Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Gary Menten

New in Town
Hey guys! My name Gary and I've been a hat guy all my life. Big fan of Bogart films and anything 40's and 50's retro as well. I hadn't owned a fedora in years but got myself one from Miller Hats just recently to go with the vintage Graflex press camera I restored last year. I really like everything about the site, the forums, the info from the other members. It's all tops.

GrailProf

New in Town
Hello to all! I did this briefly via another thread yesterday, but I'll add a few more things to what I first offered. College English instructor for far too long, SCUBA diver/Reserve Police, but most important, happily married for 25 years now and having a great time watching four children mature and stretch their wings. I've done historical reenacting/character interpretation for 20 years, but have survived with a latent love of things vintage. More specifically, and perhaps oddly, I could die happily as a fixed character in either the James Herriott series "All Creatures Great And Small," or the Jeremy Brett "Holmes" series. The clothes, the style, the integrity and civility of the people portrayed in those series often makes me question just how far we've advanced.

I love reading obviously and do some writing; however, I find great outlet in the little hobbies of my life that keep me focused on the past. Cheers!

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Hi, I’m Charlie. I’m in my late 40’s (don’t know how that happened) and I stumbled onto this site about a year ago from doing some WWII research (my father was an army veteran). Having grown up with parents lived through the depression, I got an appreciation for big band music (I do play trumpet was in jazz band in High School).

I have been wearing an old brown fedora for about 20years. It has faded to a kind of olive color, and has some droop, so last year I bough a new Indy, but still have the old one around for really bad weather days. I also have a straw fedora for the hot, sticky PA summers.

Although I work as a Computer Systems Manager, I went back to college to get a degree in applied history, and also volunteer at our local historical society in the library/archives. My special areas of interest are architectural and technological history.

I love the era from the 20’s to the 40’s, especially the Art Deco/Streamline Moderne styling and (as you might have guessed by my avatar) have been a train nut all my life.

Really glad I found the Lounge!

Regards

rue

Oops! I suppose I should have done this already....

:eek:
Hi everyone! I just joined the forum a few days ago, but I've been lurking as a nonmember for quite a while now.

About me... I was born and raised in California and then eventually moved with my Army husband to his home sate of Ohio about 4 years ago. I have two children 20 and 15 and two stepsons 16 and 13. I've always been fascinated with anything old.... houses, movies, clothing, cars, music etc. I started out fascinated with the fashions of 1860s as a small child and eventually the 1930's - early 1950s stole my heart as well. I spent most of my life trying to fit in with the so called norm, but a short while after turning 40 (a life changing age for me anyway), I embraced the vintage lifestyle that I've always loved and slowly have just started wearing vintage hair and clothes instead of just admiring them from afar. I'm trying not to freak out my teenage daughter too much ;)

Anyway, I'm thrilled to be here :)

Rottweiler

New in Town
Hi there ladies and gents. I'm Michael, a senior at the University of Oregon majoring in journalism. When I started here, I realized that since it rains so often in the Pacific Northwet, I oughta have a wide-brimmed felt hat and a calf-length raincoat. So I asked myself, "Self, what are the most stylish items within those parameters I can afford?" Since I've always been a fan of Golden Era films, I decided I'd try for the Rick from Casablanca look with a Jaxon Bogart fedora and surplus USMC all-weather coat. Of course, that meant no shabby casual clothes underneath, so one purchase led to another... as you can see:

Bogart.jpg

So far, my other vintage interests are swing dance and living in a three-story 1920s house with nine other students. I'm such an old-fashioned fella at heart, I imagine things will only expand. I'm glad to be here.

Ronald

New in Town
Hello all

My name is Ronald and from Belgium. I am an oldtimer at Club Obi Wan and now I have finally arrived here. I'm a journalist and a historian and currently working on my first ever book which will be the memoirs of a US WW2 paratrooper. Still lot of work to be done as it's my first time ofcourse. Lets hope the second one will go smoother!
Best wishes from Belgium

Ron

amatras

New in Town
Hello, I'm Alex

I'm very excited to have found this site! I'm an engineer and live in northern Alabama. I'm a big fan of the animation from the golden age and love the clothes, hats and cars from back then. I'm am looking to get a nice 30s era suit to wear about town.

Mercy

New in Town
New here, obviously, but I have been lurking for quite some time. How can you not like a classy joint like this! I'm facinated by the era, its clothes, its culture and yes even the mythology we've built around it...but oh isn't it grand?

Mark D

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone. My name is Mark D from NH; by way of Manhattan as I like to say as I'm originally from NY. I came upon the site a while back when I picked up a copy of Classical Style Magazine. I've been peeking in periodically since then.

I can't tell you how pleased I am to find a place full of folks who share the same interests that I do.

Last edited:

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
Hello. My name is Trent. The "Antelope" moniker comes from the boy scout wood badge training. I found this website totally by accident. Was very pleased to find there are so many hat lovers out there. I reside in a very small town in Illinois and it appears that there are only a few of us hat wearing gentlemen in the vicinity. Plenty of ball caps, but not very many actual hats. I've got a few ball caps too, but nothing beats the real thing.

My avitar picture is from 1989. The fedora was one I purchased in Vienna. Yeah, while my chums were buying "Rock Me Amadeus" T-shirts I was checking out a hat maker's. It was always too small, though and I finally gave it to a friend whose mellon was a little smaller than mine. I haven't seen the friend or my old hat in over five years.

Last edited:

LittleMissPussyCat

Familiar Face
Hi I am Caroline, I live in Yorkshire, United Kingdom, with my Husband and 3 of my children (my eldest is in the armed forces so only lives at home part time).

I have always loved vintage style and glamour, having grown up with very stylish grandparents (former acting industry) and a very glamorous mother (albeit in 1970's fashion).

LittleMissPussyCat

Familiar Face
Hello I am Caroline. I live in Yorkshire, England.

I have been aware of the fedora lounge for a while but had issues joining so gave up a couple of times.

I love everything vintage, and truly believe I was born in the wrong era. My favourite eras currently 30's - early 60's, and Regency (we were married in full regency garb) through to Edwardian, 20's I like some of, but not a fan of flapper style. Not keen on 60's mini skirts, or anything after that.

Have always loved hats, and frilly petticoats.

rue

Somehow I missed this thread.... oops!

I already introduced myself here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?13888-New-Ladies-and-Gents-Step-Forward/page167 , but thought I should say hello here as well. I've been a bit OCD with my posts to different threads, so some of you have probably seen me already. A basic rundown..... I'm married to an Army man and we have 4 children combined. At this late stage in my life (40), I've finally decided to start looking the part instead of just admiring it from afar. Better late than never, right? ;)

Anyway, I'm really excited to have found this site, especially after thinking I was mostly alone with my love of all things vintage :)

Hatstruck

Familiar Face
Hello

Hello everyone. I've been visiting the lounge for years now and finally decided to join. I love the hats and clothing of the 20s through the 40s, and some of the 50s. I love making hats, talking about hats, and helping those interested in making hats to learn how to make them. The majority of the hats I make are women hats but I also love the fedora and plan to make more of them in the future.

Hatstruck
http://hatstruck.blogspot.com

Jools

New in Town
I stumbled across this site while looking for 1940s haistyles! Imagine my delight! I have always loved vintage clothes; partially because my grandmother kept quite a few items from Edwardian through the 1920s. (she was born in 1890.) My mom kept quite a few things from the 1940s and 1950s...I was married in the same dress and veil she wore in 1948. (sadly, could not wear her shoes, satin wedgies, as my feet were smaller than hers.) I have a huge collection of vintage hats, gloves, purses, evening bags, and coats. Not so many dresses as I'd like, but I can't keep everything!
I'm an unemployed editor from Seattle, WA, USA. I recently got decked out in 1940s evening wear for an event, and was shocked and amazed at how much better I look in 1940s makeup and hairstyles.
I am putting on a vintage fashion show soon for a private party, recreating the famed "Frederick & Nelson Tearoom", a department store that was in Seatlte for over 100 years. (it was part of Marshall Fields at one time.) If anyone here is from Seattle, and would like to help out (modeling, wearing your own vintage clothes from F & N), let me know.

Jools

New in Town
PS, that is an authentic Thompson machine gun my friend is holding. I'm the one in white, wearing my "South American Dictator's Wife Hat."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk