Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

xequar

New in Town
Hello

I stumbled on this place while looking for decorating and material ideas for my new house, a big 1940 colonial. I'll have to post some pics, as the bathrooms are all original, and parts of the kitchen are original as well. Hopefully someone will appreciate them!

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
Hi ladies, I'm niki. I'm 22 and live in London, UK.
I'm a student, pin-up model and work in a bridal shop.
My style is very 40's/50's. I make most of my own clothes from vintage patterns and vintage vogue patterns.
I love rockabilly/psychobilly music.

anything you want to know about me, just ask. :)

Cora

New in Town
Hey there, Niki!

Would love to see some of those pin-up shoots, if you don't mind sharing! I've always wanted to give it a shot, but I'm still working on my being way too body-conscious.

Welcome to TFL!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Greetings!

Hello all; I'm Dakota! I've been using the Powder Room and Beauty threads here for at least a couple of years, and they've been such a fabulous resource. I know I'm going to sound totally creepy here, but I feel like I already know you! Today I decided I might as well "step out" and join you all, so here I am!

About me: I'm seventeen, but I've been wearing vintage since I was fourteen. My first love, like so many of you, was the 1950's red-lipped rockabilly look; I also had a brief fling with the 60s mod look last fall. My everyday wardrobe is mostly made up of 1950s dresses and separates, but I like accessories (hats, jewelry, lace collars, purses, etc) from the Victorian era to the 1940s. I collect antique clothes (mostly Edwardian and 1920s), but they're mainly just hanging on my walls, waiting for the right occasion, ha ha! I've never owned any repro, but I just got a sewing machine for free and I really want to start making some; seems a lot more practical for everyday wear than all my poor old relics. I must seem like a real clothes horse, but luckily I live in rural Vermont, where junk shops, thrift stores, and musty back road antique shops are plentiful; the most I've ever spent on an item of vintage clothing is $47, and I was wrought with guilt for weeks after lol I also like old country and folk music (on vinyl, of course!), horses (I'm a barrel racer), and I love books and classic films.

OK, so sorry to ramble like that; I'm just really excited to be part of a community where vintage chatter is considered normal, ha ha!! I look forward to meeting you all. :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Howdy All

Rodeo Rose I felt and still feel the same way (that I know everyone even though all I do is read their post). I used to do some barrel racing in my younger days and love old country, western swing, hillbilly, and honky tonk. Welcome aboard.

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
Cora said:
Hey there, Niki!

Would love to see some of those pin-up shoots, if you don't mind sharing! I've always wanted to give it a shot, but I'm still working on my being way too body-conscious.

Welcome to TFL!

Aw thank you for the welcome :)

I'm on pinuplifestyle.com. Although, I don't put alot of my work up there.
You really should give it a shot :) it gives you so much confidence, and as a large girl thats hard to come by lol

Gogo

New in Town
Hi ladies! I'm another long-time lurker who's recently stuck her head over the parapet and joined in the conversation. This whole era is just so fascinating to me... mostly what I do is vintage knitting, and when I get it together I plan to post a few pics of the vintage items I've knitted from 30s, 40s and 50s patterns.

I would love to get into sewing and I recently bought a beautiful old Singer machine, early 70s, and had it serviced ready for action. I'd love to start sewing dresses and skirts but I have no idea where to begin. If vintage knitting is anything to learn by, I'd need to get pretty proficient with modern sewing before I ventured into vintage.

Anyway... hello to everyone here. This is the most amazing resource and I'm completely sold on the place.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Gogo said:
Hi ladies! I'm another long-time lurker who's recently stuck her head over the parapet and joined in the conversation. This whole era is just so fascinating to me... mostly what I do is vintage knitting, and when I get it together I plan to post a few pics of the vintage items I've knitted from 30s, 40s and 50s patterns.

I would love to get into sewing and I recently bought a beautiful old Singer machine, early 70s, and had it serviced ready for action. I'd love to start sewing dresses and skirts but I have no idea where to begin. If vintage knitting is anything to learn by, I'd need to get pretty proficient with modern sewing before I ventured into vintage.

Anyway... hello to everyone here. This is the most amazing resource and I'm completely sold on the place.

Try taking a community education or local sewing shop class they can be really good for getting the basics also make friends with a sewer that can answer questions that arise while sewing. I think knitting is way harder than sewing but probably only because my knitting is worse than my sewing.

Welcome by the way.

Gogo

New in Town
Hi, Land-o-Lakes! Nice to meet you. It's a great suggestion, I will look out to see if there's something in my area... I've been knitting for years but sewing is something new to me. Seems to me you can always correct a mistake in knitting but not sure if you can do the same with fabric, scissors and thread! And mistakes in sewing are a lot more expensive too! Still, the results are more than worth it, judging by some of the pics posted on this site.

sportell

New in Town
Happy to be here...

Well, it seems I'm a little late to join this board. But I love it. I especially loved the links for long hair in the 30s. I refuse to cut mine, as I participate in many Medieval events and long hair is better for these.

I am fairly new to the whole vintage thing. I have always loved old Hollywood movies, starting with the silent era. I loved some of their clothes, but that was it. Now that I've been researching and sewing Medieval and Renaissance garb, it has taught me how to research 30s and 50s clothes that I love so much. I have recently purchased tons of 50s and some 30s clothing patterns. Actual original patterns. But then I became pregnant. So I've now picked up a few 50s early 60s maternity patterns. I plan to start sewing in a few weeks after I finish the Renaissance dress I need ASAP for an event and some embroidery for people. Then I cannot wait to stop wearing my one fitting pair of jeans and my man's ultra large flannel shirts.

I'm also into the hair styles. Again, I shall keep my hair long, but I just tried my hand at fake rolled bangs. They weren't bad for a first try. I just ordered some rats to do a cleaner job of it from now on. YAY! My man loved the look and looks forward to me replacing my jeans and shirts wardrobe with vintage styles.

And luckiest of all, my man is willing to wear almost anything. I've asked him about the frilliest Renaissance garb I could think of and some odd Persian styles. He was quite game and looks forward to the garb. So when I mentioned vintage clothes, that was a no brainer for him. Heck, that was incredibly normal in comparison.

I also plan to have my kids wear a number of the clothes. My daughter loves when I make her dresses and my son thinks the clothes from the 50s are cool. I don't think I could get him into 30s short pants, but the 50s are fun for him. As we're already the weird one's in town, being the only Americans in this small town in Germany, we won't stand out too much more.

And I look forward to reading more on the boards and helping where I can.

BettieHousewife

New in Town
No more lurking ;)

Hello Guys and Dolls!
FINALLY I am back online with a computer that works properly. Figured it was about time I introduced myself-I'm Candi, 26, from Vic, Australia. Have followed this site for aaages...I could spend HOURS reading all your posts! I feel very at home with all you lovely vintage folks-finally, people that understand and share my interest and passion in all things vintage!!
Would love to make some new friends on here...people like us are few and far between where I live:(

Hi Candi,
we have a number of people that are in Australia. With a little luck you'll be able to hit some events in your area thast others may visit!

Remember you need to hit 15 posts to become vested and other areas will open up to you at the Fedora Lounge.

John

marcoshark

New in Town
Hello Board!

I'm originally from Brooklyn NY, now living in Southwest FL. Here is some background info. MY love of Old Time Radio and Jazz was instilled in me by my Mom who use to work in Radio as a Producer (WNYE, VOA). I like hats too. I don't know where that came from, maybe old movies? (I use to buy my Hats at Worth and Worth, FWIW). I also have a love of Aviation. I learned to fly at the old Flushing Airport and knew how to fly before I knew how to drive! I currently work for a major tech company, but had a previous career as a pixel pusher. I am also a photographer..

So, hello gang!

Welcome every one! Everyone here is glad to see that we are able to connect with vintage lovers from all around the world. This is a neat place to learn and share what you know. Please be sure to get involved in conversations and join in the polite discourse that we have here.

Many sections have one or more Sticky threads at the top. Some of these are important as they will outline what the section is about so the threads posted are on target and not extraneous to the section theme. Some Stickies have what other sites call FAQ's Frequently Asked Questions reference material so they are good to check out if you're interested in a subject. An area that prompts many visits and questions has to do with mens hats and there are some stickies in the hat section that will help a novice. However don't be shy and not ask a question if you have one or if something doesn't clarify what you want to understand. If you have a question chances are others do also so you are helping them too.

Again 15 posts is the magic number that will open up other stuff. Remember that a short post Like "nice picture" or "that's a great suit" counts as much as a lengthy disertation on the migration habits of lemmings.

Have fun! And check out the Events section when you hit 15 posts, there may be something going on close to you.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Welcome Gogo and Sportell! Yay, I'm so glad I'm not the only one just getting started in sewing!

And Sportell: Hurrah for long hair! Mine is waist-length; I sometimes get the urge to just chop some of it off when I see a beautifully set middy, but long hair really is so versatile. If you have any tips for setting it, though, please share! :)

Katarina

New in Town
Hello, everybody! I'm Katarina (or Kat) and I'm a longtime-lurker, third-time poster. I'm 22 and am gradually incorporating more and more vintage elements into my wardrobe. Mondays through Fridays, I'm completely dressed up in 40s-esque shirts, curls, pencil skirts, red lipstick and heels (which elicits a big what-the-freak on campus!), but I take the weekends off and dress like a walking Urban Outfitters advertisement.

I know how to knit and tat, but I've never tackled a large project such as a sweater. That's one of my goals this year (for what's left of it), and the gorgeous works I've seen in the threads on this board have truly inspired me to make something beautiful.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone for the wealth of information on this board and on the entire forum, and I hope I can help contribute!

Looking forward to chatting with you all! :)

vermillion

New in Town
Hello new here

I'm Claire, and I'm fairly new to the vintage collectors club.

I first started out with the basic pin curl set when I was wanting to look a little more sophisticated in my LBD for a cocktail night last year, and its spiralled out from there. I'm attracted to 1920's, 30's the 40's business suit, 50's cocktail dresses and anything ball gown. Sleek, and a little bit more Vermona than Betty if you catch my drift.

I'm here because I want to build on my love of all things vintage. I am finding it difficault to find things that fit with my size, since I am a curvy upside down pear shape.

I'm a 39 inch bust, 38 waist and 37 hip and i'm long in the torso. which is a pain.

I'm interested in sewing my own designs based on simple past designs but have no sewing experience whatsoever so thought I'd get inspired and then see about doing some simple stitching. :)

Thanks for making this community wonderful

GinnyDee

New in Town
Hello there!

Hi ladies,
I'm Breton Virginia from Toronto, Canada...I am a pin-up model and Burlesque dancer since 2006.

I am a bit obsessive when it comes to everything pre mid-1960s. I collect everything from plates to jewelery. It's wonderful to find a community of like-minded people. Anyone else from Ontario?

xo Breton Virginia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo