Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

ThankfulGirl

New in Town
I'm back.... the artist formerly known as Kishtu but lost my login... demmit. I love the New Look but it doesn't love me, so I'm slowly readjusting my ambitions to the 40s look instead.
Author (17th century historical thrillers - no sales pitches from this quarter!) embroider-er, dressmaker, mother of cats, wife, and general multishirker. Looking forward to asking dumb questions about gloves. No photos. (Seriously - I have rosacea, and I am very self-conscious about my looks. Hence the desire to "dress up", I guess.)
Good to be back :-D

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm back.... the artist formerly known as Kishtu but lost my login... demmit. I love the New Look but it doesn't love me, so I'm slowly readjusting my ambitions to the 40s look instead.
Author (17th century historical thrillers - no sales pitches from this quarter!) embroider-er, dressmaker, mother of cats, wife, and general multishirker. Looking forward to asking dumb questions about gloves. No photos. (Seriously - I have rosacea, and I am very self-conscious about my looks. Hence the desire to "dress up", I guess.)

Welcome back!

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I’m not a new member, but I’ve been away for several years. I was reasonably active here for awhile, but life got too busy and I had to make valuable use of my time. Things have slowed down in the last few months, so I thought I might occasionally jump back into the fray. I see a few familiar names from years past and some that were quite active are no longer here. Greetings to everyone.

Big Man

I’m not a new member, but I’ve been away for several years. I was reasonably active here for awhile, but life got too busy and I had to make valuable use of my time. Things have slowed down in the last few months, so I thought I might occasionally jump back into the fray. I see a few familiar names from years past and some that were quite active are no longer here. Greetings to everyone.

Welcome back.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have noticed the same thing, although I haven't left. Someone will bring up an old thread, and I will notice names who are no longer with us.

I joined in January, 2006, and many who were active then no longer post. I always wonder what happened to them.

Welcome back.

Hammerwoman

New in Town
I'm Gail, I'm new here. . . but I'm undeniably a vintage girl myself, no matter what I'm wearing. I love wool, cotton, custom leather, and old motorcycles- cafe racers, dirt-trackers, vintage race bikes. I'm a nurse, semi-retiring into massage therapy, knitter, gardener, ex-roller derby referee.

Big Man

I'm Gail, I'm new here. . . but I'm undeniably a vintage girl myself, no matter what I'm wearing. I love wool, cotton, custom leather, and old motorcycles- cafe racers, dirt-trackers, vintage race bikes. I'm a nurse, semi-retiring into massage therapy, knitter, gardener, ex-roller derby referee.

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge.

Welcome.

Woodtroll

One Too Many

Welcome to the Lounge! Sounds like you're a very well-rounded person with diverse interests, just the type that seems to fit in well here!

der_ingenieur

New in Town
Greetings everyone. I am a new member and would like to give a brief introduction. My name is Kai and I'm located in the Chicago area. Originally from Germany, I've lived in the US for quite some time, going back to 1994. After a stint in Connecticut moved to Chicago and have been here ever since.
I've been a reader of this forum on occasion, but just recently signed up as a member. I learned about proper attire from a young age, was introduced to suits and ties, as well as sports clothes and practical gear - everything at the right time for the right occasion. I guess you could say that when I grew up, Germany was a little more oriented on tradition back then compared to today.
While funds always played an important role, I did not always spend a lot on clothes. However, for the right occasion (my own wedding for example) I knew that sometimes you need to spend more in order to get more. I had a suit made to measure for me at Ladage & Oelke in Hamburg/Germany, a variation on the "Stresemann" style as we called in in Germany. I still have the thing, and it still fits (more than 20 years later). I guess it paid off, and I'm still married ;-)
My interests as far as clothing and attire cover a relatively wide range. I have a good selection of Germany "Trachten" attire, from custom made Lederhosen to the proper shirts, vests, shoes and hat. I'm fortunate enough that there are some brands of off-the-rack suits which will fit me perfectly (from Wolfgang Joop in size 94, usually only available in Germany). Casual clothing suits me just as well, from jeans to woolen sweaters, polo shirts etc. So far I still buy a lot of my clothes in Germany, because I have difficulty finding the right size here stateside. I'm tall and slim, and over in Germany we have an entire system of sizes for folks like me. A size 94 (or 98 on occasion), I rarely find clothes in the states that truly fit.
The one thing I am still today a little unsure about are hats. I can say that I am fascinated by hats, I would like to wear hats, but that is an area I don't feel comfortable in because I was not brought up wearing a hat. Only recently did I start again to explore the subject, and there is a nice Mayser fedora hat sitting at home as my Christmas gift to myself. We'll see how much success I will have with that thing. Sizing is a bit of an issue there, as well. I'm a 60 or 60.5, long oval, which means a lot of hats are either too tight front and back, or are too loose and wide on the sides. I have not worn a hat long enough over weeks and months to see if the hat will eventually adapt to my misshapen head. I wonder if I could use the hot steam process, which is use on occasion to widen a slightly undersized shoe or boot.

Anyways, I apologize for the long introduction, but I think I like this forum and hopefully get to participate over time.

Have a great weekend!

Big Man

Greetings everyone. I am a new member and would like to give a brief introduction. My name is Kai and I'm located in the Chicago area. Originally from Germany, I've lived in the US for quite some time, going back to 1994. After a stint in Connecticut moved to Chicago and have been here ever since.
I've been a reader of this forum on occasion, but just recently signed up as a member. I learned about proper attire from a young age, was introduced to suits and ties, as well as sports clothes and practical gear - everything at the right time for the right occasion. I guess you could say that when I grew up, Germany was a little more oriented on tradition back then compared to today.
While funds always played an important role, I did not always spend a lot on clothes. However, for the right occasion (my own wedding for example) I knew that sometimes you need to spend more in order to get more. I had a suit made to measure for me at Ladage & Oelke in Hamburg/Germany, a variation on the "Stresemann" style as we called in in Germany. I still have the thing, and it still fits (more than 20 years later). I guess it paid off, and I'm still married ;-)
My interests as far as clothing and attire cover a relatively wide range. I have a good selection of Germany "Trachten" attire, from custom made Lederhosen to the proper shirts, vests, shoes and hat. I'm fortunate enough that there are some brands of off-the-rack suits which will fit me perfectly (from Wolfgang Joop in size 94, usually only available in Germany). Casual clothing suits me just as well, from jeans to woolen sweaters, polo shirts etc. So far I still buy a lot of my clothes in Germany, because I have difficulty finding the right size here stateside. I'm tall and slim, and over in Germany we have an entire system of sizes for folks like me. A size 94 (or 98 on occasion), I rarely find clothes in the states that truly fit.
The one thing I am still today a little unsure about are hats. I can say that I am fascinated by hats, I would like to wear hats, but that is an area I don't feel comfortable in because I was not brought up wearing a hat. Only recently did I start again to explore the subject, and there is a nice Mayser fedora hat sitting at home as my Christmas gift to myself. We'll see how much success I will have with that thing. Sizing is a bit of an issue there, as well. I'm a 60 or 60.5, long oval, which means a lot of hats are either too tight front and back, or are too loose and wide on the sides. I have not worn a hat long enough over weeks and months to see if the hat will eventually adapt to my misshapen head. I wonder if I could use the hot steam process, which is use on occasion to widen a slightly undersized shoe or boot.

Anyways, I apologize for the long introduction, but I think I like this forum and hopefully get to participate over time.

Have a great weekend!

00snackie00

New in Town
Hello, and first of, thank you to whomever helped me with my account! ^_^
I’m Charlotte, but online I’m pretty much always “snackie”. I used to be pretty active on forums about lo(oo)ng hair, since I was growing my own hair long. But then I came across the lovely LisaFreemontStreet, and binged all her videos, something clicked in my head, and that day I decided to lop off my almost thigh length hair (my goal was knee), so I could start with vintage hair dressing (oh, and go pink!). Now, about 3 years later, I couldn’t be happier with my decision. But it made everything else fall into place. I’ve always had a deep love for all vintage and history related, I just didn’t know to what extend. Now I’m slowly working on getting my wardrobe to where I want it. I do already have a decent collection of vintage hats and jewelry, and the rest will come in time. ^___^
I’m looking forward to getting to know everybody!

- Snackie

Big Man

Hello, and first of, thank you to whomever helped me with my account! ^_^
I’m Charlotte, but online I’m pretty much always “snackie”. I used to be pretty active on forums about lo(oo)ng hair, since I was growing my own hair long. But then I came across the lovely LisaFreemontStreet, and binged all her videos, something clicked in my head, and that day I decided to lop off my almost thigh length hair (my goal was knee), so I could start with vintage hair dressing (oh, and go pink!). Now, about 3 years later, I couldn’t be happier with my decision. But it made everything else fall into place. I’ve always had a deep love for all vintage and history related, I just didn’t know to what extend. Now I’m slowly working on getting my wardrobe to where I want it. I do already have a decent collection of vintage hats and jewelry, and the rest will come in time. ^___^
I’m looking forward to getting to know everybody!

- Snackie

SlyGI

New in Town

Welcome back! I was an old member who was fairly active about 6 to 10 years ago on this site. I'be been lurking a lot but I think I'll start to post more. My old site name was SlyGi, and I changed it a few time over the years. But when I got back on the board, no body had taken the name so I grabbed it again.

And, no, I'm not a Gastroenterologist. LOL. Sly comes from me shaving my head, and GI comes from me being army (ex-army now).

Vintage Missus

New in Town
Hello, everyone!

I'm brand new here, and pretty new to the "vintage lifestyle" I'm going for in general. I'm also pretty shy about joining new communities, so I'll probably mostly tip-toe around here for a while. (I'm far too afraid of sounding silly.) I've been fascinated by the early/mid 20th century as far back as I can remember. I don't really know where the fixation came from, but I've only recently decided to really dive into it. And I do mean dive into it -- I plan on replacing my wardrobe and shaping my entire home decor to fit my favorite decade: the 1940s.

It seems like such a drastic change from my lifestyle up until this point, which has always been pretty casual, but it's something that's been stewing beneath the surface for years now. The few baby steps I've taken in this direction feel so right, and have really given me a new quality of life, so I think I'm just going to enjoy it and not get caught up in how strange it might seem to others.

Aside from all that, I'm currently a homemaker, wife, and cat mom. I plan on learning to sew soon so I don't have to spend so much money on the clothes I'd like to have -- and also make my wife clothes that fit her properly, since she's so short! In my free time, I like to study foreign languages, research fashion history/general history, write a little here and there, and I want to become a better cook. I used to play video games fairly often, but not so much anymore. My two addictions are Diet Coke and online window shopping. :oops:

Gosh, okay, that's quite enough, I think. See you all around! I can't wait to explore the forums more.

Big Man

Hello, everyone!

I'm brand new here, and pretty new to the "vintage lifestyle" I'm going for in general. I'm also pretty shy about joining new communities, so I'll probably mostly tip-toe around here for a while. (I'm far too afraid of sounding silly.) I've been fascinated by the early/mid 20th century as far back as I can remember. I don't really know where the fixation came from, but I've only recently decided to really dive into it. And I do mean dive into it -- I plan on replacing my wardrobe and shaping my entire home decor to fit my favorite decade: the 1940s.

It seems like such a drastic change from my lifestyle up until this point, which has always been pretty casual, but it's something that's been stewing beneath the surface for years now. The few baby steps I've taken in this direction feel so right, and have really given me a new quality of life, so I think I'm just going to enjoy it and not get caught up in how strange it might seem to others.

Aside from all that, I'm currently a homemaker, wife, and cat mom. I plan on learning to sew soon so I don't have to spend so much money on the clothes I'd like to have -- and also make my wife clothes that fit her properly, since she's so short! In my free time, I like to study foreign languages, research fashion history/general history, write a little here and there, and I want to become a better cook. I used to play video games fairly often, but not so much anymore. My two addictions are Diet Coke and online window shopping. :oops:

Gosh, okay, that's quite enough, I think. See you all around! I can't wait to explore the forums more.

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge. I'm sure you will find a lot of helpful information here, as well as a lot of really helpful people.

Bluesman60

New in Town
Hello, everyone. I've posted here a few times and I'd like to introduce myself. My username comes from my favorite guitar amp, a 1960 Fender Bassman. I like things that last, things that are made well, and things that transcend temporary fashion trends. I like anything that is cool. I'm a blues guitar player and I do various other things to pay the bills (which my Master's degree in history doesn't do). I'm cursed with a big 7 3/4 head, which prevents me from joining you in the vintage club, but I spent a lot of time with the World War II generation, which means I understand a man isn't fully dressed unless he wears a good hat. I appreciate all I've learned from this forum and I hope I can contribute something.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Hello, everyone. I've posted here a few times and I'd like to introduce myself. My username comes from my favorite guitar amp, a 1960 Fender Bassman. I like things that last, things that are made well, and things that transcend temporary fashion trends. I like anything that is cool. I'm a blues guitar player and I do various other things to pay the bills (which my Master's degree in history doesn't do). I'm cursed with a big 7 3/4 head, which prevents me from joining you in the vintage club, but I spent a lot of time with the World War II generation, which means I understand a man isn't fully dressed unless he wears a good hat. I appreciate all I've learned from this forum and I hope I can contribute something.

Welcome to the Lounge! I have the "7-3/4 curse" too, but I enjoy hanging out here and looking at all the nice vintage hats. It's a good way to learn what you like and don't like, and to turn these preferences into a nice custom hat or two (or three, or...). As much as I've always appreciated hats, it's the atmosphere of this forum and the fact that it deals with all kinds of vintage topics that keeps me interested in visiting often.

Take care!
Regan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk