Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

JitterBugJenny

New in Town
New around town!

~ An introduction ~

Hello fellow lovers of all things past and pure. I have been a resident lurker for some time now and decided to finally create an account. My name is Jennifer, I am a 26yr old currently living in my own little dream world circa 1940’s.

I love to add touches of the past to my everyday living. I start by practicing tried and true home remedies such as using Vaseline for everything! Not to mention routine use of dusting powder , cashmere bouquet soap, and atomizer perfume bottles. No Vintage Vixen is complete without pin curls and back seam thigh highs. Oh and the essentials: The Andrews Sisters, Peggy Lee, Artie Shaw, Dino, Bing, and so many more fabulous artists who did not need to use profanity to be “hip” or funny. (Not to mention, their music soothes this savage beasts road rage!)

I enjoy nothing more then talking to my grandmother or any elderly person I come in contact with about what it was like to live through the forties. Nothing like hearing it from those who lived it! They tell wonderful stories, and the best part, they really enjoy reliving the memories themselves! If I can bring a smile to someone’s face simply by showing an interest in a most exciting era, then I have many, many more smiles to uncover!

I have made several purchases I look forward to sharing with all of you, along with many vintage family photos. It is so very nice to find a group of folks as interested as I am in our past!

Thank You to the moderators for accepting my request to join this incredible community!

~ Jennifer ~

Madalene Laurae

New in Town
Hi!

Hello, I am new here. Stumbled here looking for instructions to do rolls. I thought I'd register since this seemed like a cool place, unlike a lot of message boards filled with angry people trying to prove each other wrong.
I love "classic," things, art nouveau, 50's pinup, Anais Nin and Henry Miller. The women back then looked so classy without belly shirts and self tanner. I try to emulate that by dressing nice most of the time, even if everyone always asks me why I am so dressed up?

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
Welcome Carrie Rouge, JitterbugJenny, and Madalene Laurae. This truly is a wonderful community full of very knowledgeable people, so if you want to know something, search first, and then ask away! I'm sure you will get an answer.

CourtneyB.

New in Town
Hey Ladies,

I'm a newbie just joined today. Found this place through google trying to look up Pinup art. I love the 30's all the way through the 50's era. I always admired it from afar, but kind of taking a step forward and fully trying to learn and enjoy it. I'ma big music fan, and I love the Jazz/Blues and Swing muisc of the eras. My guy got me into classic cars, they are beautiful pieces of machinery if you ask me. Once I get my T-bird looking to start a ladies car club, if any of you gals are in L.A. with a love for classic cars let me know. Otherwise I'm looking forward to talking with and getting to know you all.

Rock´n´Rose

New in Town
Hi girls.

I¬¥m new here. Just said that in the B?©same-threat, because I didn¬¥t see this one here.

I´m from Germany and I love the late 30ies and the 40ies so much and also Swing-music.

Please ask if you want to know something.;)

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Rock´n´Rose said:
Hi girls.

I¬¥m new here. Just said that in the B?©same-threat, because I didn¬¥t see this one here.

I´m from Germany and I love the late 30ies and the 40ies so much and also Swing-music.

Please ask if you want to know something.;)

Hi Rock'n'Rose, welcome to the Lounge, I'm from Germany too.

Welcome to all the new ladies and regards from Berlin

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to say hi. I have been reading here for a few weeks and absolutely love the board, so decided to finally register.

My real name is Keri and I am an artist (painter/fine art photographer). I live in a very remote area due to my husbands job so I do most of my shopping on eBay. I am an eBay addict and a film noir addict. I am 34 and the 40's is my favorite era. I also love the 20's quite a lot. I love glamour in general and to me the 40's represent that more than any other time.

I found this forum when searching for tips on 1940's hairstyles and boy did I find what I was looking for. I probably do not look as vintage as many of you do, I do vintage hair (classic Rita Hayworth look is my current style) and I never leave the house without being in a dress, a proper pair or stockings and a scarf and often gloves as well. But I really just love glamour in general and will by no means pass up a classic looking modern dress, shoe, hairpin, etc. if it is made from a beautiful material and looks elegant.

I collect Art Deco hair accessories and vintage hankerchiefs, I am by no means an expert on either, I just go for pieces that appeal to me me personally. I guess that is about it. :)

Quintessential

New in Town
Hello..

I happened across this site after doing some Google searches on Steve McQueen, after reading his autobiography. I've found it very informative and enjoyable reading.

I've always been into traditional and classic where quality really counts.

Keep up the great site.

Keith

satindoll

New in Town
Hello Ladies
Just joined a couple of days ago and introduced myself over in the Observation Bar. Thought I should do the same here.

My name in Theresa and I live in south Florida. About a year ago I met your esteemed member, Daisy Buchanan, in where else, but a vintage clothing store in Massachusetts! Though she probably doesn't remember me after all this time, I do remember her friendliness and how she encouraged me to join the lounge. I have had every intention of doing so ever since! Anyway, better late than never as they say. Though I must admit to lurking and reading many of your fun and informative posts!

My husband and I are avid swing dancers and we pretty much listen to music from the 30s, 40s and 50s most of the time. Our home is decorated in mid-century style and we've even got a fab tiki lounge thing going on out by our pool area.

I've been wearing vintage or vintage style clothing for many years and have found so much great information here regarding vintage fashion recommendations, beauty and hair tips.

Well, I'm glad I finally decided to take the plunge and join. It's great to know there are so many others out there who prefer to dress like a lady, especially a vintage lady, and who love to incorporate the past into their modern day life.

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Hello :)

I introduced myself in a bit more detail earlier in the powder room but as I am just now making it over to this forum, I thought that I would pop in this thread and say hi here too. I found the site on a search for info on 1940's hairstyle tips and have been reading in the powder room and the beauty forum over the last few weeks. So much great info here, I just love it. :)

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Yay! I can finally post!

Hi everyone! I've lurked here for a few weeks, registered a few days ago, and have eagerly awaited my account to be activated.

A little about me: I'm 34, married, live in a semi-small town in central Nebraska, work as a secretary at a university, am a slave to 4 cats and 1 dog, and have a very eccentric, and eclectic, range of interests. One of which obviously is anything to do with the 1930's & 40's.

I can date my interest in this era to a year in high school, 1989, where I "discovered" old movies on American Movie Classics (when they actually still played old movies). I saw Kitty Foyle with Ginger Rogers, and that was it for me. I was hooked. After that I watched all the old movies I could (especially anything with Ginger in them), and scoured the antique stores for anything that looked like it came from that era. But, alas, time moved on and while my love and interest in the period didn't wain, it was nonetheless placed on the backburner as other interests consumed me.

Fast forward to now (or rather, a few weeks ago) where I was trying to find resources online on how to create authentic hairstyles of the Victorian period. In doing so I accidentally stumbled onto The Fedora Lounge - it was a wonderful accident (fate?) to have happen. In reading some of the threads, my old love for the era came rushing back, and it was a wonderful feeling to find people that are as in love with the past as I am. I look forward to being a part of this community. :)

On a funny note, my ID name, Gingerella, did not come from my love of Ginger Rogers. No, our dog's name is Ginger, and Gingerella is one of her many nicknames. But hey, it works. :D

peachy keen

New in Town
Hi, my name is Danielle, this is my first day on fedora lounge. My boyfriend introduced it to me, his name is Sergio ("OnlyOneinTown"). I don't remember how he came across it, but I know he checks it every day. He mentioned to me that there were also ladies who are registered on here and that if I joined I could get some questions I have answered. I'm pretty new to dressing retro and I want to make it look as authentic as possible. Doing my hair seems to be my biggest concern cuz I feel it's what really ties the look together. So when I get to posting some questions on that particular topic I look forward to the advice the more experienced have for me! : )

HollyGolightly

New in Town
I've been hanging around the powder room and the beauty section mostly.

So I'll introduced myself to everyone now ^_^

I'm Emily. I live in Northern California up by Yosemite. I'm 16 soon to be 17 on Nov. 16th.I'm a Sr. in high but also taking classes at the local college (oceanography, Photography and art history)

I am in a madly passionate love affair with anything from 1920-1980. In 3rd grade my parents decided they didn’t want me to be raised by a TV so they unhooked our cable. Instead they popped in the VCR some old movies; Alfred Hitchcock, Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn. Etc. and I’ve been obsessed ever since with the style, look, mannerisms. I think it’s really sad that no one acts like that anymore, or when someone does, everyone is taken back by it. sad sad sad...

Anyway!

I found this site while doing a Google search on Vintage Dresses. I started reading around and was excited by what I saw. An entire colony of people who love and appreciated vintage things. ^_^ yay!

I don't dress vintage everyday, :( I don't have time for hair, make up, etc. since my class schedule is pretty much insane. But if there is a wedding, formal party or whatever I get all dolled up ^_^ it’s a lot of fun.

Nice to meet everyone! & see you around! =^_^=

Miss Emily, just a well-meaning suggestion from an old hand around Web forums: usually, it's not such a hot idea to hotlink (have your email as a link) or cleartext (many who have to post their emails type something like "(at)" instead of the "@" sign and "dot" instead of ".") your email in a public post--who knows how many bots there are trawling the Web to harvest email addys? Never mind, as if spammers weren't bad enough, the scammers...

That said, welcome aboard, young lady!

BTW, once you get to a certain number of posts, you can add your instant-messaging links to your public profile, and opt whether or not to allow other members to see your email or send same from the Lounge.

(When you click "User CP" at top-left, you'll see a control panel, I think it's under the link for "edit profile" you'll see some boxes for "instant messenger" accounts. Email access for other members is done by ticking the box labeled "Allow vCard Download".)

Hope this helps.

VintageKitten

New in Town

Hey ladies!
I met a guy with an incredible 1941 Buick at a Swing night recently in Dublin who recommended I check this site out!
One quick question - why won't my avatar load?!??!? It is under the size and pixel limit and loads ok until I click save changes - then I get the error message saying file would not upload :(
A little help....

VintageKitten

New in Town
lol :eek:

Ahem, yes, disregard above post!!!!!

Back to me then!
I'm 27, living in Dublin Ireland, a lindy/blues dancer - well I was until I busted my knee in February, and the 1940's are my main era of interest.

Can't wait to look around and get tips and ideas!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to all the new Powder Room ladies.

There is a -weath- of information already here on all sorts of topics, including hair and makeup (both of which are over in Beauty) and clothes and everything else.

Please browse the topics or search to see if your question has been answered before posting, as it might already be well covered in the threads that exist.

and just remember...hair creme and powder on the floor makes it a bit slippery...watch your step!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic