Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Devo

New in Town
Rick, 31, married for six months.
I don't wear vintage, but I'm a HUGE history buff.
I consider myself to be a gentleman, which is, unfortunately, a vintage thing now-a-days.:cry:
I like the charm and attitude of the past.
I am a huge music fan, though. It doesn't matter the genre. I'm interested in any style at all.
I know the Fedora Lounge is probably big into jazz, blues, swing and rockabilly. But I have other tastes as well.

Rica Chez

New in Town
Hello Everyone!

I had already introduced myself in the Powder Room, and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself to the rest of the members on here.

I'm a mom of 3 boys, 28 years old, and reside in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I've always admired the different fashions of different eras but have been becoming more interested as of late. I remember I was obsessed with Archie Comic Books and wanted to dress like Betty and Veronica and didn't understand why I couldn't find the styles they wore! lol As a little girl, I had always wanted to dress in vintage and now that I'm older, I can now indulge myself! Thanks to my Darling Sweet heart, Mr. Sable, he has inspired me and has introduced me to this wonderful site. I've only been on here for a couple of days but I can already see that this is a wonderful resource for information about the fashion, history, ettiquette etc.

I love all eras but I'm especially digging the 20s to the 50s...

Looking forward to meeting you all and making new friends!

Cheers,

Jen

Rica Chez

New in Town
BegintheBeguine said:
Welcome, pretty gals!
(Jen, I thought I recognized Mr. Sable before I even read your post.)

Hee hee... Yes, I truly love that guy... He's just awesome! Plus he looks great in a lid and suit! lol

I think I saw you on Myspace. My name on there is Female Assassin. I'm on Mr. Sable's friend's list...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Katie Brookes said:
hello - i am kind of new... i've been obsessed with the 20's, mostly through silent films and fashion illustrations. i adore Gloria Swanson, Pola Negri, Rudolph Valentino... i've been trying to watch all the old movies i can -

Katie

Hello Katie Brooks!!! I'm also obsessed with the 1920s, in films fashions, lifestyle and everything...:D Many people love the twenties here in the Lounge! Welcome!!!

kimb

New in Town
I just posted my first reply in a thread, so I figured I'd do an intro.

My name is Kimb (with a "silent" B that everyone likes to pronounce), and I've been interested in costuming and fashion from by-gone eras and other cultures since childhood. I also love stockings and girdles and red lipstick, and I love fashions from the '40s through the early '60s. I think I found this forum because I was looking for tips on hair styles... my hair was way too long until about two weeks ago when I cut off 10" and donated it to Locks of Love, and now it's a bit shorter than chin length. So I hope to grow it out a little before I experiment...

I'm 20 and I just finished up my sophomore year as a music major, which basically means that I'm going to have a lot less hours in class, and that translates into more time for sewing! My avatar is a blue dress I sewed from Butterick's retro line.

Anyhow, I hope to spend more time here in the coming months for inspiration!

Devo

New in Town
Spitfire said:
Welcome Rick. Just Vince Lombardi fan - or does that cover Green Bay too?
GB rocks!:D
I am a fan of the Packers, even though they are not my No. 1 team in the NFL. I grew up watching and listening to the San Diego Chargers and will always follow them with a passion.

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
already posted on the Powder Room one but i am new...

favorite era is the 20s no question, Gloria Swanson is my favorite actress, i love any movie by Ernst Lubitsch and all things Busby Berkeley... i also adore all things Art Deco, particularly deco architectural details like those of Edgar Brandt, and deco-stylized sculpture like Elie Nadelman or early Noguchi, and any and all old cast glass work... i am an artist/sculptor/recent RISD grad and have been trying for a long time to learn work in a deco style, i might put some images of my work up here some time when i stop being lazy and redo my portfolio... which i will have to do soon, so i bet this will be an excellent place to get some feedback on if i am being true to the vintage aesthetic. anyways that is it, so, hello!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Katie Brookes said:
already posted on the Powder Room one but i am new...

favorite era is the 20s no question, Gloria Swanson is my favorite actress, i love any movie by Ernst Lubitsch and all things Busby Berkeley... i also adore all things Art Deco, particularly deco architectural details like those of Edgar Brandt, and deco-stylized sculpture like Elie Nadelman or early Noguchi, and any and all old cast glass work... i am an artist/sculptor/recent RISD grad and have been trying for a long time to learn work in a deco style, i might put some images of my work up here some time when i stop being lazy and redo my portfolio... which i will have to do soon, so i bet this will be an excellent place to get some feedback on if i am being true to the vintage aesthetic. anyways that is it, so, hello!

Welcome Katie Brooks. It's very nice to see a RISD grad here. Although I didn't go there, I grew up in RI, and the RISD museum has been one of my favorite places to visit since I was a kid. I'd love to see your images, being that you went to RISD, you must be very talented:)
Well, welcome to The Lounge. I hope you enjoy yourself and look forward to seeing more of you:)

Edward

Bartender
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste.... the wealth all sadly non-monetary and the taste highly subjective, of course! Edward Marlowe.

I chanced across this place on a google search for high waisted trousers a few monthsw ago when I was putting together my Joker outfit for an April Fools themed burlesque night (see Men of the Lounge thread for photo). Came across it again just recently while looking for some information on suits and the like, and managed to sign up.

I'm a single guy in my early 30s (I don't care to mark my own birthday, it always feels like my own person New Year's Eve, which ain't a good thing, but I'll turn 33 in not too many months), no dependents, live alone in the East End of London. Native of and grew up in Northern Ireland; moved over here in early 99 for work - I'm a university lecturer. I've been very much into clothes for a long, long time - I've been incredibly fussy about what I will and won't wear since about the age of 12, I think... I've done a lot of different looks. In the late 80s, I was a metal head, then I went punk, did the grunge thing.... I'm still vdery much punk rock in a lot of my sensibilities, though through that I discovered psychobilly, rockabilly, and back into the old 50s vibe. I'm no stranger to anal retentiveness when it comes to getting costume pieces spot on accurate - I've been a hardcore Rocky Horror fan for pushing a decade now, and spent a fortune on various bits and bobs of costume (there are some.... interesting shots on the web of me in full Dr Frank'n'Furter garb, but I suspect not really appropriate for this forum! If you're a regular Franky fan too, though, try www.lessvulnerable.co.uk). Also very much a costume person in general, and I love to go as far as I can in putting together a costume I'm happy with - not for me the cheap nylon costume in a bag from the fancy dress shop!

Last Halloween:

PICT2885.jpg

I've always taken pride in being able to dress well, whatever my look - the goth clothes, the bondage trousers and various bits and bobs of more contemporary alternative looks crop up in my wardrobe very regularly... I'll even wear hoodies on occasion!... and I'm certainly not averse to the odd spot of make-up here and there to complete a look (the Rocky Horror influence, I guess). I don't like to be limited to only one look or genre. I guess I have the soul of a peacock. I don't remember the last time I left the house in something I'd just thrown on as opposed to a planned look. I don't travel light either - in Blackpool last weekend with friends, my case was twice the size of what most of them were carrying, though that can in large part be put down to yet another bid to impress my unrequited (and it seems wholly uninterested!) love interest - ah well! :rolleyes:

Over the past year or so, I've become more interested in bigging up the retro side of my wardrobe. I'm now tending to move away from the Joey-Ramone inspired drainpipes towards a more 50s feel in my casual wear, more towards the rockabilly end of psychobilly - think the boys in The Wild One, and especially Johnny Depp's casual look in CryBaby, another big favourite. I'm interested too in mixing in a bit of 30s / 40s casual stuff with the 50s look - Indiana Jones (another big favourite), or a 50s kid wearing the old flying jacket pilfered from Dad's wardrobe to impress the girls... I find these retro styles sit better on me than a lot of contemporary stuff as I career rapidly into middle age (not that I have followed manstream fashion since I was 14 - quite the opposite, actually). For a more formal look, I've always loved the sharp stylnig of the 30s noir period - I'm no expert on noir movies or anything (actually, it occurs to me, I've never even seen Casablanca from start to finish - I guess I should!). I recentl decided that I want to give the 30s look a go for a new suit - I'm putting the money together to have one made still, but in discovering this place I discovered that I could have a vintage style made to measure for the same price as something contemporary, so it was a no brainer. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to pull off wearing only 30s thru 50s style and inspired suits in general - it's a\ fine line to walk, I want to look stylish professionally and to do my own thing, but I'm a tiny bit wary of being looked at by the ignorant as simply being "in costume" all the time. Guess I'll experiment someay when it's not too big an issue and see how it goes down! Away from the office, I'm curious as to how my penchant for nail varnish will look with the 30s suit - arguably period correct - just - I believe black nails weren't uncommon among, uhm, opium users?? Well, that guy in the Shadow wore it.... and ....er.... I remember reading Goering did it... ok, maybe not the best role models to have (!), but er.... I'm also a big lover of horizontally striped T shirts / long sleeve t shirts and ringer shirts.... not authentically 50s, more 70s what I go for, but look great with an otherwise 50s inspired look.

Anyhow, since having a pair of trousers run up from a zoot pattern to go with the Joker outfit, I've gotten a bit of an urge to have a zoot suit, though it's not a highest priority as there's other things I'd get more wear out of. Period style shoes are a thing I want more of - bought my first pair of two tone brogues a few years ago and I adore those. I want some Indiana Jones style boots too, though they all seem to be very expensive.... the price of some repro stuff does scare me a bit as I was always brought up to be careful with money.... within reason I'll pay for quality, but there does come a ponit where I can't justify spending X on Y... A quality A2 has become a very high priority since discovering these boards, but the price of them in the UK scares me! :eek:

I think that's about all that's relevant here, and I've gone on quite enough... I'm essentially pretty dull, shy and insecure as a person, really - my peacockery is a defence mechanism, I think, as much as anything. But hey, I know how to dress! lol

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Hello Ladies!

I just joined after finding a wealth of information on here by accident!
The name's Red, I'm a mom to a lovely "mini me" 4 yo daughter, married to wonderful husband and we live in Carlsbad. I love all things vintage, all things red and all things miniature...I can't help myself. ;)
I can't think of anything else to report, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask! ;)

Thanks!

Rica Chez

New in Town
Edward said:
Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste.... the wealth all sadly non-monetary and the taste highly subjective, of course! Edward Marlowe.

I chanced across this place on a google search for high waisted trousers a few monthsw ago when I was putting together my Joker outfit for an April Fools themed burlesque night (see Men of the Lounge thread for photo). Came across it again just recently while looking for some information on suits and the like, and managed to sign up.

I'm a single guy in my early 30s (I don't care to mark my own birthday, it always feels like my own person New Year's Eve, which ain't a good thing, but I'll turn 33 in not too many months), no dependents, live alone in the East End of London. Native of and grew up in Northern Ireland; moved over here in early 99 for work - I'm a university lecturer. I've been very much into clothes for a long, long time - I've been incredibly fussy about what I will and won't wear since about the age of 12, I think... I've done a lot of different looks. In the late 80s, I was a metal head, then I went punk, did the grunge thing.... I'm still vdery much punk rock in a lot of my sensibilities, though through that I discovered psychobilly, rockabilly, and back into the old 50s vibe. I'm no stranger to anal retentiveness when it comes to getting costume pieces spot on accurate - I've been a hardcore Rocky Horror fan for pushing a decade now, and spent a fortune on various bits and bobs of costume (there are some.... interesting shots on the web of me in full Dr Frank'n'Furter garb, but I suspect not really appropriate for this forum! If you're a regular Franky fan too, though, try www.lessvulnerable.co.uk). Also very much a costume person in general, and I love to go as far as I can in putting together a costume I'm happy with - not for me the cheap nylon costume in a bag from the fancy dress shop!

Last Halloween:

PICT2885.jpg

I've always taken pride in being able to dress well, whatever my look - the goth clothes, the bondage trousers and various bits and bobs of more contemporary alternative looks crop up in my wardrobe very regularly... I'll even wear hoodies on occasion!... and I'm certainly not averse to the odd spot of make-up here and there to complete a look (the Rocky Horror influence, I guess). I don't like to be limited to only one look or genre. I guess I have the soul of a peacock. I don't remember the last time I left the house in something I'd just thrown on as opposed to a planned look. I don't travel light either - in Blackpool last weekend with friends, my case was twice the size of what most of them were carrying, though that can in large part be put down to yet another bid to impress my unrequited (and it seems wholly uninterested!) love interest - ah well! :rolleyes:

Over the past year or so, I've become more interested in bigging up the retro side of my wardrobe. I'm now tending to move away from the Joey-Ramone inspired drainpipes towards a more 50s feel in my casual wear, more towards the rockabilly end of psychobilly - think the boys in The Wild One, and especially Johnny Depp's casual look in CryBaby, another big favourite. I'm interested too in mixing in a bit of 30s / 40s casual stuff with the 50s look - Indiana Jones (another big favourite), or a 50s kid wearing the old flying jacket pilfered from Dad's wardrobe to impress the girls... I find these retro styles sit better on me than a lot of contemporary stuff as I career rapidly into middle age (not that I have followed manstream fashion since I was 14 - quite the opposite, actually). For a more formal look, I've always loved the sharp stylnig of the 30s noir period - I'm no expert on noir movies or anything (actually, it occurs to me, I've never even seen Casablanca from start to finish - I guess I should!). I recentl decided that I want to give the 30s look a go for a new suit - I'm putting the money together to have one made still, but in discovering this place I discovered that I could have a vintage style made to measure for the same price as something contemporary, so it was a no brainer. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to pull off wearing only 30s thru 50s style and inspired suits in general - it's a\ fine line to walk, I want to look stylish professionally and to do my own thing, but I'm a tiny bit wary of being looked at by the ignorant as simply being "in costume" all the time. Guess I'll experiment someay when it's not too big an issue and see how it goes down! Away from the office, I'm curious as to how my penchant for nail varnish will look with the 30s suit - arguably period correct - just - I believe black nails weren't uncommon among, uhm, opium users?? Well, that guy in the Shadow wore it.... and ....er.... I remember reading Goering did it... ok, maybe not the best role models to have (!), but er.... I'm also a big lover of horizontally striped T shirts / long sleeve t shirts and ringer shirts.... not authentically 50s, more 70s what I go for, but look great with an otherwise 50s inspired look.

Anyhow, since having a pair of trousers run up from a zoot pattern to go with the Joker outfit, I've gotten a bit of an urge to have a zoot suit, though it's not a highest priority as there's other things I'd get more wear out of. Period style shoes are a thing I want more of - bought my first pair of two tone brogues a few years ago and I adore those. I want some Indiana Jones style boots too, though they all seem to be very expensive.... the price of some repro stuff does scare me a bit as I was always brought up to be careful with money.... within reason I'll pay for quality, but there does come a ponit where I can't justify spending X on Y... A quality A2 has become a very high priority since discovering these boards, but the price of them in the UK scares me! :eek:

I think that's about all that's relevant here, and I've gone on quite enough... I'm essentially pretty dull, shy and insecure as a person, really - my peacockery is a defence mechanism, I think, as much as anything. But hey, I know how to dress! lol

Too Awesome... You sound like such a free spirit!

Yay! Another Newbie!!!

Edward

Bartender
Rica Chez said:
Too Awesome... You sound like such a free spirit!

Yay! Another Newbie!!!

Thanks :) Well, I try to stick true to my own thing (which it seems to me is what the Lounge is all about!), though admittedly escaping to London where it's all a lot more cosmopolitan and "Anything Goes" has made me a lot bolder!!

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Thanks :) Well, I try to stick true to my own thing (which it seems to me is what the Lounge is all about!), though admittedly escaping to London where it's all a lot more cosmopolitan and "Anything Goes" has made me a lot bolder!!
Nothing wrong with a mixture of things to keep your spirit alive. I happen to be a huge "Rocky" fan myself. I also had my share of Patent leather pants with zippers, and goth wear, its all in the mood. And keeping the individuality alive.

senoritavintage

New in Town
Finally popping in to say Hi!

I've enjoyed reading posts here, and seeing all the gorgeous gals for a while now. I'm finally getting a chance to say hello. Like the rest of you I'm just crazy about everything vintage . I could count the modern objects in my house without using my toes ! Anyway - nice to see so many other happy vintage gals - especially some of you talented sewers- WOW!

Rica Chez

New in Town
Edward said:

Where did you escape from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner