and looking for a nice 30's Fedora hat but not sure what size I need. I have a small head, I am only 115 pounds and 5 foot 8". :)

You are the detective!

Shawn F. said:
Sorry I am late on this one but I wanted to say thanks for the welcomes guys! I am looking in the Classified section and looking for a nice 30's Fedora hat but not sure what size I need. I have a small head, I am only 115 pounds and 5 foot 8". :)

Hi Shawn!

If you go to the HATS Section there are some forum threads there that will tell you how to MEASURE your head to get an idea as to the SIZE you wear. The hat section has some threads at the top that are considered "Stickies" important threads that are FAQ's those Frequently Asked Questions such as what size do I wear.

Hat sizes are related to the size of your head as measured in inches and or centimeters. Use a string or cloth measuring tape to get the inches around. THere are the particulars as to where etc in the threads or go to a big online place like Millars hats or see if the list of Hat Stores in the Hat section has online sties. Many online hat shops will then have a chart that converts the inches to a size.

However, you should try to find a local hat shop with fedoras that are in the real old style measurements such as 7, 7-1/8, 7-1/4, 7-3/8, 7-1/2 etc.

Hats that are listed as Small Medium Large and Extra Large are usually more of inexpensive and novelty types that won't help you figure out what you wear. Also look up in the search section about long oval and how that relates to sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy