Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello! I'm not exactly new, as I'd originally found this site back in the mid 2000's when I was stationed in California with the Marines. I used to be somewhat active and went out to the Cicada and the Queen Mary a couple of times. Had some good times cruising around in a 1937 Buick through LA and Longbeach! Anyway, after I got out and moved back east life got pretty busy there, but I'm older and more fiscally stable now so I'm looking to get back into things.

Welcome (back) to the Fedora Lounge.

Pop C

New in Town
Hello there. Long time reader, first time poster from France.

I learned a great deal from reading discussions here, especially about military/leather jackets. Very happy to be a member and thanks for the shared knowledge!

Big Man

Hello there. Long time reader, first time poster from France.

I learned a great deal from reading discussions here, especially about military/leather jackets. Very happy to be a member and thanks for the shared knowledge!

Welcome to the Fedora Lounge.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Hi all! I'm not exactly new but was a fairly regular visitor about 12 years ago. Can't believe it's been that long.

Life's been a roller coaster since then, and working nights at a computer for a decade didn't do much for my health and weight, so finding cool, stylish things went on a back-burner.

But I left that job, got my health back on track, halved my previous size, have spent a lot of time hiking and riding a mountain bike, and recently got my motorcycle license. I don't know if I'll get a motorcycle or not, but I remembered what brought me here all those years ago... wanting a cool, leather jacket. I haven't eaten beef (nor chicken) in several years now, but I'd still like a groovy leather jacket.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this community when I was here and was bummed when things went sideways with my personal life/health, so hi!

Big Man

Hi all! I'm not exactly new but was a fairly regular visitor about 12 years ago. Can't believe it's been that long.

Life's been a roller coaster since then, and working nights at a computer for a decade didn't do much for my health and weight, so finding cool, stylish things went on a back-burner.

But I left that job, got my health back on track, halved my previous size, have spent a lot of time hiking and riding a mountain bike, and recently got my motorcycle license. I don't know if I'll get a motorcycle or not, but I remembered what brought me here all those years ago... wanting a cool, leather jacket. I haven't eaten beef (nor chicken) in several years now, but I'd still like a groovy leather jacket.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this community when I was here and was bummed when things went sideways with my personal life/health, so hi!
Welcome (back) to the Fedora Lounge.

Leather_nube

New in Town
Dear all,

just wanted to say an initial hi. New to posting here. Been reading for what seems like an eternity and became a member in '21 ish. This is my first real post.

I have a problem with leather jackets. It’s been an issue since I was approximately 11. I am no longer 11, sadly. Though I couldn’t afford a nice jacket then regardless. I am on the seemingly perpetual voyage to find my perfect jacket; I’m fully aware it’s likely a voyage that never ends.

Feeling very drawn toward natural veg tanned leather at the moment. Maybe a premier MWM….not decided yet. Or a western shirt. Or trucker…or…

To add insult to injury, I’m also Irish. I know, rough. Live in Germany.

That is all for now I think. Happy to be here. Great forum.

Cheers,

Liam

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Hello all,

I'm a long-absent returning member (looks like I last posted in 2014!) Since then, like most of you, I've had a LOT of life events, most notably a bout with cancer (all good now), retirement (highly recommended), and a daughter who'll be off to university later this year to finish up her last two years towards her bachelor's degree. As my wife and I are getting a bit older, we're seriously trying to downsize and have started with our closets. Most of my business wardrobe has been sent off to various local charities and few vintage items have been donated to a local theater group (the show must go on!) I'm keeping several of my prized hats, but have a couple of special ones that may be put up for sale, as well as a few odds and ends. Looking forward to getting acquainted with everyone again!

SimplyGF

New in Town
Hi all,
I wanted to introduce myself and voice my appreciation that such a forum exists! I'm a licensed healthcare practitioner, parent, and older Millenial. My hobbies are photography, riding motorcycles, and riding bicycles with the latter having much less of an influence on my personal style (lol). I enjoy dressing in vintage styles but have no problem mixing things up if only to reaffirm my disdain for toxic masculinity or the prevailing notion that we aren't (insert noun here) as good as we ought to be. Anyway, I am eager to learn from this community and get to know people over time!

99Tjadams

New in Town
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself.
Having been trying out selvedge denim for a couple years I have recently slipped into the Viberg/service boot/chelsea rabbit hole.

Now looking forward to expanding this new addiction and learning a lot about leather jackets here.

Hoping to find an Aero type III to add to my schott, waxed canvas and others.

Same username on other platforms, from the great white north.

Le Black Hand

New in Town
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Been a member of Styleforum and Superfuture since the early 2000s and suppose I finally 'graduated' to Fedora Lounge hehe. I am a workwear and westernwear enthusiast, who does chain stitching on a 1930s Singer in my freetime. Nice to meet you all!

Big Man

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Been a member of Styleforum and Superfuture since the early 2000s and suppose I finally 'graduated' to Fedora Lounge hehe. I am a workwear and westernwear enthusiast, who does chain stitching on a 1930s Singer in my freetime. Nice to meet you all!
Welcome!

doobs

New in Town
Greetings and Salutations,

I just stumbled across "The Fedora Lounge", looking for information about a nubuck leather Orvis jacket/blazer I bought off of the 'bay.

It's kinda funny story. LOML were perusing an antique store here in Williamsburg, VA, where we recently retired. In one of the cabinets in the store were two Orvis jackets, one a bomber style and the other more of a blazer.

The bomber jacket was of no use to me, but the blazer piqued my curiosity. It was soft and attractive, but unfortunately, being a size 52, it swallowed me up.

I collect Seiko kinetic watches and was looking around the 'bay to see if anything new had popped up. When I was done, for laugh I did a search for an Orvis leather jacket.

The first result was the exact same jacket in a size 42, which would fit me perfectly. The seller was out of town, so I watched over the auction for a couple of days.

I got a message from the 'bay that a number of the items I was watching where eligible for a 15% discount including the jacket, and I was in. Done. Kismet.

The jacket showed up, and it's a leather that I was unfamiliar with. Definitely not a traditional leather and definitely not suede. I contacted the seller and he said it was nubuck, which I had never heard of before. Yes, I lead a sheltered life....

So, I went off in search of information, and searching on "Orvis Bandera Leather Jacket" led me to the Fedora Lounge.

Looking around, I was intrigued. I'm definitely a fan of vintage things, so I was drawn in. I registered and the rest they say was history.

So, for a bit of background:

I'm a fairly recently retired electro-mechanical engineer. Most of my professional career was spent designing, building and operating underwater robotic systems called ROV's, which is short for Remotely Operated Vehicles. If you have seen the movie Titanic, it's the system shown there.

I was born in New Orleans (Metairie actually), but my family and I migrated to Northern Virginia (Reston) after Hurricane Katrina. Katrina was a defining moment in our lives. We loved New Orleans, but life post Katrina has been good to us as well.

Last year, in anticipation of retirement, LOML and I had a look around to see where we would like to settle down. NOVA was out of the question, for a whole plethora of reasons. We wanted somewhere slower, more polite, more "southern".

We drove around a lot and truth be told nirvana was Chattanooga, TN. Lovely place. Absolutely lovely, but and there is always a but, it's a 10 hour drive from my kids. Just really not workable.

So we continued driving around, and excluded a lot of other places, but kept coming back to Williamsburg. It's quiet, has amazing history to experience, not dissimilar climate to New Orleans, and most of all the people are friendly and welcoming.

After coming to that conclusion, a house search began. The smallness of Williamsburg made that an issue. Not many houses for sale, and when they did come up the ones we were interested in didn't last long. So we decided to have a house built through an interesting sequence of events, a story that perhaps I'll tell later.

We moved in the house in October of 2023, and have slowly been getting familiar with the area. It's definitely a smaller community. Things we were used to having at arms length now take a bit of sleuthing to find.

That's all for now. Just wanted to say hello. I've been working my way around the site.

cheers,

rogueclimber

New in Town
I was always taught to introduce myself when entering a new community, and this thread seems like the place to do that:

I love a good looking hat, but could never figure out how to wear one.

But I believe I have figured it out

Just wear the damn hat!

So that is what I am doing. I have purchased a few hats over the last couple of months, and as I continue to learn from the collective wisdom here in The Fedora Lounge I am sure I will buy a few more.

I consider myself a Bon Vivant, I appreciate the finer things in life, and I am always looking to learn

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112