Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Feathers

Familiar Face
Here again...

Hey there, Ladies. My name is Feathers. I haven't been on in quite a while but I thought I'd say hello. I'm married (2 years in October), have no children (give it about 5 years), and have a Jack Russell terrier named Zoe. My husband and I recently bought a house (built in 1929!) and collect antiques. My favorite decades are the 20s and 30s. My favorite actress is Bette Davis, I go absolutely woozy for Robert Taylor, and can't stop wondering why I was born in this time versus the last.

How's that for a reintro? ;)

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Back - does that count?!

I've been off this list for so long I feel I should reintroduce myself.
Hello! I'm Tottie

RC

New in Town
Greetings, all.
I find that I just love "old stuff" - I'm not attached to any one special era. I haven't worn much in the way of vintage clothes since high school in the 80's, but I do treasure and wear my grandmother's jewelry and other accessories from the early 1900's - about the 1950's. And I've just moved into a little 1920's cottage -heaven! Entertainment-wise, I'm especially into the Thin Man, anything by Billy Wilder, and internet radio stations like "Dismuke" and "Sweet and Lovely" (1920's and 30's pop music). Oooh, and I'm reading The Art of Eating by M.F.K. Fisher, which contains essays about cooking during WWII and the food shortages. Amazing and sometimes very heartbreaking.

Anthony K

Familiar Face
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

My name's Anthony, I've been lurking around for a little while, and decided to finally register. I found this fantastic forum thru Classic Style magazine. Not much to tell, I currently reside in Colorado Springs, CO by way of Washington state (actually I'm looking to relocate back to Washington). I've always had a great love for "the golden era," primarily the 30's and 40's, which obviously many of you do as well.

Like most people, I enjoy movies, especially the classics. Movie making will never be the same. One of my other passions is art, pretty much any medium, especially impressionism and art deco. Reading is another passion of mine, and of course fashion, suits are my thing!

I look forward to having many conversations with all of you.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
Hello all
I have known about the Fedora Lounge for awhile now, but never joined due to my undesireable freebe e-mail account.
I guess my favorite Golden Era time frame would be the 1930's and the war years of the 40's. I enjoy vintage aircraft, autos, I love classic movies and of course the Fedora.
I have had a vintage Harcfield lurking in my closet for years and just pulled it out a few months ago and right after purchased my first new Fedora a wonderfull Akubra Federation IV Deluxe.
I don't mind those Indy comments at all.

Slytherin

New in Town
Hello everybody

I'm Marie, french goth'n'roll illustrator working a lot for music industry and magazine. My speciality is retro modern pin up . If you want take a look you have some links in mys signature. I'm in love since i was young with 40s and 50s era. Perhaps beacause my grandma told me a lot about the WWII and had a lot of photos of her in 40s fashion. Perhaps too because I'm Alsacian and we paid a heavy tribute during wars between France and Germany especially in WWII. I've red a lot of book for understand why and how.... At least I dicovered the forum in the diary of the lovely Fleur de Guerre.

Bettie Booh

Familiar Face
I've been reading off and on for a while, now its time to inrtoduce myself. Im Jodine, or as some of you may recognize me, Bettie Booh. My favourite eras is no doubt the 40's and 50's, and the later half of the 30's. Im mostly on this forum to get new friends, but also get some inspiration for hair, makeup and clothes, since Ive just started to make my own V.I clothes.

SwingKid7

New in Town
My name says it all

Okay maybe not it ALL.
Hi everyone I'm Jenny
(not worried about killers coming after me by revealing my first name.)
I live in the USA.
My mother was born in 1925, so she was just the right age to be in the middle of the swing era.
She taught me to dance when I was a little girl in the living room.
I grew up on Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and Frank Sinatra.
I heard stories of the boyfriends and friends she lost in World War 2.

So that's my main interest....the 40s.
However, I also have interest in the 30s and 20s as they were the pre-cursors of what was to come.

I play in a virtual world called Second Life. There I have a club done up like a
1940s USO. I have had it since January and it is loads of fun.
My character there dresses up mainly in 40s style, somtimes 30s, sometimes 20s. There is a place there called 1920s Berlin. A friend of mine runs that. I go there often too.

As for my "real life".....I don't dress or act or have many things from these eras. However I would like to learn how to do my hair and dress in period clothing on a budget.

Okay, I have rambled enough. If anyone has any interest in visiting my virtual 1940s world, let me know!

SwingKid7

New in Town
an intro to me

Hello I am Jenny

I grew up on the music of the 1940s. My mother started teaching me the dances from that era when I was a little girl.
Both my grandmother and mother always had such great style. In everything they did really, but especially how they dressed and took care of themselves.

I'd like to start picking up where they left off. I don't have much vintagewear other than a couple of my grandma's coats. And I only occasionally do up my hair.

I'm here to learn and socialize and just have some fun. I look foward to meeting you all.

Antje

One Too Many
elserienkeklave said:
hello,

Í've been reading for a few months,and thought it was time to say hello!
My name is Elserienke and I'm from The Netherlands.
I just can't decide wich style I like best 20-30's 0r 40-50's or maybe 60-70's?

Welcome, Elserienke, another dutchie over here.

Ofcourse welcome to all the other new ladies over here.
Have a lot of fun on the forum

klind65

One of the Regulars
Hello Jenny,

Welcome. I am new here myself, and may I offer a caveat: this place is addictive! I have neglected much of the work I need to get done since I joined, so have fun but beware! I would like to ask you about your virtual 1940's world. What is it all about?! Thanks & kind wishes, klind65 :)

SwingKid7

New in Town
virtual USO Club

klind65 said:
Hello Jenny,

Welcome. I am new here myself, and may I offer a caveat: this place is addictive! I have neglected much of the work I need to get done since I joined, so have fun but beware! I would like to ask you about your virtual 1940's world. What is it all about?! Thanks & kind wishes, klind65 :)

Hello Klind,
Thank you for the welcome. My virtual 1940s USO Club is in a "game" called Second Life http://secondlife.com
It's just a very very small part of the entire virtual world there.
My club plays big bands music via a radio stream day and night.
There are animations there for your avatar that will have you dancing retro dances singley or with a partner. We have couples dances like the jitterbug, waltz and charleston.
We dress up our avatars in vintage attire that can be found free or purchased for very small fees in world there.
It's hard to explain. But...feel free to PM me for more info.
Below are a couple of screenshots :)

3496234680_30491446ea_o.jpg

3462436438_5ca546b38c_b.jpg

and here is the link to my Flickr group with lots of pics of all kinds of vintage areas of Second Life. It's called "The Second Life Time Machine"
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sltimemachine/

Cat Meow

New in Town
Hello, my name is Erna and I come from Finland!

I've been reading and learning from you beautiful ladies for a really long time. Now I finally felt brave enough to join and I just want to thank you for all the guidance I've got from you this far.

I'm a bit of a tomboy, love the 50's, hotrods and rockabilly. But am now "getting to know my feminine side". Nail polish, curling hair and maybe even wearing a dress sometimes instead of jeans lol

And I'm sorry for my english, it's a bit poor. Haven't written anything since school :rolleyes: I need to work on that.

Parfait

New in Town
Hello Ladies!
I am excited to have finally joined this forum! I found this forum some time ago while searching how to clean stains out of vintage clothing, then a few weeks later I found the forum again while searching how to put in pin curls! It is fantastic to view all of the photos posted here, and all of the information!
I live near D.C., and recently (12 weeks ago!) had my first baby. I love to bake, sew, and go searching for vintage clothing. I love watching older movies, especially ones starring Cary Grant! Recently I’ve been trying to style my hair with a vintage feel (I have *never* styled my hair, ack!) and I feel like I am on this forum daily looking at all the wonderful ‘do’s!
Take Care Everyone!
Christina

analiebe

A-List Customer
hey dolls....

my name is anastasia... i've been following the lounge shennanigans for a while now & finally decided to join in... i'm a melbourne gal & am pleased to 'clink' martini glasses with all of you

Espiadimonis

New in Town
Hello, I'm Gemma.

Before I start: all the English I've been taught is simpler than simple, everything I know is from reading or listening. So maybe my sentences will be hard to understand, since I don't have a good grasp of the language yet.

I don't really remember how I found the Lounge, but it certainly was a while ago!

My favourite eras to wear are the 50s-60s, but I love the elegance and good taste of the 30s and 40s. As I love, too, the rebellious and bold statement of the 20s.
I'm pretty young, so I'm sticking to these. I've always liked the way teens looked then. Fun and practical clothes, but also clean-looking (I don't know how to put this, damn you basic English). They were basically the opposite of my generation nowadays and the clothes I'm seemingly forced to wear.
I like the idea of speaking through the way I'm dressed, so I take this into account when I choose the clothes I'll wear, even when they're modern. I don't want to say "hey, look at me, I'm different!" but "I feel way more like me with this than with what you're wearing". Besides, new trends don't fit me. Sorry, I'm not shaped like a plank of wood.
I don't dress fully vintage as I can't find pieces in my town, and I don't like to buy online (I'd kill for a pair of saddle shoes!). But I wear dark cuffed jeans instead of ripped and bleached ones, and nice, tucked shirts instead of the both terribly long and terribly sewn I see everywhere. That's a start.
I'm learning to sew though, but then again, I can't find PATTERNS. My, what a sad life.

I hope you ladies will be able to help me, and there are lots of things I need help with, sadly.

This came out so long! Sorry everyone, and thanks for reading :eek:

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Welcome

Espiadimonis said:
Hello, I'm Gemma.

Before I start: all the English I've been taught is simpler than simple, everything I know is from reading or listening. So maybe my sentences will be hard to understand, since I don't have a good grasp of the language yet.

I don't really remember how I found the Lounge, but it certainly was a while ago!

My favourite eras to wear are the 50s-60s, but I love the elegance and good taste of the 30s and 40s. As I love, too, the rebellious and bold statement of the 20s.
I'm pretty young, so I'm sticking to these. I've always liked the way teens looked then. Fun and practical clothes, but also clean-looking (I don't know how to put this, damn you basic English). They were basically the opposite of my generation nowadays and the clothes I'm seemingly forced to wear.
I like the idea of speaking through the way I'm dressed, so I take this into account when I choose the clothes I'll wear, even when they're modern. I don't want to say "hey, look at me, I'm different!" but "I feel way more like me with this than with what you're wearing". Besides, new trends don't fit me. Sorry, I'm not shaped like a plank of wood.
I don't dress fully vintage as I can't find pieces in my town, and I don't like to buy online (I'd kill for a pair of saddle shoes!). But I wear dark cuffed jeans instead of ripped and bleached ones, and nice, tucked shirts instead of the both terribly long and terribly sewn I see everywhere. That's a start.
I'm learning to sew though, but then again, I can't find PATTERNS. My, what a sad life.

I hope you ladies will be able to help me, and there are lots of things I need help with, sadly.

This came out so long! Sorry everyone, and thanks for reading :eek:

Welcome Espiadimonis!

You were worried for nothing because your post was very easy to understand.;)

analiebe

A-List Customer
50sGal said:
Hi Ladies! Ive only just joined The Fedora Lounge and I honestly do not have a clue as to what Im doing!!!!!?
Im a collector of anything and everything from the 40s through 50s..
i work in a gorgeous little vintage shop called Frou Frou, which is extremley handy with my obsession of all things vintage!
I hope that I can work out how to use this site properly as I think it is Fab!!!!

hey doll... great to see other australian gals on here - you mentioned the gorgeous shop you work at - i was wondering if you'd like to put a little blurb together so i could add it to the sourcebook section of my blog - i'm slowly building a comprehensive sourebook section covering al sorts of vinatge/ heritage resources & obviously top-notch vintage shops are to be an important of that - being a melbourne gal i don't have the inside knowledge of sydney gems... anyway have a look at my blog and let me know if you want me to include frou frou in the sydney glad-rags section - http://analiebe.wordpress.com/the-sourcebook/glad-rags/

cheers darlin'
x ana

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo