Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
Thought I'd pop in and say hi. I'm new here. I actually stumbled on this forum while looking to see if you can buy a nice vintage blush brush. (Yeah, I freaked when my favorite brush broke after YEARS of use. The bf suggested trying to find a vintage one to replace it.) But anyways, love the site! Was love at first site. I'm not really into actually wearing vintage clothing, but I do buy clothes that have a classic look to them. (Grew up in a VERY conservative household and as an adult that mentality has stuck a bit.) What really struck me most here were the ladies. They all seem so prim and proper; literally ladies, and I liked that. Like they were trying to reclaim the feminity that us modern women sometimes lack. Hope to learn lots from all of ya'll!

Anyone else here from Florida, south Georgia or south Alabama? Just curious.

Mr. Hicks:
What part of Florida are you from?

pattygoody

New in Town
OnlyOneAudrey said:
Okay, so I came across the Lounge the middle of last week; it was love at first site! I've been reading through the all the posts like a mad woman. I wanted to register, but I only just got Comcast hooked-up last night. Getting signed up here was literally the first thing I did once it was up and running. I am just so excited.

I'm new to all this, but def excited. I'm not so much into actually collecting and dressing vintage 24/7, but I do like the classic styles and try to have that sort of appearance in my day to day life. (I couldn't stick with just vintage, bc there are just so many cute clothes out there!) Basically, I just look for clothes that are classy looking.

I really want to learn how to sew, and I noticed a few of you do and I will prolly be picking your brains. :) (The boyfriend has promised to get me a sewing machine just as soon as we can fit it into the budget.) There is just so much to learn from you guys! I don't know where to begin. I'm pretty much open to any advice you can give.

What really struck me most about you ladies, is not necessarily you being into vintage clothing, but you trying to be more feminine. I've always been a girly girl and I'm at a point in my life where it is indeed a good time to turn that up a notch and be a lady. So yeah, that's why I'm here...to learn! Can't wait to get to know all of you.

BTW, anyone here from Florida (or south Georgia or south Alabama)?

I love your enthusiasm! I am in the Atlanta area, so not south! Darn! I'd love to meet someone close to me to go vintage shopping with! LOL Welcome! I'm new here, too! :)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OnlyOneAudrey said:
What really struck me most here were the ladies. They all seem so prim and proper; literally ladies, and I liked that. Like they were trying to reclaim the feminity that us modern women sometimes lack.

Some say feminism killed femininity.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
OnlyOneAudrey said:
What really struck me most here were the ladies. They all seem so prim and proper; literally ladies, and I liked that. Like they were trying to reclaim the feminity that us modern women sometimes lack.

I felt exactly the same way, OnlyOneAudrey! I'm new too and a huge part of the draw to this group is how respectful everyone is to one another. This group of folks has so much class! I just love it here, I really do.

Doran said:
Some say feminism killed femininity.
This is :eek:fftopic: But! I think that feminism fought so strongly the stigma of women of previous eras. They viewed their mothers and grandmothers has having had no options and they really, their options were very limited. Somehow, being feminine and classy (such strong representative traits of the women of previous eras - heels, dresses, corsets, etiquette, etc) turned into symbols of oppression and, therefore, became the enemy of feminists.

I think the beauty of women today is we have the ability to choose the lifestyle and qualities of life we desire. We have the ability to benefit from the freedoms feminism and women's liberation won us, but we can harken back to a time when it was OK for women to be women and find a harmonic balance with our daily responsibilities and lifestyle.

Whew! That was a mouthful!

Dr Doran

shebagrl said:
This is :eek:fftopic: But! I think that feminism fought so strongly the stigma of women of previous eras. They viewed their mothers and grandmothers has having had no options and they really, their options were very limited. Somehow, being feminine and classy (such strong representative traits of the women of previous eras - heels, dresses, corsets, etiquette, etc) turned into symbols of oppression and, therefore, became the enemy of feminists.

I think the beauty of women today is we have the ability to choose the lifestyle and qualities of life we desire. We have the ability to benefit from the freedoms feminism and women's liberation won us, but we can harken back to a time when it was OK for women to be women and find a harmonic balance with our daily responsibilities and lifestyle.

Well-said!

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
shebagrl said:
I felt exactly the same way, OnlyOneAudrey! I'm new too and a huge part of the draw to this group is how respectful everyone is to one another. This group of folks has so much class! I just love it here, I really do.

Couldn't agree more.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
A grand introduction

Good morning everyone

I'm Meggie. I am 24 and I live in the Phoenix valley, where the only things vintage here are the old people! I am a Milwaukee native and have only been here in the valley for about 3 years. My husband is in the National Guard. He is currently serving in Afghanistan. I am so thrilled to have found this site and I hope it will be the creative outlet I have been looking for.

I have always had a vintage soul but because I wasn't born with good hairstyling genes, I don't really look it! Help! I am excited to have a more "me" look but I don't know what style would be most flattering. My husband calls me his little librarian.. but I want the inner pin-up to shine! Any suggestions for make-up and hair?

katylouise

New in Town
Howdy everyone! My name is Katy & I live in Houston, TX. I've been a vintage clothing/culture freak since I was a wee tot. My mother is an antique/vintage junkie and was dragging me to thrift stores when I was still in diapers & I've been incorporating vintage items in my wardrobe for as long as i can remember.

I'm pretty all-inclusive when it comes to era's but I am especially partial to WWII era anything :)

I've been lurking for a few days & am really looking forward to chatting with everyone!

kerouacgrl

New in Town
Hi,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to all the wonderful ladies on this board. My name is Shawn and I live in the Illinois. I don't dress in actual vintage pieces, mostly vintage-inspired. I have, since I was a little kid, been in love with the glamour of the 40s and 50s and the red lipstick, much to my no-make-up-wearing mother's dismay. And as you can tell from my user name, I am a huge Jack Kerouac fan. I looking forward to all that I have to learn from you lovely ladies!

shebagrl

Familiar Face
OnlyOneAudrey said:
Oh....I LOVE the name Evelyn! You and I are so lucky to have such lovely names!

You sure got that right, sister! Thanks so much! I was named after my Great Aunt Evalyn. Very cool lady, always wore purple and gave me stickers (major qualifiers when you're a little girl hehe) Does your name have a story?? :)

shebagrl

Familiar Face
kerouacgrl said:
Hi,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to all the wonderful ladies on this board. My name is Shawn and I live in the Illinois. I don't dress in actual vintage pieces, mostly vintage-inspired. I have, since I was a little kid, been in love with the glamour of the 40s and 50s and the red lipstick, much to my no-make-up-wearing mother's dismay. And as you can tell from my user name, I am a huge Jack Kerouac fan. I looking forward to all that I have to learn from you lovely ladies!

Welcome Kerouacgrl! Glad to meet you :)

OnlyOneAudrey

New in Town
You bet it does!

Audrey is a family name on my mother's side. Here's the list:

Audrey was the name of my Great-Grandfather (Who I'm really named after, bc Mom really admired him.)
Audrey was the name of my Mom's mother, (my Great-Grandfather's daughter).
Audrey was the name of my aunt, my mother's sister.

Not only do I love the name itself, but I love that got the honor of carrying the name into the next generation. I hope to one day name my own daughter Audrey.

shebagrl

Familiar Face
OnlyOneAudrey said:
Audrey is a family name on my mother's side. Here's the list:

Audrey was the name of my Great-Grandfather (Who I'm really named after, bc Mom really admired him.)
Audrey was the name of my Mom's mother, (my Great-Grandfather's daughter).
Audrey was the name of my aunt, my mother's sister.

Not only do I love the name itself, but I love that got the honor of carrying the name into the next generation. I hope to one day name my own daughter Audrey.

It's just gorgeous...I cannot tell a lie, it's on my ever-growing list of baby names, too :) So neat that you got to carry it on like that!

Dr Doran

shebagrl said:
It's just gorgeous...I cannot tell a lie, it's on my ever-growing list of baby names, too :) So neat that you got to carry it on like that!

Cheers for interesting baby names. In high school in the 1980s, every single person I knew was named either Jason or Jennifer. Every one. Except a few. It was an epidemic of banality.

I still cringe at overused names. Like Mike. Every girlfriend I have ever had had an ex-boyfriend named Mike. It got very surreal. They would say the name with such interest and passion and with such "meaning," and all I could think of when they were talking about these people was "what a boring name."

Although I dislike the name Topher as short for Christopher, it is an alternative to the ubiquitous Chris; perhaps Chael could be an alternative to Mike if one is obliged to name one's offspring Michael.

Our daughter: Dominika. Our son if we have one: Hektor. Please no more Chrises, Mikes, Jasons, Jennifers, and Davids, Johns. There are enough already. Bring back Horatio, Bartholemew, Klio, Justine, Etienne, Segolene, Julius, Hepzibah, Sadie, Homer, Harry, Zenobia, Wilhelm, Anastasia, Gerhard, Fletcher, Valentine, Erasmus, Hieronymous, Virgil, Balthazar, Boniface, Drusilla, Marlon, Hilda, Helga, Agnes, Zane, Furio, Camille, Augustus, Imelda, Thecla, Thea, Severian, Dorcas, Jolenta, Baldanders, Valeria. I am pleased to see that Guenevere and Genevieve are replacing Jennifer nowadays. There are so many good names -- why settle for a name that 6 other children in his preschool will have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy