Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Hello. I've been posting a bit (lurking a lot), so I may as well introduce myself. I found this forum through a friend who was looking for fedora information. I have had a fedora for the last three or four years, and just recently lost it. While I'm sad to see my old hat go, I'm having fun researching it's replacement. I look forward to asking everybody here for style advice, as I could certianly use some.

Cheers,
-Will

Miss Cicero

New in Town
Pleased to meet you all, ladies. I’ve been lurking for far too long now – I hope finally to give something back! This forum is such a treasure trove and I’m very impressed by how well-maintained and civilised it all is – a great credit to all involved :)

I’m a 27-year-old Londoner with a passion for all things Art Deco, largely inherited from my folks - many a Sunday was spent trawling antique fairs and junk shops for 1930s finds when I was a kid. They even used to watch ‘Poirot’ just for the furniture! I remember my mother spending weeks restoring a broken-down birds-eye maple bedroom suite to its original glory (still being used today); as you can imagine, that kind of enthusiasm is infectious. I grew up on the musicals of that era too and rather hoped I would grow up to be Ginger or Joan Blondell. Hasn’t happened yet…

I now live in a lovely ‘30s mansion block with my long-suffering fella – I try not to impose too much Deco on him, the poor boy.

I’ve got so much useful info out of the Lounge already, it's terrific. I’m more of a ‘50s body type (small waist, T&A) but I love the ‘20s and ‘30s style so much that I try to ‘adapt and overcome’ as best I can! Mother Nature did, however, rather kindly endow me with the makings of a natural marcel wave…might have to try some of that legendary Lottabody to see if I can’t coax it out!

Hope to see you on my travels 'round the Lounge...

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
New to site, old addiction

Hello, Ladies--and lurking gentlemen, shame on you ;) j/k --I'm new to FL and probably stumbled upon it while looking up a vintage lipstick shade. (Found one!) I'm really happy to have found a site where my art deco addiction can come out full force! I adore 20's art deco, '30's streamline, and early '40's vintage and incorporate it into nearly all aspects of my life (though I do a very modified, low-key version at work). Fortunately my family puts up with me, and my best friend didn't bat an eye when I excitedly dragged her to the Max Factor museum before it became Mel's Diner. My style seems to most consistanly hover around 1936, and I'd be very happy living on the hotel set of Fred and Ginger's "Top Hat" or in the girls' "Follow the Fleet" apartment...provided, of course, it had running hot and cold water, a working fridge, and an actual ceiling!

melbournian

New in Town
Hello ladies! I'm 21 years old and live in Melbourne, Australia, and stumbled upon this treasure trove when someone on another forum was recommending site for vintage inspiration. I've been reading for a while (I learnt how to do pin curls from here, and that's my first attempt in my avatar!) so I'm excited to finally join! I love vintage styles and music from the 1920s to the 1960s, and especially swing dancing, which my boyfriend and I occasionally do (although we're mere beginners). I would love to incorporate more vintage looks into my everyday wear...I'm getting used to red lipstick now!

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Hey everybody! My name is Andrea, I'm 17 years old (18 in June) and I love everything from the 30s-50s and some 60s. I recently got into vintage style about a year and a half ago but I've always been interested in the past and history ever since I was very young and how wonderful it must have been to live in these eras. I absolutely love big band music. Marilyn Monroe is one of my muses, as are so many other stars of the Golden Era. I'm so glad I've found this place! I've been lurking around for months but didn't decide to join until a couple weeks ago. I must say, it's really nice to find so many others that have similar interests! I love it here already. :)

D

Deleted member 3716

hello ladies

my name is paula and i'm from dublin in ireland.
i've been lurking here for quite a few months so thought it only manners to finally post and introduce myself.
i work in a record shop and am currently in-between bands.
(first practise with my new band tomorrow...)
i collect vintage clothing (read:compulsive shopper) and furniture/art/junk (read:junk) and i'm mainly into the 40's & 50's.
if my avatar *did* upload (i'm useless at that stuff),thats me there on the right.
the one in the dress.
the one not in the dress is my "little" brother.

looking forward to chatting with you all,

paula x

D

Deleted member 3716

hello people,

i've been lurking here for quite a few months so thought it only manners to finally post and introduce myself.
i collect vintage clothing (read:compulsive shopper) and furniture/art/junk (read:junk) and i'm mainly into the 40's & 50's.
if my avatar *did* upload (i'm useless at that stuff),thats me there on the right.
the one in the dress.

paula x

Serafina

New in Town
Posting photos in comments

:eek:fftopic: I'm a bit low-tech. Would someone explain how to post a photo in a comment? Does the photo have to be an a web site? Thanks!!

shooshoobaby1

New in Town
melbournian, you are so adorable. Those are pretty good pin curls for a first attempt!!

Welcome everyone! I have learned so much from these ladies already. They are wonderful.

Kazz

New in Town
Hi everybody, I'm from sunny Sydney, I stumbled across your forums when I keyed in 1940's fashion, I love to sew especially from vintage patterns, I mix a little vintage with handmade and I thought the Fedora lounge would be a great place to meet some like minded peeps yay :)

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Hi! I'm currently living in humid, rainy, Wilmington, NC. I'm a film student and part time receptionist...but I've also done web design, video editing, costuming, stage makeup....etc. I possess a wide range of seemingly useless skills.

I found the lounge while googling '50s hair for a costume based on The Birds. I'm still working my way into dressing completely vintage (which can sometimes prove a bit inconvenient when combined with biking to class)....but I have been wearing red lipstick out and about lately and someone pointed me out to a friend as 'the cute girl with the red lipstick'

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Welcome to all the new ladies! :)

Serafina, I am virtually no-tech so I can't answer your question. lol Sorry! I'm sure someone can help, though.

melbournian

New in Town
MegamiOrchard said:
Yay, there are so many of us!!!

Melbournian - I am down your way in April. Can you suggest any good shops for vintage or retro-inspired clothes and accessories??

Hey MegamiOrchard, probably the best place to go for 50s/rockabilly style clothes is Route 66, which is in the city. I can't remember the name of the arcade it's in, but it's on the corner of Flinders Lane and Swanston St, opposite the police station. There's also a Retrostar vintage clothing shop in the same arcade on the first floor, which is huge and has heaps of vintage finds. If you keep walking along Flinders Lane and then turn right into Degreaves Lane, there's a shop called Shag (at least I think it's still there!) which sells vintage clothing and accessories. I'd also recommend Episode on Swanston St, between Latrobe and Lonsdale Streets, last time I went in they had cute 40s and 50s style stuff, and Leghorn Rouge which I think is quite near Episode unless they've moved.

And at the moment Alannah Hill has an amazing silk georgette 40s style dress, with cute round collar and short sleeves, but at $350 it's out of my budget :(

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Hi all!

Well, my name is Mai Britt, I am 29 and from Denmark, but moved to Sweden 1 1/2 year ago.

I have two icons I look up to, one is Audrey Hepburn and her roles in 'Love in the afternoon' and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' - I just love, love, LOVE her costumes from 'Love in the Afternoon', the big, full skirted dresses, capri pants and ballet flats!

Glamour-wise I am very inspired by Dita von Teese! I think she carries herself with such grace and comes across like a true lady, despite her dayjob is taking of her clothes! :)

I guess my favorite looks would be from the 50s - the full skirts/dresses with crinoline under! I have recently bought my very first new 'vintage' dress, a light pink halterneck dress with a 3/4 full skirt and a supersoft black crinoline to match - I feel like a princess in it!! Now I just need my boyfriend to take me out on a date so I can wear it!!

Thank you for listening!!

Mai - Darhling!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lookit all these new ladies!

Welcome all. Hope you take a look around, and enjoy the girl talk. Please post, talk and have fun!

Welcome all!

LD

old yazoo

Familiar Face
paula said:
hello ladies

the one in the dress.

paula x

Hello Paula from Dublin! My best gal pal and I are planning a trip to Ireland summer or fall. We are both into vintage fashion and swing dancing/ neither of us have been there before. Any advice on where the cool kats go/ or what not to miss?

Thanks ever so!

~miss melissa mae

fifties gal

New in Town
Hi everyone, it's taken me a coupla weeks and one gin martini to introduce myself.
I'm feeling a little shy 'cause seems like most of you fabulous ladies are so much younger than me. I'm in my late fifties, hence the name fifties gal.
This site is fascinating to me, I find all your posts so interesting. I am thrilled to realize there is still so much imagination in the younger generation.
I'd have to say my favourite period is the war years ( ww2 that is). I love the movies, the clothes and the general attitude. Aren't British movies about the war ( I'm Canadian myself) the best? Mrs. Miniver, Sink the Bismarck etc.
I do a lot of sewing, love vintage Vogue patterns. Work in a bank, so not much call to dress in anything but suits. Boring.
Anyway, nice to meet all of you. You're fabulous!

D

Deleted member 3716

old yazoo said:
Hello Paula from Dublin! My best gal pal and I are planning a trip to Ireland summer or fall. We are both into vintage fashion and swing dancing/ neither of us have been there before. Any advice on where the cool kats go/ or what not to miss?

Thanks ever so!

~miss melissa mae

hi!

sorry about not PMing here,but both of us are too "new in town" to do so...
i can definitely point you in the right direction - im sure nearer the time both of us will have reached enough posts to send PM's so let me know when you are coming over and we'll talk!

p x

p.s. dont get *too* excited about dublin :D

Joli7211

Familiar Face
Hi! I guess I should introduce myself... I've already posted on a few boards. I'm 35 years old, and I've always loved vintage. I've only just now learned how to do my hair and my kids are now asking me to put curls in their hair! lol

I'm starting to buy vintage furniture for my house (my new bedroom set is a 1940's antique and absolutely GORGEOUS!! I'll get a picture up sometime), and I have a few vintage accent pieces (like hats or costume jewels) and I am sooooo very glad that I have found this site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner