Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
And then there's the theatres in Ocean City, NJ!! The Strand, the Moorlyn,and the Surf! The Strand and Moorlyn are still in operation, but they have been stripped of their art-deco wonderfullness in place of ugly multi-plexness. The "before and after" photos make me whince! Everytime I pass by them on the boardwalk I also whince! Sometimes I'm on the verge of tears.

The Surf is now a boardwalk "mall" -- again, I look for vestiges of a vintage movie theatre every time I go in there. And I whince ;)

http://www.moorlyn.com

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Oh, my

Amy Jeanne said:
And then there's the theatres in Ocean City, NJ!! The Strand, the Moorlyn,and the Surf! The Strand and Moorlyn are still in operation, but they have been stripped of their art-deco wonderfullness in place of ugly multi-plexness. The "before and after" photos make me whince! Everytime I pass by them on the boardwalk I also whince! Sometimes I'm on the verge of tears.

The Surf is now a boardwalk "mall" -- again, I look for vestiges of a vintage movie theatre every time I go in there. And I whince ;)

http://www.moorlyn.com

Where I grew up, they took one of our old, grand theatres (The Strand) and made it an arcade, then a dollar store and now I think it's closed completely. The Strand was a part of great little downtown "main street' where you could buy tailored clothes, toys, good food. Now it just struggles along with a lot of vacant storefronts and things that haven't lasted.

I love finding towns that really recognize the importance of a classic cinema house, a bookstore and "mom and pop" stores (the other forum). You usually find that the towns are safe, alive and even fun.

Are you in the theatre business or do you volunteer with theatres? We love Philly, btw! Some of the best exhibits I've ever seen have been at The Philadelphia Museum of Art. What a great space and a great city. :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Mahinatakataka said:
Where I grew up, they took one of our old, grand theatres (The Strand) and made it an arcade, then a dollar store and now I think it's closed completely. .

Are you in the theatre business or do you volunteer with theatres?

The Strand in Ocean City was UNCHANGED from it's opening in 1938 until it's selling to a majour theatre chain in 1989 (scumbags!), who gutted the art-deco beauty of it to make room for 5 screens. The lobby is now home to ugly Rita's Water Ice!! Makes my heart sink just writing this response.

I put my name in for volunteer at the Landis Theatre and a very old theatre in Millville, NJ called the Levoy. I never got a response back. I think volunteer work has been temporarily halted on both buildings, though.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Amy and Mahinatakataka,

Your links to all of these old theaters are fantastic! We actually have a thread where people can post pictures of old theaters that they like, or live near. Your links would be a great addition to this thread, so check it out if you'd like:)

:cheers1:
Daisy

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love Lucy The Elephant!!

And thanks for the thread on theatres -- I searched for one the other day, but must have missed it.

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Daisy Buchanan said:
Hey Amy and Mahinatakataka,

Your links to all of these old theaters are fantastic! We actually have a thread where people can post pictures of old theaters that they like, or live near. Your links would be a great addition to this thread, so check it out if you'd like:)

Daisy

Thanks, Daisy. The Fedora Lounge has been an interesting and amazing find. Given how many people here gravitate to things like old theatres and entertainment history, I think there may be hope for some "Cinema Treasures" out there waiting for the wrecking ball!

Thanks for the thread link :)

Belinda

New in Town
Hello

Hello,

I became a member last week after coming across this fabulous site while trying to find some 1930's dresses for a friend who is having a deco inspired wedding.

I love all vintage from 1930's - 1950's and have recently started buying old patterns so I can make my own clothes.

Looking at all your photos and posts - you have such fabulous clothes, hats and shoes. We are a bit more limited in Australia (I am in Melbourne) hence my decision to make my own.

I was wondering How do you all get such authentic looking makeup? How do you know how to apply the eye liner etc?

Thanks!

Jeynne

New in Town
Hello everyone. My name is Jenne and to be honest...I can't remember how I found this board. I'm glad I did though, I was looking through some of the older posts one day (before I joined) and I learned how to apply liquid eyeliner without getting it all over the place. :)

If I had to choose a favorite era, it would probably be the 40's, but I pretty much love the 20's - 50's.

It's nice to see so many other people that can appreciate anything that happened before the 2000's.

Lady Blue

Familiar Face
Hello!

I'm brand new to the Fedora Lounge and thought this would be a great place to begin!
I'm 25 and live in Chicago. I have been enamored by hats as long as I can remember. I particularly love hats from the vintage era because I believe that that era just has so much individual style in their clothes that is really lost on modern styles. I just recently bought my first fedora from Optimo and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I'm very glad to have found this site that is dedicated to the Golden Era!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh cool, another Lady :D

Welcome. I was just scanning this thread looking back, its fun. There is a wealth of stuff here, dive in and enjoy. If you stumble a bit, do not fret, we have all had those 'runs in our stockings' days.

Have fun!

LD

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Hi gals...have been posting but not introduced myself how rude.....Its because i have been so excited and squeaking since discovering this spectacular wealth of info....It all started when i wanted to investigate 1940's hairstyles. And it led me here (squeak , squeak ) I live the country dream in a cottage old and full of charm. With my four beautiful children and my man. I don't get out much to dress up but when i do i go the whole hog.....I love going to lost vagueness It is some kind of wonderful a chance to really dress up ...and drool over other peoples offerings. The performers are divine and burlesque. I go to the coronet do's where charlie Chaplin started out.
I love the 1940's -50's look the most at the moment...but my wardrobe has some vintage victorian to 1960's stuff. I did fashion design at college and have always had a passion for costume. I have ebay sickness as i see many of you do.....

I love to bake cakes like to think i am domestic goddess....complete with polka dot apron ( which i make to order, aprons not cake ) always tea and cake available in my house.
:eusa_clap
I simply adore this site well done all of you for making such a brilliant place to share and drool ( squeak squeak )!!:D

missmelly

One of the Regulars
Hi! My name is Melanie and it has taken me over a month to look through all the interesting posts and topics. I live in soggy Portland Oregon. I love vintage style but focus mainly on the teens to the 30s. I'm really into dressing up like Clara Bow and Louise Brooks right now. My job makes it hard for me to dress up glamorously but my house is decorated in vintage themes. I love to play around with my hair and create new updos but right now, I have a bob haircut so I can only do pincurls.
I sew as a hobby but don't do it enough. I'd like to start buying vintage patterns and to make pretty flapper dresses.
I also like to make jewelry, decorate hats and decorate with decoupage.
I collect vintage travel items such as luggage, posters and postcards...
I look forward to chatting with you all some more.
.:Miss Melly:.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Cheesecakecutie said:
*snip*...I love going to lost vagueness It is some kind of wonderful a chance to really dress up ...and drool over other peoples offerings. The performers are divine and burlesque...

This sounds/looks absolutely fascinating!!!!

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Hello ladies,

I've been here a couple months and wanted to make an official "Howdy."

I was sent here to FL via a vintage lifestyle community I'm part of, and I was quite happy to find it! What a great resource and such wonderful people too.

I recently moved to Portland, OR from my hometown of Chicago, and I have to say, the stories about Portland are much more dramatic than the reality. It's *really lovely* here and the Winter isn't bad in the slightest.

I'm hoping to meet some FL'ers who are out this way too. The idea has been kicked around, so hopefully, at some point. I will be back in Chicago for a week in March, but sadly it won't fall during the FL get together.

I have a penchant for 30's-50's clothing and decor. I am a sucker for streamline and deco. While roughly half of my wardrobe is vintage, I often prefer to mix old and new as I like the way they can make each other more vivid, and sharper, by juxtaposing one another. I'm also passionate about classic hair and makeup too.

For work, I do wine and welcome all and any questions regarding any aspect of it, so should you find yourselves confused in the wine aisle or when pairing your meals, I'd be more than happy to help out.

During the rest of my time I write, explore the town, walk aimlessly, and watch movies.

I'm glad to be here and to meet you all in this forum.

Cheers,
Jill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes