Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

JohnnieT

New in Town
Hello everyone.

Greetings to everyone.
My name is John. I found the Fedora Lounge while helping a ladyfriend research vintage swimsuits. I've been told I have a keen eye for that sort of thing, but I think she was buttering me up so that she wouldn't have to do her own research. ;)
I quit college to join the US Army seven years ago, and it looks like I'll be making a career of it. I'm current serving my third tour in Iraq. I've lost one marriage to the pace of deployments.
I've always been told by my friends that I have an "old soul" and it's always shown in my dress and behavior. I love my dad, but it was my grandfather who taught me how to dress and the act the part of what he called a "man's man". I think I took the lessons a little deeper to heart than he intended.
I've always loved vintage cars and motorbikes. Film Noir, mystery novels, and all the other assorted accoutrements of the lifestyle were just a matter of course.
My interest is spreading now to not just the clothes or the cars or the "stuff". It's becoming more about the lifestyle. Andventure, intrigue, resiliance, and determination somehow combined with simplicity and class just makes my day. Hopefully one day I'll use those words to describe myself, not my lifestyle.
So hello again and best wishes to all.

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
Hello ladies. I've been wandering about (lurking) this forum for a few months and have just decided to finally take the plunge and join as a member.

I adore everything vintage, specifically the 1940's - 1960's era. I came across this forum when googling vintage hair tutorials. I've been hooked ever since and find myself coming back here to read some more. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute enough helpful information as I've received from a lot of you. See you all around!

analiebe

A-List Customer
heya lady! - despite adding you to my buddy list no go with being able to send you a message through here so just let me know when you've put something together on the shop and i'll post up my email contact xa

50sGal said:
Hi Ana.....Sorry for the late reply to your post, I have only just read it.
I think that its a wonderful idea to include Frou Frou in you blog!
I will put together a blurb and photos-I will let you know when Ive done that and go from there, thanks for that!! jacki

analiebe

A-List Customer
hey gents & dames...
i am new on the block and hail from the far flung antipodean isle otherwise known as australia... i've previously introduced myself in the powder room but thought i'd come out of the shadows and introduce myself properly here...
i'm an addicted long-term collector of vintage clothing and various other bits & pieces... an artisan, designer, costumier, artists model & shopgirl who believes wholeheartedly in both style AND substance and that a life lived without creativity is no life at all...

it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance... and a joy to meet so many like-minded individuals

cheers! analiebe

Countess

New in Town
*waves*

Good evening ladies, I'm new round these parts thanks to my partner stumbling across the site and shouting to me "I think I've FINALLY found somewhere perfect for you online, love".

So after a little lurking around for a few days, I thought I'd take the plunge and say 'hello'. :)

I'm particularly in love with the 1920s - 1950s, although I quite adore late Victorian stuff and whatnot too. I do the school run in petticoats and get lots of compliments (mainly from the dads, the tracksuit-clad mums shun me!) but hey, what is a girl to do?! ;) :D

So yes, this is me and hello to all of you.

xx

Madcap Heiress

New in Town
Hi!

Hi! I’ve been a lurker for bit, and I think it’s high time I joined and became an active member. I’ve always been fascinated by the 1920s to the early 1960s. It all started because of my love of classic film, which I was introduced to when I was very little. I grew up watching all the classics, and from then on became interested in the times in which they were made.

This emersion greatly influenced my interest in vintage fashion. To me, the epitome of style was represented by the stars I saw on the screen. I love to sew, and I am slowly starting to put together a collection of handmade clothing made from vintage patterns.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Ruby Red

New in Town
Hello friends...
I've around here minimally over the past couple of years, but I have not introduced myself! I am originally from the San Francisco area, and have since spent the last couple of years moving between SF, LA and Seattle. I now reside mostly in Seattle...I am an art student focusing on Photography, and Drawing/Painting. Actually, I am starting up a business with photography, so I'm available for portraits and band shoots if you're interested!

I am a vintage enthusiast, Jazz lover, artist, and dancer (lindy hop, balboa, and so on...). I love to travel; I live out of a suitcase at least a third of the time and quite a bit of it is for Lindy Hop events around the U.S. and now abroad as well. I first became interested in the whole vintage thing in the 8th grade, around the same time I fell in love with jazz and the swing era dances.

Lets be friends!
Add me on myspace! ;)
http://www.myspace.com/melissaergo

Roquentin

New in Town
I suppose I should do this before I forget. I've been looking at threads on this forum for a little while now but only just registered. I come as someone mildly interested in past cultural trends, including those of the '30s, '40s, and '50s, although I don't limit myself to one epoch. I'm not very old and I was a kid during the swing revival of the 90s, but I remember the influence well. It seemed to creep into the most unlikely of things I saw or read as a child and I guess the "retro" and "noir" aesthetic managed to stick to some extent in my subconscious, although it's a different kind of interest these days. Nowadays I'm more interested in writers who made their mark in and around the time period, such as Dorothy Parker, Camus, Sartre, etc. I do listen to some jazz, but I'm much more enamoured with original Jamaican ska (none of that Aquabats nonsense) and more modern indie rock and post-punk.

And yes, I have been known to dress like my Scottish grandfather used to, in sweater vests and tweeds. I also clunk around in anachronistic Doc Martens, but then for that matter so did he once they started selling them in Britain.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Okay, so I've been here for a while, but a little slow with the posting till recently. Most things about 'those days' appeal to me, though I'm old and unfoolish enough to know they weren't all rosy. Still, simplicity, class, elegance, attention to detail, making an effort, etc. are things that make me smile.
I'd like it to be known I'm in no way suffering from a Norma Desmond syndrome (which I'd never considered until my lovely and delightful English pal visited and watched "Sunset Boulevard" with me, and subsequently began analyzing her own life and perspectives....)
While I live in the modern world with no sense of denial, I continue to appreciate the long lost dusty little things on a daily basis.
Cheers.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
I just realized I never officially introduced myself on this board, where i was supposed to. I just started posting away! :eusa_doh:

Anyway, my name is Ashley. I've been married almost 15 years :eek: and I'm 34 years old with three boys, ages 9, 5, and 1. I live out in , what some refer to as B.F.E, but which I prefer to call 'The Holler'. Or the 'Boonies', if you like. :D I'm on 20 acres in a little community between Knoxville and Nashville, Tennessee. Because I live so far from 'civilization', I learned everything I know about vintage style from the movies, books, and the internet. I am always learning and always practicing, when I have free time. My trials and errors began in earnest about three years ago, when I decided to stop following trends COMPLETELY and just focus on dressing how I like, gravitating principally to the 40's and 50's as well as Rockabilly Culture. Last year, I started a youtube channel and uploaded a couple of videos for styles I hadnt really seen there before. One was a 'soft waves' tutorial for fine hair and the other was a Victory Roll tutorial. I got lots of requests based on those vids and things kind of progressed from there. I love making my videos and using my *ahem* 'unauthorized' music to flesh them out! I am so proud that people seem to be learning something from them as well as gaining some confidence to dress and groom themselves like the sirens of the past, a look that is so flattering to all women!:eusa_clap I'm also happy that I've introduced some of my viewers to the music that has been such a huge part of my life and which deserves the recognition, from Big Band, to Americana, to Jump, to Rockabilly. So that's the story of that.

I'm here to learn from all of you. I am so impressed by your commitment to the eras you love and also your eagerness to hand out tips to your fellow vintage enthusiasts! Bravo, ladies!! Bravo...

Antje

One Too Many
LisaFreemontSt said:
I just realized I never officially introduced myself on this board, where i was supposed to. I just started posting away! :eusa_doh:

Anyway, my name is Ashley. I've been married almost 15 years :eek: and I'm 34 years old with three boys, ages 9, 5, and 1. I live out in , what some refer to as B.F.E, but which I prefer to call 'The Holler'. Or the 'Boonies', if you like. :D I'm on 20 acres in a little community between Knoxville and Nashville, Tennessee. Because I live so far from 'civilization', I learned everything I know about vintage style from the movies, books, and the internet. I am always learning and always practicing, when I have free time. My trials and errors began in earnest about three years ago, when I decided to stop following trends COMPLETELY and just focus on dressing how I like, gravitating principally to the 40's and 50's as well as Rockabilly Culture. Last year, I started a youtube channel and uploaded a couple of videos for styles I hadnt really seen there before. One was a 'soft waves' tutorial for fine hair and the other was a Victory Roll tutorial. I got lots of requests based on those vids and things kind of progressed from there. I love making my videos and using my *ahem* 'unauthorized' music to flesh them out! I am so proud that people seem to be learning something from them as well as gaining some confidence to dress and groom themselves like the sirens of the past, a look that is so flattering to all women!:eusa_clap I'm also happy that I've introduced some of my viewers to the music that has been such a huge part of my life and which deserves the recognition, from Big Band, to Americana, to Jump, to Rockabilly. So that's the story of that.

I'm here to learn from all of you. I am so impressed by your commitment to the eras you love and also your eagerness to hand out tips to your fellow vintage enthusiasts! Bravo, ladies!! Bravo...

Welcome Ashley, I've been a follower on your channel for a while now, and it is great, it's also nice that you can share your knowledge (did I spell this ok???????) over here.

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
Hello there

I'm a long time lurker (never could sign up before since all I had was a yahoo email account) I's so excited to finally be able to join!
I wanted to say THANK YOU:eusa_clap to the beautiful Ashley (LisaFreemontStreet) I have learned SO much from her youtube channel, namely everything I can do with my hair!!!!

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Bombshell Becca said:
I'm a long time lurker (never could sign up before since all I had was a yahoo email account) I's so excited to finally be able to join!
I wanted to say THANK YOU:eusa_clap to the beautiful Ashley (LisaFreemontStreet) I have learned SO much from her youtube channel, namely everything I can do with my hair!!!!

Thank YOU! How sweet of you!:)

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Hi!

Hi all...I've been lurking around here for the past few weeks, and FINALLY decided to join today. Any who, My name is Lindsey, and I'm 17(18 in a few weeks.). I found this site by looking up the Half moon(vintage.) manicure. I pretty much love every era of time from the Renaissance to the 1980s...My favorites, though, would have to be the 40's(Also, The whole Rockabilly/Pinup scene, I love.), 20s, and the Victorian Era Fashion and Hair wise. Hair is my passion, and I plan on becoming a Cosmetologist(Cos. School in November, HOPEfully.), and would love to specialize in Vintage Hairstyles/cuts.

So, That's 'nuff of my boring introduction, and just want to say Hi, and see you all around.

raven_retro

New in Town
Hello everyone! I'm Marie and I'm so glad I found this forum. I don't exactly have the full out vintage style, but I adore observing and incorporating bits of the past to my present. My hobbies mainly consist of sewing, knitting, general DIY, drawing, and graphic design.

I call two places home, Texas and a nice village situated in the outskirts of London. During the year I'm studying Fine Arts in London alongside my boyfriend who is a CGI artist. I'm hoping to get my degree and perhaps work in the industry and have galleries around town.

<-- There's a little picture of me as my avatar.

Cheers!

~RR

raven_retro

New in Town
Hello, I've posted in the PR, but I don't want to be a stranger.

I feel silly re-writing an introduction, so I'll keep it simple. I love art, history, fashion, and doggies! I've seen this forum mentioned on Youtube and I had to join. You guys have such a wonderful sense for the early days and it's quite refreshing to see.

Hope to see you lads and ladies around! :)

Mrs Bentley

New in Town
Hello everyone!

My name is Sara and I just outside of London in the UK. I've posted a few (literally) times in other areas of the Fedora Lounge and was about to post in here, before realising that I had never introduced myself and thought that I really should.

I'm particularly fond of fashion from the 1940's-1960's, since I've always thought that it fits my figure best (and actually complements it, rather than "fitting around/over it" like most modern clothes seem to), although I can very easily get distracted by fashion from any historical era prior to that. I'm extremely grateful to everyone here, because since I've been here, I've been really inspired to make things for myself that fit in with who I am, and it's done wonders for my self-confidence, so thank you.

My last project (a petticoat for a 1950s style dress that I made about a year ago) is very nearly complete, although I sneakily safety-pinned it to the right length so I could wear it to a party a few weeks ago (!). Impatience!

I'm also practising curling my hair more often, although I'm on a learning curve.

I hope everyone's well,

Sara

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Jennifer here! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Wow it seemed I was waiting forever for my account to be activated. Hello to fellow vintage enthusiasts from Brooklyn, NY. It lovely to be here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot