Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
hey all! Amber here. posting from my cellphone because I have nothing better to do at work :). I've been lurking for a few months now and was finally able to sign up. my roots are in southern california but my stems like being elsewhere!

seems like a nice community, as I don't have more than a couple of friends that actually share common interests, thought this would be a nice way to meet some new people to chat with.

must be getting back to work... or playing sudoku. probably the latter of the two!

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
I can't remember if I posted the last time I was around, but since I wasn't around for very long and then went away, consider this my introduction.

Hi.

Real name's Chris. I used to write comics, and that's where my "handle" comes from -- a character I created a few years ago, an accountant who dreams he's a hardboiled private eye. Not too far from reality, except replace "accountant" with "IT project manager".

I don't wear vintage often enough, but I do like to dress "classic". Own one fedora (sz 7-1/4) that I don't wear very often because I'm scared to get it wet. Which is, of course, the point of a hat...

My current passion is voice acting -- I've been voicing in audio drama podcasts for the past several months, and really having a lot of fun. If I shut my eyes, I can imagine that I'm one of my two favorite actors -- Frank Lovejoy or Humphrey Bogart. (Naturally, I'm a longtime fan of old time radio.)

Not sure what else to tell, so I'll go back to trying to break out of my lurker habit.

Nice to be back.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Hey everyone!
Name is Annette and I live in Cali.. the OC.. this site is wonderful! Soo many things to read about soo little time! LOL

Im new in town.. still trying to get the hold of posting things and such.. but im sure I will get the hang of it :)

Soo A BIG hello to Everyone!

Klaus A

New in Town
My name is Klaus -well, actually short for my real name. Found this forum from link little time ago and just joined other day. Live in Florida's capital city right now but also sometimes in north Alabama. I am really interested in WWII, postwar Germany and 1930s-'50s in general.

I have done some reenacting (German briefly, now Soviet) and wear '50s clothes as I dislike what is currently available.

I am probably one of the youngest members here - going of college later this month. Unforutnately I only know a couple of people in my area who share my interest.:(

alexandra

Practically Family
Klaus A said:
My name is Klaus -well, actually short for my real name. Found this forum from link little time ago and just joined other day. Live in Florida's capital city right now but also sometimes in north Alabama. I am really interested in WWII, postwar Germany and 1930s-'50s in general.

I have done some reenacting (German briefly, now Soviet) and wear '50s clothes as I dislike what is currently available.

I am probably one of the youngest members here - going of college later this month. Unforutnately I only know a couple of people in my area who share my interest.:(

There are actually more of us young people here than you'd expect. It's nice. Welcome etc etc!

verazasulich

New in Town
Hello,

I'm Rachel from Singapore, I'm shy and like to hide in small corners so I've been mostly lurking. I started out goth but somehow "mellowed" into vintage over the past few years (if "mellowed" is the right word) and I've learnt so many tips and tricks here!

I'm mostly into anything from the '20s to the '50s and am trying to find out more about vintage styles from the period for Asian women.

Hope to get to know all of you better!

LondonLuke

One of the Regulars
I lurked for so long and didn't realise there was this area when I signed up, so made the error of creating a thread in another part! sorry!

Anyway I'm Luke, another young'un on here. One thing I love is suits, they should be worn more often, but unfortunantely the general public seems unlikely to change.
I own little vintage, but enjoy the classic look. Only have one fedora so far, but do possess several suits (2 vintage, quite nice) and a trenchcoat, naturally.

mugsy

New in Town
Howdy! Yet another new person here lurking about and figuring out the great stuff on this site. ;) I love movies from the silent era to the modern times (with a special place in my heart for black and white) - a big fan of the "Thin Man" films (was there ever a better pairing than William Powell and Myrna Loy?).

Looking forward to learning my way around this fantastic site :D

troy

One of the Regulars
Hi,

I am troy - the new guy here. I posted a rather lengthy self introduction in the hats category, so check that out for details on how I got here, and the hats I am wearing.

Here are a few other things:

Favorite actor: wow that's a tough one - I have several from a variety of eras, so rather than list a whole long list, how about I pick three, one each from now, then, and before? Edward Norton, Gary Grant, and Charlie Chaplin. Chaplin also doubles as one of my favorite directors as well - the first Independent Film Maker.

Frequency of vintage dressing: I'm working on that. I've longed to do it for years, and am recently taking the plunge. I'm trying to work up to all the time that I'm not at work. Being a vintage punk, I'm working on a mix which adds up to vintage with an old school punk twist.

Favorite Era: I haven't worked that one out yet.

What hat: So far I think I'm leaning more to the Pork Pie hats, and center dent (no pinch) hats, but again, I'm still new to this way of life.

Everyone here has been incredibly nice and very inviting. It is obvious to see that this is a delightful place to spend my time. I look forward to being a member of this community with manners.

Yes please - cream - no sugar. Thank you

Mojito

One Too Many
Hallo to all the new girls!

Rachel, it's fantastic to see a Singaporean here! I lived in Singapore for three years as a child in the 80s, and my sister and her family are over there now - I last visited in December, and am back again in a couple of weeks.

I'd like to see more on Asian 20s - 30s styles as well...advertising posters from the period are become highly expensive and collectable, but it's not hard to get artificially aged repros, and they're gorgeous. Taisho Chic, a look at Japanese style in that era, closed today in Sydney...I'd love to see more from other parts of Asia. Singapore is such a cultural crossroads it would be fascinating to see how style was interpreted there in the Golden Age.

NicFyyar

New in Town
Greetings!

I'm Nicolai, a Golden Era aficionado of relatively young age. In fact, I am only 16 years old, but my reverence of things with style - and you know the time frame - is nonetheless quite high. I'm from Denmark, one of the Scandinavian countries situated north of mighty Germany, so the availability of Golden Era stuff, from cars to clothes, is quite limited, which might explain the late point at which my interest started picking up speed.

My interest stems from a mixture of my interest for history - especially 20th century history and WW2 in particular - and Johnny B. Goode. In 2006( yes, I am a young and inexperienced soul), I discovered that Rock & Roll was my thing, and I began exploring the world of the Fifties. I wear a pair of Ray-Ban browline glasses to show off my passion for the mid-20th Century. But I soon found out that while R&R was what my ears wanted (and, to a lesser extent, Swing), my eyes wholly embraced the styles of the Golden Age. The towering Art Deco skyscrapers, the swanky double-breasted and three piece suits, the classic coats and the stately cars are of an indescribable beauty.
When I stumbled over this forum the other day, where people shared this passion, I immediately joined up.

So, hello everybody! :)

klara

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone.

Not sure how I missed this thread.. My name is Anna and I live in Goteborg, Sweden. I love vintage clothing and and I have a huge crush on shoes from the 40s. I don't really have any friends who are into vintage, so I'm happy to have found this forum.

Anna

klara

One of the Regulars
Hello ladies.

I have totally missed this thread. (Sorry) My name is Anna and I live in Goteborg, Sweden. I'm really happy to have found this forum, finally some girls who will understand my love for vintage shoes ;)

Anna

verazasulich

New in Town
Mojito said:
Hallo to all the new girls!

Rachel, it's fantastic to see a Singaporean here! I lived in Singapore for three years as a child in the 80s, and my sister and her family are over there now - I last visited in December, and am back again in a couple of weeks.

I'd like to see more on Asian 20s - 30s styles as well...advertising posters from the period are become highly expensive and collectable, but it's not hard to get artificially aged repros, and they're gorgeous. Taisho Chic, a look at Japanese style in that era, closed today in Sydney...I'd love to see more from other parts of Asia. Singapore is such a cultural crossroads it would be fascinating to see how style was interpreted there in the Golden Age.

Hi! I've got another friend from Singapore on the Lounge as well, I think. He's far more hardcore than I am.

Vintage fashion here seems to concentrate more on the '60s onwards so you get many Western-style dresses but fewer Chinese pieces. Another vintage favourite seems to be Peranakan clothes: it's kind of like a fusion between Malay and Chinese styles and with plenty of beaded shoes thrown in just for the prettiness... I'm more interested in the Chinese aspect of things but find it very hard to locate vintage cheongsam/qipao and the like. I think all the nice old ladies are hoarding theirs!

Rufus

Practically Family
Welcome All!

It amazes me there are so many Scandinavians on this Forum! Obviously the nordic ley lines produces interesting People!

:) Rufus

verazasulich

New in Town
ShrinkingViolet said:
:eek:fftopic: Verazasulich, I <3 your screen name! Are you into the whole nigilistka phenomenon? (Radical feminists in pre-revolutionary Russia)

I don't know as much about them as I'd like, but I studied Russian history in university and had the sheer insanity to learn Russian in a year to read the archival sources.

I have a kind of tragic admiration for Zasulich and the other women revolutionaries of the period: Alexandra Kollontai, Rosa Luxemburg (not Russian, but still), Natalia Sedova, which probably explains the screen name!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
verazasulich said:
I don't know as much about them as I'd like, but I studied Russian history in university and had the sheer insanity to learn Russian in a year to read the archival sources.

I have a kind of tragic admiration for Zasulich and the other women revolutionaries of the period: Alexandra Kollontai, Rosa Luxemburg (not Russian, but still), Natalia Sedova, which probably explains the screen name!

Oh, how cool that you know Russian! I read Chernyshevsky's What Is To Be Done? via references to it in Emma Goldman's memoirs and became a little obsessed with Vera Pavlovna's character, these women, their beliefs, dresscode and everything :)
Well, anyway, welcome to the lounge :)

T.E.W.Clough

New in Town
Ah, I also missed this one on first joining.

I'm fairly shy I'm afraid, hence the lack of posts in the first few months (has it been that long already?), but hopefully, I'll start posting more now...

It's fantastic to find a base of people with the same interests and passions as I! I struggle to find many who are willing even to accept my dress sense, never mind the rest. A refreshing place to escape to, and thanks for having me!

Sorry, gush over.

kmike1918

New in Town
Hello all!

My name is Mike and I am a big fan of retro culture, history and popular culture! I love the 30's and 40's! Anyone here from MD/VA areas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner