Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Good afternoon! Interesting forum you folks have here!

I've been losing weight (60+ lbs over the past year so far) and have started wearing hats again as my face has become less ... circular. :)

Interestingly I found this site just as I decided to buy a summer weight/straw hat and it helped me settle on one ... but wandering through Delmonico's last weekend led to me walking out with two new hats, not just the one. My current collection in order of acquisition ...

IMG_20180523_170929.jpg - a Hanna linen Irish cap from the 1990's.

IMG_20180523_171017.jpg - a Stetson/L.L.Bean Moose River from 2010.

IMG_20180524_163505.jpg - a Hanna wool Irish cap received from an elderly friends children after he passed away at 93yo. I'd always liked it and they gave it to me to remember him. There are pictures of him wearing it, or one just like it, from the 1980's.

IMG_20180523_170857.jpg - a Stetson Stratoliner Special Edition Hemp. This is the one I went to New Haven to buy this past weekend. I'm glad I did because I measured my head at 60.5cm & the gentleman who helped me measured 60cm. Yet after trying on several hats, I ended up with a 7 3/8 (or 59cm) fitting the best! I'd have had to return it at least once if I had stuck with the mail order plan.

IMG_20180523_170836.jpg & IMG_20180523_170818.jpg - this was the unplanned purchase. As I wandered the store I kept finding myself drawn to this hat. I ended up with a size 58 and it's a Mayser Imperia Panama. Apparently DelMonico only started carrying the brand earlier this year. With the open ventilation, I'm pretty sure this is going to be my favorite hat this summer as it gets hotter and more humid!

It's nice to meet you all and I'm looking forward to learning much more before i start shopping for a new winter hat this fall. :)

pat----
Pat welcome to the Fedora Lounge. It looks like you’ve got a great start to your hat collection with pictures you’ve posted.
Steven

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Hello everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself to the board. It's really awesome to see so many aficianado's of hats. For the longest time, I've wanted a Stetson and just recently bought my first Stetson Open Road straw hat. I can't believe how many compliments I've gotten by me just casually just wearing it out and about. Needless to say I'm hooked. I've already ordered a Open Road Deluxe for the fall. I look forward to learning and seeing everyone's hats!

View attachment 121103
Welcome and I must say you wear that Open Road nicely.
Steven

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
Finally getting around to posting here, to introduce myself.

Call me Rick. That works well, since it is my name.

I couldn’t wear hats much in my youth due to scalp issues. But whatever it was is no longer an issue, so I’ve been into hats for a while now.

Currently have the following hats:

Biltmore- 5 fur felts (2 more on the way), one Panama, two straw fedoras, one wide weave straw western.

Bailey - “Breed” wool felt porkpie, “Tino” wool felt fedora x 2, “Curtis” wool felt fedora

Homero Ortega - Panama (dark two tone)

Kangol - 2 wool felt “Linotype“ pork pie, straw fedora, wool 504 and lots of other flat caps.

Stacy Adams - braided fedora

Bronner - Wool felt fedora

Borsalino - two caps with alpaca and wool.

Hats in the Belfry - Panama

Tilly - got one of these too.

Ben Sherman - 3 nice stingy brim Trilbies. Not really my style, so giving away to friends probably.

And a host of Nike, slazenger and other nylon type caps, plus some ball caps. And some more ivy caps I’ve picked up over the years.

No newsboys, or similar panel caps with a button. Don’t care for them.

I think I got them all listed. If not I can always edit or do a new post.

Other interests include Swiss automatic wrist watches, saxophones and guitars. Note that the “Swiss” refers only to the watches.

In buying hats, or anything, getting a good deal (“We don’t pay retail” — my mom) is part of the fun of the hunt. It somehow adds to the pride of ownership when you get an awesome hat at a smoking good price. Or maybe that’s just me (and my mom) . . . .

Glad to be here among other hat aficionados.

Edit: I should add that though I like getting and wearing hats and caps, and know a little about Biltmore and some other commercial brands, I am still a relative newbie on most things hat related. I expect to be asking a number of questions as time goes on, and appreciate all advice and information from the (many) more knowledgable folks.

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
In buying hats, or anything, getting a good deal (“We don’t pay retail” — my mom) is part of the fun of the hunt. It somehow adds to the pride of ownership when you get an awesome hat at a smoking good price. Or maybe that’s just me (and my mom) . . . .

Yes indeed, getting a bargain on a nice item always makes me feel like I'm able to justify the purchase to myself. It only works sometimes when trying to justify my purchase to my wife... ;)

Welcome, glad you're here!
Regan

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
Yes indeed, getting a bargain on a nice item always makes me feel like I'm able to justify the purchase to myself. It only works sometimes when trying to justify my purchase to my wife... ;)

Welcome, glad you're here!
Regan

Thanks Regan.

Justification of purchase to another is always a tricky thing. Some folk just don't disclose and sneak it in, hoping it will get lost in the pack. Others try the "Oh no, this is an old one that I haven't been wearing for a while" approach. Yet others will point out that they have just sold another one, so it's OK.

I have tried all three. Depending on the situation, they work to varying degrees. YMMV.

All the best,
Rick

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thanks Regan.

Justification of purchase to another is always a tricky thing. Some folk just don't disclose and sneak it in, hoping it will get lost in the pack. Others try the "Oh no, this is an old one that I haven't been wearing for a while" approach. Yet others will point out that they have just sold another one, so it's OK.

I have tried all three. Depending on the situation, they work to varying degrees. YMMV.

All the best,
Rick

Understood! I have worn brimmed hats all my life as I’ve always worked outside, but have never gotten into collecting vintage hats (not many of those around to fit my big punkin anyway!). So my wife is fine with the recent few purchases I’ve made, which have all been reasonably priced current production models.

Now my guns... well, guns are a different story!

Finally getting around to posting here, to introduce myself.

Call me Rick. That works well, since it is my name.

Glad to be here among other hat aficionados.

Edit: I should add that though I like getting and wearing hats and caps, and know a little about Biltmore and some other commercial brands, I am still a relative newbie on most things hat related. I expect to be asking a number of questions as time goes on, and appreciate all advice and information from the (many) more knowledgable folks.

Welcome to the Lounge. There is a treasure trove of information on here. Most of us spend the first few months or so devouring many of the old threads listed in the "Important Hat Forum" thread. There used to be "sticky" threads at the top of the Forum, but the new version of the FL seems to have eliminated those.

Understood! I have worn brimmed hats all my life as I’ve always worked outside, but have never gotten into collecting vintage hats (not many of those around to fit my big punkin anyway!). So my wife is fine with the recent few purchases I’ve made, which have all been reasonably priced current production models.

Now my guns... well, guns are a different story!

This made me smile. Over the last several years I’ve sold off most of my guns that didn’t have sentimental connections or that I didn’t use regularly. I’m embarrassed at how many I accumulated over the years and how much money I had tied up in them. My good wife never said much, but I can tell she prefers hats. I remember finding guns I forgot about and hadn’t seen in 20 years. Hats get used, even if some of them aren’t called on very often.

I’m also a member of the big head club (7 5/8 - 7 3/4). We do a decent job of pointing each other to vintage hats...what’s your size?

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodtroll

One Too Many
This made me smile. Over the last several years I’ve sold off most of my guns that didn’t have sentimental connections or that I didn’t use regularly. I’m embarrassed at how many I accumulated over the years and how much money I had tied up in them. My good wife never said much, but I can tell she prefers hats. I remember finding guns I forgot about and hadn’t seen in 20 years. Hats get used, even if some of them aren’t called on very often.

I’m also a member of the big head club (7 5/8 - 7 3/4). We do a decent job of pointing each other to vintage hats...what’s your size?

Brent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have more guns than I'll ever shoot regularly, and have begun the same process as you have. As Rick/Nvilletele pointed out about his family, the hunt was part of the fun and I seldom paid full price and lucked into some really good deals, so some I bought with an eye towards a retirement fund as much as anything else - one that interests me much more than stocks or bonds! I have a few that I'll never part with and will pass down, a few that I will keep just because they're unique, but many I own just because I like them without having a special attachment or need for them, and would sell at any time for the right price.

As far as hats, I'm a 24" to 24-1/8", which puts me between 7-5/8 and 7-3/4. I like a taller crown and wider brim than average to keep the proportions right due to the big diameter, so even if there was a vintage Dobbs, say, in 7-3/4 the normal brim ends up looking like a stingy brim on a teacup on my head. So far I've bought a couple of Akubras in size 62, had Miss Esther Weis make me a dress hat that turned out great, and am working with Rick at Phoenix on an outdoors hat. I really enjoy looking at everyone's hats and vintage gear on here, but hope not to get bitten so hard that I fall back into the gun collecting mentality where I end up with hats I really don't use.

nvilletele

One of the Regulars
<snip>
I really enjoy looking at everyone's hats and vintage gear on here, but hope not to get bitten so hard that I fall back into the gun collecting mentality where I end up with hats I really don't use.

When I find myself not wearing certain hats, I tend to give them away to friends.
My sax teacher now has 3 or so, and will offer him another today. Too bad he doesn’t accept them as payment . . . . But goodwill is also good to accumulate.

Not so sure that this approach works as well re firearms, but most folks are happy to receive an unexpected nice hat as a gift, so long as it fits.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
When I find myself not wearing certain hats, I tend to give them away to friends.
My sax teacher now has 3 or so, and will offer him another today. Too bad he doesn’t accept them as payment . . . . But goodwill is also good to accumulate.

Not so sure that this approach works as well re firearms, but most folks are happy to receive an unexpected nice hat as a gift, so long as it fits.

That's really a nice gesture and a good way to thin out unused items; I'm sure the recipients appreciate the sentiment as much as the hat!

rjfurlan

New in Town
Hi, my name is Rich and I recently got into hat. This fourm has been very helpful, thank you.

I have two Akubra Stylemasters and a cheap wool foldable. Here is a picture of my new Bluegrass Green Stylemaster. I love it.

image.jpeg

ossmannm

New in Town
Hi everyone,

my name is Michael, I'm 30 years and I live in Germany, near Cologne.
In general I'm into all things vintage, focusing on the 30s - 50s era, e.g. suits, sport jackets, trousers, hats, accessories, furnioture and music.
As I am small on budget I own some does40s/50s items. Hopefully this is not something unwanted in the forum. If so, please let me know. :)
I hope you ladies and gents can assist, guide or maybe equip me with your knowledge and expirience. And I also wouldn't refuse any fair deals of goods by the way. ;)

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone,

my name is Michael, I'm 30 years and I live in Germany, near Cologne.
In general I'm into all things vintage, focusing on the 30s - 50s era, e.g. suits, sport jackets, trousers, hats, accessories, furnioture and music.
As I am small on budget I own some does40s/50s items. Hopefully this is not something unwanted in the forum. If so, please let me know. :)
I hope you ladies and gents can assist, guide or maybe equip me with your knowledge and expirience. And I also wouldn't refuse any fair deals of goods by the way. ;)

Hello ossmannm, welcome here.
Hope you find what you looking for.
I am from Germany too. From Remscheid.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21