Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'New' Lock & Co. navy fedora

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Once in awhile I get lucky and this past Friday was one of those times when I grabbed this Lock fedora from the Classifieds. SteaminPete was a joy to deal with. I had the hat by Monday. And I know I got a steal on it.

Here's what it looked like when I got it (pics courtesy of Pete):

lock1oc7.jpg

Brim turned up, center dent, but no side dents. Pristine interior. Pete tells me he had stored the hat without wearing it. It looks like it was new from the shop.

I performed a feather-ectomy, snapped the brim and added some dents (a little water did the trick--spritzed, not soaked ;) ). Here's what it looks like now:

p1012043td7.jpg

p1012047qs4.jpg

p1012049ks2.jpg

This seems to be the Lock Chelsea model, although perhaps it's simply an earlier similar model. I don't know how long they've offered the same exact models, but I tend to think that Lock isn't the sort of place that churns their hat styles every season.

I've been wanting a navy fedora and one from the English companies (latent Anglophilia). This does a two in one. It is a little loose, but I put some thin strips of foam behind the sweatband on the sides, which seems to work fine. Maybe it will conform to my head over time.

I'll try some in-action pics soon.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Alan, Very impressive. Lock & Co. is a prestigious old company. As with others, their current product sometimes lives up to their reputation, and sometimes doesn't. It looks like you got one of the REALLY GOOD ones! Certainly better than my navy blue one; which has no liner (just a glued in label), is full of stiffener, and has shrunk a full size. It's a 58, and I wear a 57, but it is almost too snug. It also has a fair amount of taper, which I plan to correct.

P1040056.jpg

Oddly enough, this is my better Lock & Co.

P1040291.jpg

It is a bright red velour, but soft fur and a perfect fit. It may look wierd, but it feels great.

Now for the kicker. I would gladly trade both of them for the hat you are showing here. (By the way, did you check out the prices on their web site?)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you for the kind comments, everyone. RBH, I'll try to take a couple of pictures when the light is better this evening. It may be Sunday before I do an in-action shot.

J.T.Marcus said:
I would gladly trade both of them for the hat you are showing here. (By the way, did you check out the prices on their web site?)
You're too kind, J.T. And I did check out those prices :gulp:.

(I don't know that I've ever seen a bright red velour fedora!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats