Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Mme Dariaux

New in Town
Ladies, Gentlemen
I'm honored to be admitted in this illustrious club. It is a great pleasure to find company which shares my admiration for the elegance of style and niceness of manner in the decades before mid-sixties (which is the time when a mysterious malady which I tend to call the Cloud of Ugliness descended, in which shadow it is for some reason near impossible to create beautiful things). I believe in the mentally healthful effect of quality fabrics and consider lace of excellent make and pattern to exude beneficial energy of Beauty. Lace is actually a passion of mine, and a topic on which I sometimes tend to enthuse overmuch.

I'm looking forward to spending time here!

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
Hello classy ladies and distinguished gentleman.

I'm not sure I remember how I found these forums, though I know I stumbled upon a few forum posts. Awhile back I was looking for a community much like this, though it was apparently that the one I'd found before just wasn't active anymore. I've wanted a place I can discuss my interests & findings, and learn from others. I'm a fan of the late 40s and very early 50s in terms of fashion and etiquette. I realize that every era has their good and bad, and I suppose that's where I stick to romanticizing the good of that era.

Without trying, I've somehow managed to included vintage inspirations in my wardrobe as I grew older and desired to embrace being a feminine woman. One of my fond memories was almost a decade ago, when I was in a restaurant. A lovely elderly lady approached me and complimented my attire. She told me that she had worn almost the exact same outfit when she was my age. Somehow that made me feel special. I believe that my mom's love for vintage movies and the glamor of women inspired me to use that class and glamor in my own life. What I love is that anyone can do it, so long as they have the desire to do so.

It wasn't until the past couple years that I've made a conscious effort to truly add vintage inspired grooming and fashion into my life. I'd come to realize that it works naturally for me, in cosmetics and my stature. I'm slowly building my supply of vintage clothing patterns. I'm excited to learn more authentic methods, and not just work with inspiration only. I greatly enjoy researching and reading history, then practicing it myself.

I've never been to any vintage re-enactments before, but I do hope to one day. I already re-enact in a very different time frame. Perhaps a late 40s event would feel more at home to me. :)

It's been ages since I've been active on any forums, but I hope to find a new online home here.

Fond regards to all,

Ava ❤

Uberak

New in Town
Hello folks,

Stumbled upon this forum when I was searching for hats on the internet and found a place of people who wore "old-fashioned" clothing like me.

I am quite the fan of hats, partly because my family opposed them so much that I wear them as a sign of rebellion and partly because I find them awesome. And, I also happen to love greatcoats and trenchcoats for the same reason. However, I haven't really had the chance to wear what I want until recently because my parents really were against my admittedly unusual fashion sense. (Then again, I started growing a beard at the age of 15, and now, at the age of 18, I have a decent full beard.)

I also do enjoy some variety with caps of various types, and I do like to wear a sport jacket in summer. And, actual western and outback dusters sound like something that would be fun to wear eventually. But aside from that, I'm mostly into vintage and reproduction for the greatcoats of both military and civilian origin, western hats, and, of course, trenchcoats and fedoras. Hint, avoid the color black if you have a beard. On another note, I think a lot of the stuff I like actually goes back to even before the so-called "Golden Era", but I hope that won't be an issue.

Anyways, I guess I will hang around here and maybe post something occasionally.

Brownie

New in Town
Hello, and thanks for having me. I found the site while researching a vintage suit. I'm from North Carolina, a little bit west of Charlotte.

I guess my fascination with the vintage suit is somewhat recent, when I went looking for a new suit and went home empty handed and disappointed. I tried one of the the chain menswear stores and asked for a vested 42R in charcoal or Navy. They had three vested suits, the material had no texture and the jackets looked like a bag of ass, baggy and short. I was not impressed. I went home and started looking on eBay, where I picked up a charcoal gray soft wool 3-piece suit that fit like a glove right out of the box, I'm guessing early 80s vintage. I've bought 2 more and a sport jacket since then. I'll get some photos up once I get them tailored.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello, and thanks for having me. I found the site while researching a vintage suit. I'm from North Carolina, a little bit west of Charlotte. ...

It's good to see another member from North Carolina. How far west of Charlotte are you?

Brownie

New in Town
It's good to see another member from North Carolina. How far west of Charlotte are you?

About 20 miles or so. I'm in Lucia, between Mt Holly and Denver. Probably about an hour from Nebo. Do you know of any good tailors in the area that will fit a vintage suit properly?

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
Hello folks,

Stumbled upon this forum when I was searching for hats on the internet and found a place of people who wore "old-fashioned" clothing like me.

I am quite the fan of hats, partly because my family opposed them so much that I wear them as a sign of rebellion and partly because I find them awesome. And, I also happen to love greatcoats and trenchcoats for the same reason. However, I haven't really had the chance to wear what I want until recently because my parents really were against my admittedly unusual fashion sense. (Then again, I started growing a beard at the age of 15, and now, at the age of 18, I have a decent full beard.)

I also do enjoy some variety with caps of various types, and I do like to wear a sport jacket in summer. And, actual western and outback dusters sound like something that would be fun to wear eventually. But aside from that, I'm mostly into vintage and reproduction for the greatcoats of both military and civilian origin, western hats, and, of course, trenchcoats and fedoras. Hint, avoid the color black if you have a beard. On another note, I think a lot of the stuff I like actually goes back to even before the so-called "Golden Era", but I hope that won't be an issue.

Anyways, I guess I will hang around here and maybe post something occasionally.

Hi Uberak! I always find it poor taste when parents don't support their children in their pursuits. The love of vintage attire surely doesn't look like you're going off to cause trouble, lol. If anything, I would have thought most parents would find the change in wardrobe interesting and classy. I suppose it depends on were you live and how they accept the concept. But rebellious? -shrugs- At least you'll be supported here. :)

Big Man

About 20 miles or so. I'm in Lucia, between Mt Holly and Denver. Probably about an hour from Nebo. Do you know of any good tailors in the area that will fit a vintage suit properly?

I know right where that is located. We played Mt. Holly in football once when I was in high school about 1970 or 1971 (we beat them).

Sorry, I don't know of any tailors in this area. I've used a local lady who does alterations and have been pleased with her work; but as for true tailors, if you can't find one in Charlotte or Raleigh, then I wouldn't have a clue as where else in NC one might be.

Brownie

New in Town
I know right where that is located. We played Mt. Holly in football once when I was in high school about 1970 or 1971 (we beat them).

Sorry, I don't know of any tailors in this area. I've used a local lady who does alterations and have been pleased with her work; but as for true tailors, if you can't find one in Charlotte or Raleigh, then I wouldn't have a clue as where else in NC one might be.

I've been through Nebo a few times too, nice area. I go to estate sales and vintage shops around Charlotte once in a while and pass on a lot of good stuff that I can't wear. Send me a PM with specifics if there's anything you're looking for, if I run across something I'll meet you halfway on Hickory or Newton.

Big Man

I've been through Nebo a few times too, nice area. I go to estate sales and vintage shops around Charlotte once in a while and pass on a lot of good stuff that I can't wear. Send me a PM with specifics if there's anything you're looking for, if I run across something I'll meet you halfway on Hickory or Newton.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Gavin Ramejkis

New in Town
Evening all, another new member here from the UK, an avid wearer of Tweeds, Three Piece Suits including pocket watch and pocket squares to work (IT Consultancy in Banks etc) always had a love of hats especially Fedoras (wider brim) and Homburgs, am looking at buying a new Borsalino Fedora as I've quite a large head size at 24" and simply can't find a vintage Borsalino Fedora that would fit, do we have any Borsalino owners on here who can confirm if Borsalino sizing is on the larger or smaller side? So a 62cm isn't a 62 it's larger or smaller? It's quite an investment but one I would love to make and looking for some friendly advice

Last edited:

LadyBaltimore

Familiar Face
Hello all, happened upon The Fedora Lounge while looking for a list of classic hat makers, and then anxiously awaited a week for my account to be activated, because I was excited to have found some kindred people! Being in my early (or I guess 24 would be mid, I don't know) twenties, I find the majority of my peers are at best only vaguely interested in vintage clothing in relation to being trendy, and admittedly I think this may have been one of the original reasons I started looking towards vintage, but I have definitely fallen head over heels in love with it, and am now considering possible jobs I could pursue that would allow me to work with vintage/antiques and so forth on a daily basis. I really am interested in things that have a history and learning what that history is.

Looking forward to hopefully getting to know some of you! :eek:

Fermenter

New in Town
Hello ladies and gents, new member here from Southern NSW, Australia. I've found myself on this forum a lot over the last few years - for a while it was an Indiana Jones style jacket that obsessed me, but lately it's hats - and I've always enjoyed the discussions and the warm civility that pervades the place.

Decided that it's time to join up and join in!

shawnb777

New in Town
Hello and good evening ladies and gentlemen and our k9 companions, beautiful hat spike. Love beaver felt myself. Tried getting my image under yours on what hat are you wearing forum, but you got me on that one, maybe after the show you can school me? Beautiful dresses and tweeds are definitely in the lounge this evening as always, I happened upon this wonderful group while trying to learn about a fine 15 x beaver resistol I stumbled across recently and seem to be stuck in a mighty fine lounge now, I thank you all for allowing me in. I have been a straw western hat wearer since childhood but never cared for a felt, but I'm going to be shopping for felt from here on out, unfortunately my find is quite large for my small head so it will b on the market. But I thank you all for schooling me in such great yesteryears and hope to grow a fine collection of hats and friends here in THE Fedora lounge the place to be. Well the corns popping, an I'm going to have a good evening here with you all

Cfbaker12

New in Town
Hello all! I'm a new member here. A friend of mine sent me the link to the Fedora Lounge and told me to look it up. I love history, fashion and am constantly looking for something new to learn. This site has a wealth of information and I've enjoyed perusing the various topics (like how to starch a shirt the right way! Wow! I couldn't stop reading that post). I'm looking forward to learning new stuff and being comfortable with a bunch of people like me! :)

Jim Flynn

Familiar Face
Hello all. I'm a new joiner that has surfed the site on many occasions whilst researching one thing or another. My recent A2 jacket purchase was made with the help of what I have read on these pages and I have whiled away several hours reading about USAAF crushers and cool retro haircuts! I am a hat owner more than a hat wearer I would say. I am currently sat in my hotel room in Thailand watching the rain whilst my folding panama sits atop the television having regained its shape. Still haven't worn it outside but pop it on my head to peer at myself in the mirror sometimes. Perhaps tomorrow it will get an outing.

I am a former soldier and now work in the private security sector as a risk analyst which pays quite well so long as I follow the expat route and stay clear of the taxman. It's that that allowed me the freedom to splash out on the Eastman A2 since I had always fancied one but balked at the prices. Found a nicely pre-worn one on ebay that needed new cuffs and waist band fitting but I have yet to see it as it is still in the workshop. I hope it fits! Of course now I have the jacket I am thinking about doing a USAAF impression. I found some USAAF sunglasses on ebay so the ball has started rolling already. It doesn't stop does it!

miket5r

A-List Customer
Hello all.
I am Mike from Austria. I´ve found this page with goolge search for fedora hats.
I wear hats mainly in autumn and winter.
And i am a great western fan, of old style western wear.

mike:wave:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
My name's David, I'm 21 years of age, and I'm from the south suburbs of Chicago. I've got an adventurous spirit and hope to live out my days as a journalist, but I'm currently stuck as a laborer at a small crane rental company. As you can see by my avatar, I've got a bit bushy beard and a love for outdoorsman hats. The hat pictured is an Outback River Guide that I got my freshman year in college and have never been able to part with since, even considering it's tattered shape. Im also a big Indy and Jurassic Park fan, and have found the TLW: Jurassic Park thread on here immensely useful when I put together a customing guide for the character Roland Tembo for another forum I frequent. I'm a big vintage fan, especially WWII era, and hope to become a venerable member of this family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR