Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

Hestia

Familiar Face
Hi lovelies!

Hello, vintage beauties! I've seen several links to this forum from another I post on regularly, and finally decided to quit lurking and show myself.

I recently ordered several vintage patterns, and I'll probably be over in the sewing thread begging for help soon. I've only used crisp new modern patterns in my size before, so vintage patterns that need resizing will probably be a bit of an education, but I'm sure I can muddle through.

I also have a nice trove of photos from the 40's-50's that came to me recently; as I get these scanned in I'll post them in the photo threads for y'all. There are some really good outfits, and the couple who took the pictures travelled in a gorgeous Airstream trailer.

Anyway, looking forward to bothering you with my questions! :D

WelshLocks

New in Town
hey

I'm from Florida and absolutely love the classic styles.I believe that vintage clothing and hair is the prettiest style out there.I wish I knew more on how to do my hair the right way....but I'll learn.I'm also a member of the Long Hair Community because I am growing my hair out to my waist. I'm currently at bra strap length so only about 4-6 inches more to go. My favorite era is probably the 40s.I can do victory rolls and pincurls but both are pretty shabby and need some work.I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Aoide

50sGal

New in Town
analiebe said:
hey doll... great to see other australian gals on here - you mentioned the gorgeous shop you work at - i was wondering if you'd like to put a little blurb together so i could add it to the sourcebook section of my blog - i'm slowly building a comprehensive sourebook section covering al sorts of vinatge/ heritage resources & obviously top-notch vintage shops are to be an important of that - being a melbourne gal i don't have the inside knowledge of sydney gems... anyway have a look at my blog and let me know if you want me to include frou frou in the sydney glad-rags section - http://analiebe.wordpress.com/the-sourcebook/glad-rags/

cheers darlin'
x ana
Hi Ana.....Sorry for the late reply to your post, I have only just read it.
I think that its a wonderful idea to include Frou Frou in you blog!
I will put together a blurb and photos-I will let you know when Ive done that and go from there, thanks for that!! jacki

pinkshoes

New in Town
Hello ladies :)

My name is Kelli and I've been wandering to the Fedora Lounge for several months now. I've always been interested in "older" things, music... movies, so I decided to extend that to clothing. Within the last year or so I've really been changing my wardrobe. I love most eras, 1910s through 1960s, and love to mix and match. :)
This seems like a fun place, so I am looking forward to sticking around!

Joonie

Familiar Face
Hello, fancy ladies! I've been reading this forum for over a year and have finally decided to take the proverbial leap. I do not normally dress vintage, but add bits here or there to my daily outfits. (I am a middle school teacher and do not want to frighten the kiddies!) As a child I grew up adoring my grandmothers' sense of style, both past and present, and am fascinated by those bold or engaged enough to fully immerse themselves in vintage clothes, make-up, living, or style. I look forward to learning from you all!

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Hi Ladies and Gents,
What a great forum. I've read the odd post here for years, for some reason, havent joined here till now.
I'm a graphic designer out of Alameda, CA with a wide eye for retro. I'm not stuck to any single period (though if i had to choose one, maybe the mid 60s, when America had just started loosening its tie but hadn't started spiking the punch with LSD?)
I've always filled my life with bits and pieces from a variety of eras, everything from the packaging in the medicine cabinet (lots of intimidating medicine bottles from the 20's to hold cough syrup and claritin) to the clothes on my back (cubavera and country shirts with old flairs and chucks or italian shoes). I shave with a brush, smoke a pipe, grease my hair and carry sensen in my pocket. I'm not a purist by any means, i balance function and necessity with form and mix elements from decades apart, that might make devoted anachronists balk... but I like to think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
There's just something about how things used to be done; the respect, the deliberation, ...and how things used to be made.... the solid feel, the smooth lines, the pride and love in manufacturing..

In anycase, I look forward to spending some time here.

Buster

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Welcome...all!

I am a "newbie", myself.

Just getting lost in all these pages is great!

Joonie, Pinkshoes, Welshlocks and Hestia...

Welcome! If I do say so, myself!!

Sandi

analiebe

A-List Customer
50sGal said:
Hi Ana.....Sorry for the late reply to your post, I have only just read it.
I think that its a wonderful idea to include Frou Frou in you blog!
I will put together a blurb and photos-I will let you know when Ive done that and go from there, thanks for that!! jacki

hey jacki... i'm so glad - thank you! - i've added you to my buddy list - hopefully that will let me send you a message with my email addy so i can give you somewhere to send it through to... xa

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Hestia said:
Hello, vintage beauties! I've seen several links to this forum from another I post on regularly, and finally decided to quit lurking and show myself.

I recently ordered several vintage patterns, and I'll probably be over in the sewing thread begging for help soon. I've only used crisp new modern patterns in my size before, so vintage patterns that need resizing will probably be a bit of an education, but I'm sure I can muddle through.

I also have a nice trove of photos from the 40's-50's that came to me recently; as I get these scanned in I'll post them in the photo threads for y'all. There are some really good outfits, and the couple who took the pictures travelled in a gorgeous Airstream trailer.

Anyway, looking forward to bothering you with my questions! :D

I can hardly wait to see your photos!:eusa_clap

Sugar Mamie

New in Town
Hi!

I'm new here too! I'm from Portugal, Europe.

In Portugal there isn't a vintage culture like in other countries, the few things one can find are from the 60's or so. So, I had to find other ways to buy vintage items for my wardrobe! I ended up in ebay, and researching a bit deeper on some details I found the Fedora Lounge.

I can say it is very depressing to be a swing era lover in Portugal, because nobody, understands, likes, shares this passion. I'm happy anyway and I'm not gonna change :D
I'm just sad there is no party for me to take my vintage clothing to. I take them to work!

It's a pleasure to be among you connoisseurs of the matter!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
SwingKid7 said:
Hello Klind,
Thank you for the welcome. My virtual 1940s USO Club is in a "game" called Second Life http://secondlife.com
It's just a very very small part of the entire virtual world there.
My club plays big bands music via a radio stream day and night.
There are animations there for your avatar that will have you dancing retro dances singley or with a partner. We have couples dances like the jitterbug, waltz and charleston.
We dress up our avatars in vintage attire that can be found free or purchased for very small fees in world there.
It's hard to explain. But...feel free to PM me for more info.
Below are a couple of screenshots :)

3496234680_30491446ea_o.jpg

3462436438_5ca546b38c_b.jpg

and here is the link to my Flickr group with lots of pics of all kinds of vintage areas of Second Life. It's called "The Second Life Time Machine"
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sltimemachine/

Your virtual club sounds great. You should start a separate thread about it. Who knows we may all end up partying in your virtual club one day.:eusa_clap

noonblueapples

Familiar Face
Hi, I found this place when I was googling information on braces. I began reading random threads and find it fascinating and decided to sign up and stay for a while.

......and I described this site to my wife and she wondered if anyone might have mentioned the restored vintage theatre in town. I searched and saw that not only is it mentioned, but the woman who works there and always dresses vintage has thousands of interesting posts on almost every topic here.

To our newest members, check the EVENTS section now and again.

There might be an event or get-together posted that's close by and worth your while!

Around the globe we have hotbeds of activity, and there's interesting stuff going on all the time.

Is there something going on near you then please consider posting an event for your fellow Loungers to attend.

SpatzKat

New in Town
While I've been here for some time I don't think I ever posted an intro.
Comes with being a champion lurker I suppose...

My name is Jim, I'm 35, a collector/refurbisher of early 20th century items. Currently, I live in NYC but will be relocating to Pennsylvania in the near future.

I have a penchant for Art Deco and am very much enthralled by the lifestyles of the 30's and 40's. I suppose my enthusiasm for such things has to do with growing up around my grandparents house, which seemed oddly stuck in the 40's. Not completely of course but nearly so.
I'm not so much a reenactor or vintage lifestyler I do enjoy reading about the time periods and applying the ideals to life as I know it.

Joonie

Familiar Face
I've already "introduced" myself in the "Powder Room," but am just pleased as punch to have finally gotten the gumption to join what is such a wonderful gathering place of fascinating people; full of class, grace, intrigue, and tolerance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo