Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Anwen

New in Town
Hullo, all. I've found my way here while looking for info on 40s style, and have been reading for a couple of weeks, now. I am keen on 1930s-50s styles, and especially late '30s-40s. I don't own any actual vintage clothes, but I'm learning to sew, and have been practicing pincurls. I'm also planning to knit a 1940s style jumper, and am knitting a cardi for my DD at the moment. I live in London, and will be hopefully attending the Wimpole at War event in two weeks time in Cambs. Oh, and my daughter is currently getting dragged into my 40s obsession, as she is very interested in WWII from the child's perspective and especially evacuees - I'm currently reading Carrie's War and she's having it next!

I've noticed quite a efw Londoners on here, which is great! I don't always look as good as I'd like, as I am a single mum with a disabling chronic illness (similar to MS) and frankly a lot of the time I'm doing well if I have remembered to put my shoes on the right feet, so if any of you have been stared at jealously by a woman with a purple spotted walking stick, that may well have been me! I am autistic/AS, as well, so I'm pretty likely to actually stop people and tell them they look ace, but when people are dressed full-on vintage I sometimes feel a bit more shy...

Lorena B

Practically Family
wow, i am thrilled to see how many people are joining, welcome all of you.

I am also glad to see new friends coming also from the Netherlands!! wow!! :D

Kita St Cyr

New in Town
Hello from NY!

I'm new here, but I've been lurking about for quite some time. You're a stylish bunch of ladies and I'm honored to be in your company :D

I do a lot of pinup modeling and have a fascination with the 1920's-1950's (especially the 50's). I also do a bit of sewing, and I'm trying to improve in that area.

Bluebird

New in Town
Hellooo...yet another newbie!!

Hello there! I'm a 30ish (why be specific?) girl who has always loved anything vintage! I was the "odd duck" amongst my friends for watching old movies, reading old novels, and doing my best to be "proper" (hah! didn't always work, but I tried!!) I have been lurking here for months now, and I have finally made the plunge to join the crew. I know I'm going to have a blast here, there are so many like minded people. :)

I'm bouncing in my chair as I am writing this, I am just THAT excited!!

bluebird

Starry

New in Town
Another one gal on the block

Hi everyone!
I had been lurking for many month about a year ago.I always use yahoo for my email and so I called my internet co. to see how to set up an email acct thru them so I could join.Well my Vista wouldn't let me go to thier secure site to get one,we worked for nearly 2 hrs.I gave up.About 5 months later I tried again,no luck again.Finally a week ago I got an email sorted out, but couldn't for the life of me remember the name of this forum.[huh]
After searching for hrs for about 4 days,I found it and well, here I am.

Le.Raven

New in Town
I'm so new that this is my first post.

My name is Kelli, and I'm a 19 year old English major. I adore the 1940s and 1950s. I especially love the "pin-up" and "bombshell" looks. I got tipped off about this place at Gaia Online.

balgal

New in Town
Welcome to all the new ladies!!

I love the 1920-1940's for the past 7 to 8 years.

And if any of you ladies have any beauty questions (hairstyling, nails, and makeup) just drop me a line. Or check out my picks of hairstyles I can do on my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/balswinggal

In a little while from now I will have pictures of nails and or makeup on my myspace page!!! :)

You all look beautiful!!

RetroPat

Familiar Face
Hi,
It's so great to be posting here after visiting several times over the past couple of months. I'm 20 and have a great love for things from the 20's-50's. I've been collecting vintage items for a couple of years and have recently inherited some furniture from the golden era. I love it all and can't wait to get my own place to put it all in. Everyone seems very inviting here and I look forward to contributing to the conversations here and hopefully learning more about an era that has fascinated me for my entire life.
warm regards,
Patrick

Bluebird

New in Town
Hello! I tried posting here a few days ago, but for some reason it booted me out! So here I am again, crossing my fingers this works. :eusa_doh:

I have been a fan of anything vintage as far back as I can remember. (Drove dear mum mad with my clutter!) Mum did introduce me to old books and movies. (Although, it was dad who introduced me to Roy Rogers!) I've been lurking here for ages and I'm excited to be part of the crew. Looking forward to many years of collaboration with everyone!

^_^bluebird

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I feel like a newcomer...

I have been away for so long. But, lately I have rediscovered style and fashion and would like to get into the mix of things again.

I'm happy to be back in the mix.

Cheers,
Pyr.

SnackPacKid

New in Town
Hello all!

After lurking for a while, I finally decided to join the fun. I'm 30 years old, from Michigan. I've always felt that I was born in the wrong decade, with a hankering for the 40s and 50s, but really 1920s thru the 60s all fascinate me.

Thanks for having me!

SnackPacKid

New in Town
Hello!

I introduced myself in The Observation Bar, but I thought I should here as well. I'm Stacey, 30, from Michigan. I've always had a love for the 40s and 50s especially, but the 20s thru the 60s all hold a place in my heart -the fashion, the style, the manner, the world, all of of it!

I'm still new to wearing instead of just admiring. My hair is very long and I will most likely cut it - if I decide to take that plunge - if for no other reason than to make some really cute hair!
I am a plus-sized gal, so real vintage clothing isn't *really* an option, but I bought some patterns today in my size that are repro's of the originals (Simplicity, Buttericks, and Vogue) and are actually in my size! Now I only have to dig out that sewing machine from the storage unit (uh-oh)
(On sale 2 patterns for $3!!!! brand new!!! The sale is on until the 30th of this month if any of you ladies would like me to pick them up for you and send 'em out in your size).

Well now, that was quite the introduction. Guess I had more to say than I thought ;)

I'm so glad to be here, thank you all for having me!

Cary Grant

New in Town
Hello gang!

Finally joined. Love the site. Just picked up my frist Borsalino from Heimie's in St. Paul. Can I be in love with a hat?!? :eek:

I look forward to getting to know you.

:)

MrsJingles

New in Town
Hi there!

I've been lurking here for a while. I first found this place when I was looking for a way to get rid of my tan... great advice!

I'm 18 and go to Michigan State University. I'm not new to vintage, but new to wearing it. I'm so happy to be in a place that loves vintage as much as I do!

Ales Rider

New in Town
Hi Everyone:D

Hooray for this forum!!! Finally somewhere I can indulge my vintage hobby without people looking at me as if I'm mad as a hatter!!

I'm Ales, I'm 29 and I'm in Chester, UK although I've recently moved down here from Glasgow, Scotland. (I miss it like mad!)

I've always loved vintage, but as I get older the era's I'm interested in seem to get further back in time! However I've always loved the WW2 era as my mommy lived through it and has always had plenty to tell me about that time.

I've been lurking for a few weeks, but now I'll be contributing more posts, so i'll see you all around.

Love
Ales xx

Introducing myself...

HI Y'all!

My name is Katherine and I make vintage reproductions from a little tiki hut in Bali.

I live and breath vintage dresses. Somehow I woke up one day and found that I was AINcient. I kid you not; I am OLD. But that does give me a chance to have exposed myself to a whole lot of sewing, so it is some consolation that at least I know a thing or two. I used to work for Hollywood doing costumes before falling in love with Bali and moving here because it is a crafts-person's paradise as well as most interesting and exotic.

Speaking of being old. I was at Viva Las Vegas earlier this year and some well-meaning whipper snapper came up to me and my equally ancient friend and said, "You ladies are what this is all about!" Lord have mercy- he thought we were dressing 50's because we had *never changed our look* and were "the real thing!" LORD! MY MOM AND DAD are 80+ and I have pics of THEM dressing 50's (during the actual fifties) and right nattily, if I do say so myself. I'm old but I am not THAT old!!!! Whoa!

So speaking of beauty as some of you were, I do wish someone could give me an idea what to do with my hair but it's a very tough case. My problem, first off, is that I live in the tropics. This is a major complication. Next, my hair is thinnish. Next, my hair is slightly naturally wavy- just enough to make it look "unkempt" but not enough to achieve a good "bed head"/ devil-may-care mussed look. Next I live for my work and, ladies, I'm not into the fetish of hair the way I once was so it has to be easy. Next, I have a thin face and look dreadful with my hair pulled back, even though in the tropics all I want to do is pull it back. But I resist. It isn't easy and takes great strength of character. Lately I have been pinning the very top- like what would be bangs if I had bangs- straight back with a couple of bobby pins. I have it blunt cut at chin length because my face is so thin that I have to have the horizontal line at the chin to fill in my cheeks. But it really isn't up to my standards; I've got to find an answer.

Is there any way to post a pic? I'd sure like to get some ideas! I think you'd have to see what you were working with, though.

Anyhow, I do share a lot in common with most of you ladies. I have to answer a lot of email for my work so I don't have tons of time to hang in a forum, but I'd like to drop in now and again and chit-chat. (I don't always have to talk about myself, either! Contrary to how it might appear... )

Okay! Hope to 'see" you around!

Katherine
"Whirlingturban"

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Whirlingturban said:
My name is Katherine and I have a little company called Whirlingturban. We make the worlds' finest (IMHO) :rolleyes: vintage reproductions from a little tiki hut in Bali. My website is whirlingturban.com ; stop on by.

Welcome, Katherine! Everyone here is familiar with your company and I believe there's a Whirlingturban thread over in the Powder Room.

Careful about plugging your company in threads here, though. There are pretty strict rules here about that.

So speaking of beauty as some of you were, I do wish someone could give me an idea what to do with my hair but it's a very tough case.

Check out the beauty forum! You'll probably find that the answers to almost any question you could have are already addressed there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24