Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
monbla256 said:
.... introduce myself. have been lurking most of this year and finally joined last night. Have been wearing hats since the late '60s ( mostly Stetson LBJ's) and have several of my father's Peter Bros. and Worth-Walden's in for referb at Peter Bros. currently). Bought my first Akubra ( a Bushman which is now a yard hat) back in the early 70's from David Morgan and currently have 3 more, a new Bushman, a Squatter and soon to arrive, Stylemaster. After being introduced to Panama Bob here, I now have 6 of his FINE panama's ( 3 Montecristi's and 3 Cuenca's). BTW, IMHO, David Morgan and Panama Bob have to be two of the FINEST folks to buy some really GREAT hats from;) !
I live in the DFW Metroplex part of Texas, (closer to Ft.Worth really) and have 4 grandchildren ;)
More later
Welcome! I have three PB cuencas and love them. I also have a stylemaster. Which stylemaster do you have on the way?
Mike

Hello New Members

Welcome!

just a quick note to all of you, when you get to 15 posts you'll be "vested" as a member and more areas and abilities will open up to you. Don't forget that a post like "Great picture!" or "Nice hat!" counts as a post.

Have fun and i suggest looking at the Events section regularly, post any vintage events that are local to you or if it's a famous one but not listed be the first to post.

Best wishes!

Gromulus

Practically Family
Yet another newbie........

Sorry in advance for the long post.
I assume this is the right place for initial introductions.

I have been lurking here for a few months and have recently made the decision (after 52 years) to wear a hat for everyday purposes. And yes, I do still have a full head of hair, gray as it may be. Aside from my Tilley TW2 winter hat (which is great for the lake effect freezes we get here in NE Ohio), I usually only wear a hat while backpacking, kayaking, or cross-country skiing.

After reading reviews and various hatter websites, I keep coming back to Akubra. The specific hat that I keep coming back to is the Banjo Paterson. It seems like a good "do it all" style that would work for me. I actually ordered and received a size 59 fawn color Banjo but sent it back in exchange for a size 60. My head measures about 59.3/59.4 and after reading so many comments about shrinkage I decided to go for the larger size. Didn't realize I had such a big head for 5'7" guy.

I am looking forward to receiving my new Banjo and who knows, perhaps a Stylemaster or Campdraft is in my future. If so, I can only hope to look as good as some of you in your hats.

I do have a confession to make. When I first found this site I thought the regulars were just a bunch of Indiana Jones wanna be's. After reading through many threads I realize that most of you have your own specific tastes and sense of style. I also found that there really are sites for the Indy imitators! Hmmm.

I can also be found on forums relating to 4Runners, guns, knives, weightlifting/bodybuilding, flashlights, kayaking, bicycling, and model trains. Too many hobbies and so little time and money! These days when my wife sees me on this site she just shakes her head and says something like: "how much can grown men really talk about hats?!". I tell her at least hats are cheaper than off-road vehicles, guns, and kayaks!

p71towny

Familiar Face
New "Old Soul"

First off Great Site!!! I'm mainly a car forum board guy but I was blown away when I stumbled into this site. It's nice to see others with such an appreciation for the way of life that was normal for "The Greatest Generation". For me the 20th century provided the greatest advancements to mankind. My wife always jokes "If its old you like it!". It's not really that, it's just that I appreciate a balance of form and function. I do have quite a bit of antiques, but they are by no means dust collectors. It seems I have the same disease as others here. I have a few old fans and radios that I can't help but buy.:eek: Even though we might have more "stuff" nowadays, I feel like those in previous generations were richer in their experiences. I live in a neat old house built in 1915 in a rural town in Indiana. I'm slowly restoring it to its former glory, not the hideous 1970's crap. Anyhoo, nice to be here!:eusa_clap

Deodand

New in Town
Steveb1 said:
Ha.. Packin Heat beat me to the first question. So Deodand, why don't you tell us about your style preferences since that seems to be the theme around here.

Well, I'm a sucker for slightly exotic suit colours. An example would be a snow-white, very narrow-waisted double breasted suit. Nothing baggy at all. Very narrow. A snow-white shirt, and a glossy blood-red tie. A white fedora to match with a glossy blood-red band.

I like Lucky Strike cigarettes and Webley revolvers.

One of my favourite actors is Peter Lorre.
;)

subject101

One of the Regulars
Hi!

Let's introduce myself :) . First of all, I'm in my early 20s since some years ago but I dress like my grandpa. I'm very glad I found this forum.

I love everything about 1940s era; cars, planes, clothing, streamline buildings, gas-stations, diners, wwII, film noir, music, swing bands, Andrew Sisters, Boswell Sisters, Anita O'day, Peggy Lee.

I love vintage women but I never found any so I'm still single. No vintage action in my town either, no swing dancing, no hangar parties, no vintage shopping, no banana split restaurants. Fortunately, from time to time I travel a lot.

I'm a cell phone hater and I have run into a lot of troubles for not using one; I have lost friends, girlfriends, clients...

I hate modern design too. Modern buildings, cities, furnitures, disgusting cars... they make me feel very sad.

My favourite outfit is chino pants, a Cable Raincoat A-2, white t-shirt and somekind of suede pilot shoes. I like shawl collar cardigans and pull overs too.

Favourite movies; Casablanca, Gilda, Laura... but it happens I stopped liking movies. I can't stand modern films. :)

Mallallory

New in Town
Hi, my name is Mallory. I'm 23, living on the island of Okinawa, Japan with my husband, a Marine and geek.

My sister, Hailey Greenhat, found the Lounge, and badgered me into signing up. I like the 30s, 40s and 50s, but don't tend to look good in 30s and early 40s. I got into vintage when she and I were always looking for clothes and formal wear that looked good and fit, so we started buying vintage and making our own. I sew, but Hai's better than I.

I like to read, crochet, sew, embroider, and knit.

Helpdesk Man

New in Town
Long time lurker here, I finally decided to start posting. I'm a 30 year old crazy filmbuff, almost anything goes but most of my favourite movies are from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

I used to wear very casual clothing, mostly collegetrousers and leisuresuits but gradually I became to wear more and more 'formal' clothing, and nowdays I'm rarely seen outside without my trenchcoat and hat on.

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
Hello ladies! I found the Fedora Lounge a couple of days ago and I have not been able to tear myself away from it! I've always loved historic fashion, especially vintage as it seemed so wearable (compared to, say, Civil War clothes!) but am just now getting into incorporating the clothes, hair, & makeup into my everyday wardrobe. I love to sew, knit, crochet, read, dance, sing, and act.

Oscar

New in Town
Hi! New to the forum here. I'm a young 20 year old looking to ditch my typical teenage style and dress. I especially love to wear hats, and am not embarrassed to wear them in public (going around in a bowler hat for example). Aside from the clothing and style of the early 1900's, I'm also getting interested in the music as well. I'm looking forward to the things I'll learn from this forum.

Julius8122

New in Town
Newbie!

Hi. I'm Julie. I'm 28, living in Nampa, Idaho which is right outside of Boise. I've been living in Idaho for about 6 years and have been a juvenile corrections officer for the past 5. I've been in love with vintage all my life - I blame my grandparents (they built their house in the early sixties and nothing has changed - and I mean nothing - since the day they moved in!) I'm a big fan of the clothing/makeup/hairstyles from the 40's and 50's. I've been lurking around the lounge for a few months but didn't join until this weekend. I've learned so much from the forum and look forward to spending more time here. Thanks!

Julius8122

New in Town
Hi. I'm Julie. I posted in The Powder Room a few days ago but I'll say hi to everyone anyway.

I'm 28. I live in Idaho, which is not the most vintage-friendly state to live in but I make do. I'm a juvenile corrections officer so I don't get the opportunity to show off my vintage side. I'm very into the 40's and 50's. I started collecting vintage things (pursese, hats, and appliances) back when I was a child. I was inspired by my grandparents and their home, all of which look like time stopped in 1962.

I've been lurking around the lounge for a while and I finally decided to join. It's nice to belong to a community where I'm not considered the odd one for my love of all things vintage! Thanks for having me.

~Kate~

New in Town
Hello everyone! I've been reading the forums for about a month and finally got around to making an account so I can join in on all the fun :) I'm a 20 year old university student currently working towards a Bachelors of Mathematics, which is terribly boring so I spent my free time hunting for vintage treasures and crafting. I love just about any decade between about 1880 and 1960, but the early 1930s is by far my favourite time period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points