Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Lost Worlds Offering: Speed Demon

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think the paneled back would never look good on an A-2, but for a style like this, I like it. A lot of the talk about a center seam was that it made the jacket less durable, or less quality, because it was made from two pieces of leather. I was on that train, until the makers recently started coming out with more paneled back models. If they believe it doesn't affect the quality of the jacket I'll believe it too. In this case it looks nice (just one man's opinion).

nick123

I'll Lock Up
In this case the separate pieces if leather give the back kind of a neat vibe, with the one piece of horsehide having a totally different grain than the other:
image.jpg

Agreed, for awhile it seemed that members felt the multi panel back was a cost cutting maneuver. I think that feeling is mellowing.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not too concerned about durability and quality. One example is the multi-panel Irvin. Having said that, I do know of another reason why the multi-panel is not favoured. It is easier and often cheaper to gather pieces of good leather than finding a large perfect one-piece.

Horizontally split back can look really good, but vertical back seam is something I strongly dislike.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In the case of Aero's Board Racer, it's part of the design to get a neater fit.

I'm not following how it would be a neater fit - surely a well cut one piece back would do the same job - just asking. :) Incidentally the two and three piece back is seen on many a classic jacket from vintage Bates to current Vanson B's. I always understood it was to make the most out of limited supplies of leather. Personally if it has to be done I prefer it to have a yolk up top.

Like this vintage Harley.

Harely Davidson 1960-70's2.JPG

Last edited:

Azog

Familiar Face
I quite like the line down the centre of the back. It follows a natural line of the human body, being the spine.
I saw a doco on ancient classical Greek and Roman sculptures and they were talking about how the sculptors of the time would exaggerate the line going down the centre of the back and the line going down the centre of the chest. It was/is considered a pleasing aesthetic and increased the impression of strength.
Maybe it is a bit of a stretch to relate this back to jackets but I can see it that way.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Loving the looks of this Lost Worlds Speed Demon. My LW Buco Rider is bomb proof, expect this to be the same. I foolishly sold an older Schott 118 that fit me well, and bought another one recently that somehow isn't fitting me as well ... very tempted with this LW, or maybe I should go for the Aero J107 or J106 as per my original plans ...

Edward

Bartender
I don't imagine the split back will have any negative impact on the quality of this jacket at all. Just interesting to see, given than in this style it's a common feature of the cheaper jackets from which Stu seeks to differentiate himself.

Quite funny that he lauds the invented Brando character in Rebel (invented by a highly cynical Hollywood studio system, no less) over the punks, who were actual people doing real things - at least at the beginning. Oh, well...

Quite. I suspect it's a calculated dig at Schott, though; when Iggy, Joey Ramone et al weren't wearing Lewis, they went for Schott (increasingly as time went on a Schott became the Ramones' uniform). I imagine a lot of the digs at fashion / inferior / "unmanly" jackets on Stu's site are aimed squarely at his NYC rivals.

'Awful knockoffs' which look exactly like this Speed Demon jacket, all the way to the belt buckle. I'm sure 156 oz is beyond cool and very manly, but no thank you. For this design, I'm sticking with Schott.

The buckle does look surprisingly flimsy. I do like the jacket, myself, but I find it hard to justify the really big money in this style given how many alternatives are available at lower prices.

I am not too concerned about durability and quality. One example is the multi-panel Irvin. Having said that, I do know of another reason why the multi-panel is not favoured. It is easier and often cheaper to gather pieces of good leather than finding a large perfect one-piece.

I rather suspect that's why it's still viewed as a "cheap" thing in this jacket. Any feature that gets associated with cheap, rubbish jackets on the market can become perceived as indicative or even integral to the lack of quality, even where this is not so. It's the Fender three-bolt neck all over again.

I imagine a lot of the digs at fashion / inferior / "unmanly" jackets on Stu's site are aimed squarely at his NYC rivals.

True, and it's exactly the thing I find so revolting about Lost Worlds. It's all bollocks. You can still find 50 years old Schotts that are holding up like they could last just as long, in the least so taking shots at... the competition is just uncalled for. It's low. Real low.
Recreating what? The Perfecto? Why? What's so extreme about this Speed Demon jacket that Schott - or any other Made in Vietnam/Pakistan/India cheapo - didn't already add to the design?
It may appear that Schott is being more fashion-y right now, and rightfully so if it's gonna bring them more business, but there's no denying that for their classic MC line, they make top quality leather jackets, unsurpassed by none - despite what Stu, or anyone else for that matter, claims.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Here's a split back and top yolk on an Aero Board Racer sold by Insurrection - these jacket come with a range of variations, from differing collars to backs.

Aero Board Racer Italian Back.JPG

Damo

A-List Customer
I really like the looks of the jacket. I'm hoping to buy a jacket of this style next year and just like 2wheelgrplr I'm really liking the speed demon/j106/j107.. Way too many choices out there!!!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I really like the looks of the jacket. I'm hoping to buy a jacket of this style next year and just like 2wheelgrplr I'm really liking the speed demon/j106/j107.. Way too many choices out there!!!

And then there's always the Aero Elvis/Daytona/Indian Ranger jackets, waiting to be brought out into the limelight! I bet those would be just as cool, but there isn't a track record of reviews with those. No one wants to be the guinea pig!

Peacoat

Bartender
There's pics on the VLJ of a new LW Speed Demon without the back center seam. Looks much better to me.
HD

Agreed. And Watchman deleted some of the busy features of the jacket as well. It has a much cleaner presentation. I like this one much better than the original that Lost Worlds is offering.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
There's pics on the VLJ of a new LW Speed Demon without the back center seam. Looks much better to me.
HD

Agreed. And Watchman deleted some of the busy features of the jacket as well. It has a much cleaner presentation. I like this one much better than the original that Lost Worlds is offering.

Really want to check out this version of the LW Speed Demon. Looks like Ill have to try & register on the VLJ Forum after all ... unless someone can post pics here :D ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko