Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Dan'l

Practically Family
New in Town

Hello FL,

Let me start by saying this is a great site for like minded ladies and gents.

I've always enjoyed history and for the past five years have been involved in 18th century living history. This hobby lead me to start looking at clothing styles over the past 200+ years. That research ended up in my finding the FL.

Over the past year I've tried to "clean up my act" so to say. I don't have vintage clothing (yet) but when the mrs. and I go out I wear a tie and jacket and she wears a dress. I think our society has fallen far from the days when we would "dress up" just to "go to town," but that's just my personal thoughts regarding how we present ourselves in public.

I took up pipe smoking through my 18th century hobby and now, thanks to the FL I've learned a lot about different pipes and pipe tobbaco. I could say more about pipes but should probably post it in the Connoisseur.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found FL and am looking forward to learning more and sharing what I can with others.

Best wishes,
Dan'l

English Steve

New in Town
Another newb

Hello from deepest Devon, England.
I stumbled across this excellent forum while trying to research clothing for WW2 motorcyclists. I have been into old British 'bikes for years, but recently inherited a 1943 Harley-Davidson WLA which I am gradually getting back on the road, and would like to be able to dress the part at the appropriate times.
Also have a couple of old tractors ('49 Allis B and a '59 Dexta).
Due to a shortage of hair :eek: I also have a small collection of hats for various occasions, one of which is coincidentally a Fedora.
So, that's me - hope to be around for a while :)

stranger danger

New in Town
Hello, all!

You can call me K. or K-Dot. I have been lurking here for quite some time now, so I finally decided to join.

I am one of those people who had always enjoyed things way before my time, even when I was a little girl. I do not have the money (or the self-confidence!) yet to really get into dressing how I wish, but I still enjoy looking and imagining. I am not quite into everything in my wardrobe being "classic", but perhaps most things. And when I do, I plan to go all out and get as many details as I can right, hence another reason to join! At this point I cannot even walk in kitten heels, cannot apply makeup, and do not own a single classically-styled garment, so it will be wonderful to watch myself transform.

I go to university in Louisiana, but am originally from Texas. I love learning about anything and everything and will try my best to keep a careful watch on my potty mouth. ;) I suppose that is all I can share for now. I cannot wait to dive in!

SkullCowboy

New in Town
Tony Phillips here in Houston Tx. Found the place when I was checking hat prices online before I went shopping.

I just turned 50, work for a company that makes process control equipment, major hobbies are competition BBQ cooking, PC video gaming, collecting movies and finding any excuse to hang with friends and family. I enjoy all kinds of music from Tchaikovsky to Nine Inch Nails but my favorite is blues and jazz. My favorite movie is The Crow (hence my handle and avatar).

My first fedora was a souvenir from the Spruce Goose exhibit in Long Beach, Ca. It was a cheap felt Howard Hughes hat. I've had at least one on my hat rack ever since.

Be seein' ya!

Ever and Always
SkullCowboy

Black hat Lady

New in Town
Introduction

Hi Ladies

I just love black hats! Just a real craze of mine and dressing in black and bling with group of women and just going out and having fun is wonderful. It all started when I joined Ladies of the Hat (LOTH). We are only the group of Black Hat Banshees in New Zealand and we call ourselves Symphony in Black.
https://loth.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=773617&module_id=75709
I love browsing for retro or antique hats and accessories. Bring back the hat and elegance!

Joseph Ciotti

New in Town
Hi there~!

I'm really not new here, but I took a super-long hiatus for some reason or another. But hi there! I'm Joseph Ciotti [obviously], I am nineteen years old and I've been interested in vintage fashion [and I guess fashion in general] for nearly six years now. I'm not attending college quite yet, but will be doing so this autumn and majoring in psychology.

My hobbies tend to include that mixed of a gentleman, musician, and geek. I'm learning to play piano and the drums. I LOOOOOOOOOVE video games and almost any technology I can get my hands on. Cigars are great, Romeo y Julieta and H. Upmann are my current favorites. I want to start playing tennis a bit again, but I REALLY want to learn how to fence and do better at boxing.

You can look around the forums to see what I look like. I'm nearly six-foot tall [and still growing], I have black hair and green eyes with an olive complexion. I'm pretty laid-back, don't be afraid to get to know me! I don't bite. :p

chicanoir

New in Town
salutations

and greetings from sunny california! i've been a side-watcher of this here forum for a long time and decided to join when i realized that i have had far too many old-timey quandaries that went unanswered because lack of folks with the same interests. so here i be.

i direct/design/write for the stage and my day job is managing a theater company in downtown los angeles. i have a fantastic hubby whose life is 60s subculture (skinhead/mod/northern soul) and a 5 year-old kiddo who is just the knees of bees.

i love art deco, steam punk, beats and gibson girls. i adore vintage and DIY home furnishings...i'm a tambourine beating accordion player in training and a tap lover. i'd really love to learn how to play the theremin and saw in the near future...i'm in awe of the sea and her mysteries (octopi in particular). fave color is black and i love the smell of coconut and sandalwood (mixed together). i drink a lot of bourbon with ginger ale.

i'm a mover and shaker, shaker and mover and glad to be here.

B.Golightly

New in Town
Greetings from sweaty East Texas!

If I may introduce myself, I'm new to this little corner of the tubes - at least as a member; I've skimmed more than a few threads prior to finally registering.

With some regret, I must confess that my tastes for styles gone by run a bit thinner than many of the esteemed regulars. I admire the class and courtesy, though, and while I might not dress the part properly, my sense of style is quite heavily informed by those halcyon days. I'm not much of a fedora man, though it's probably because I just haven't found the right one, and while my day-to-day attire is most likely faded jeans cuffed over oxblood steel-toed boots. Classy? Hardly - but when proper attire is warranted, stand clear.

My truest love lies with classic motorcycles - I made the first leap in that direction in purchasing a Royal Enfield (say what you will about build quality - it's a magical dream machine). Maybe someday, I'll manage to lay my grubby paws on a Brough or a Vincent, but for the time being, I must satisfy myself with the shadow of bygone days offered by Royal Enfield.

Beyond that, I've an appetite for dark leather and walnut furniture, big band music, a fine glass of port, and meerschaum pipes.

Oh, and call me David. I am not the legendary Major Bertram Golightly - merely a hanger-on or tribute-maker.

superfurry

New in Town
hi everyone, i feel i should introduce myself as i've been lurking and learning quite a bit lately, and it feels rude not to, but as i'm new to the whole vintage thing i don't have much info or experience to share, so i can't really jump in on the current threads.

my name's soph, i'm in the uk and i'm a long-time crafter and blogger (my blog, stitch). i'm hoping to start a degree in textile design next year, which has the option to focus on either fashion or interiors. i realised i've not really explored the world of fashion, which led to me deciding to start sewing for myself (i've previously only really sewn for my 2 girls), which - somehow! - led to vintage patterns, which led to sew retro, which led me here :)

i'm never happier than when i'm learning something new, and i'm learning bucketloads being here, thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge and enthusiasm.

Lottie

Familiar Face
Hello there,
I, too, have been lurking for quite a while now and thought it'd be about time to join and introduce myself:
I'm Lotte from Berlin, Germany. I'm can't dress retro on a daily basis, but I'm retrofying my life somewhat right now :) My main interest lies in the 40s and 50s with some 30s and 60s added to it.

Photobud

New in Town
Hi! I've lurked for a while and finally got around to joining. I have been in love with vintage since i was a little one. I grew up watching Marx Brothers films, and many fifties movies, especially musicals. My heart belongs in the past, but i'm stuck here to stay, at least I have found an amazing place like this where other people share my passion. Yay!!:D

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
Greetings from another Newbie

Hello Ladies,

After several days of lurking, I reckoned it was time to introduce myself.
I am a long time history buff. Recently in an attempt to infuse some individuality into my rather boring, very neutral work wardrobe, I discovered "Gertie's Blog for Better Sewing" and she in turn led me to you. So here I am, surrounded with vintage patterns, impulsively purchased on ebay, deciding which garment needs to be added to my collection next.

It was lovely to find so many people who share this interest.

Cheers!

Miranda

Seamsdistress

New in Town
New in town for sure!

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Emylou and I am super new here! I'm not quite sure how I found this site but sure glad I did! I live in San Francisco, California and work for an animation studio in Emeryville, Ca. I love to dance, cook and laugh. I grew up watching my mom refashion clothes for us from our old clothes, and took some sewing classes in college but have no "formal" training. Lately I have become obsessed with clothing construction and lately even more obsessed with ALFRED SHAHEEN!! It really is true that they just don't make dresses the way they used! So here I am trying to tap into this great resource of good people and friendly advice and help!

Although I don't dress in vintage clothes all the time I do have a DEEP appreciation for the clothes! Please feel free to say hi or PM me anytime!

Cats Meow

New in Town
Hi there,
Just signed up and still reeling from all the info!
I'm a 32 yr old Dutchie currently living in Sydney (Aus) and loving it.
I've got a penchant for the fashion and style of the roaring 20's but since I'm a bit too curvy too carry that style off I'm just as happy (or even more) in the 40's and 50's. I've got an obsession for vintage china and green shoes, my hobbies are photography,reading and cooking and my next big task is to master at least 7 vintage hairdo's, so I'll probably be in the powder room a lot.
I love the sense of glamour and style from the past, I can't get over the fact how boring fashion nowadays is if compared. (especially for men)
I'll try to check in as often as possible with a cup of tea or a cherry martini..

vwdolly

Vendor
Long time lurker ... hello all !

Hello Ladies, I joined some time ago and I have also lurked on here for quite a while. I am an avid vintage wearer and also run a gents online vintage clothing shop.
I usualy peak on here when I am researching something as there is always a great amount of knowledge.
I tend to mix vintage & modern in my own wardrobe, but have a real love of 50's / 60's clothing.
I love to wear something that I know wont be seen on anyone else!! :)

Denise xx

purplestar

New in Town
Normally just browsing...

....but thought I'd say hello for a change! I've been here a while, researching and the like, but thought, if I ever want to post it'd be rude not to introduce myself first :)

Cats Meow

New in Town
Hi ladies,
I thought I might introduce myself here as well, since I probably will be spending a lot of time here lurking around..
I love vintage, especially from the 20's but adore the style and class of the 40's&50's, it was so classy yet sexy!And don't get me started on the hairdo's!
So now I'm going to do some reading :D

Kookie Kittie

New in Town
Hey Dolls!

I just joined a few days ago and wanted to say hi! My name is Tasia, and I'm weak in the knees for late 1920s to early 60s fashion. I seem to be in the 50s swing theme lately though. i make vintage inspired clothing and sell them online. Drop me a line at my new blog kookiekittie. its not much right now, but more of my sketches and completed pieces are soon to come!

dpyper

New in Town
Good Morning from Sunny (for once) Yorkshire
I am originally from Northern Ireland, 42 yo male happily married.
Starting to get more interested in this period as started with 1940's and doing living history British infantry and Artillery. But as ever mission creep happens so am starting to be interested in Pre and immediatly post war periods.
I like the era of Empire and Colonies with opportunities. Leaving behind a country still getting over a civil war and partition. For new opportunities and adventures. But also becoming more interested in British life in this period.
So will be trying to pick up items and clothing for this period as well as information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy