New Member to the Hat Forum

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Hats Matter, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Welcome to the Lounge. Thirty hats is a good start.

However, if you're not crazy, it may be best to just keep moving...

hatsRme and deadlyhandsome like this.
  2. Gobi

Gobi Familiar Face

Hi, I'm an old member rejoining. My last post from my old account was from 2015. I couldn't remember my account info so I started a new one. I think I quit coming here when the site was changed over to a new server and it wouldn't work right on my phone so I gave up.
    I'm 35. Long time felt hat lover. I mostly enjoy larger brim hats. You guys got me hooked on Akubra hats years ago so I've accumulated quite a few but I also have a lot of older stetson and resistol hats. I wear my hats pretty hard and they get beat up so I tend to wear a beater hat daily and wear the nicer ones or smaller brimmed hats when I want to look nice.
    I'm happy to be back.

GLewis, Just A Hat Rack and Boomerang like this.
  3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Welcome back.

4. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson New in Town

New member from Wisconsin. Nice to be here.

5. MichaelRhB

MichaelRhB New in Town

I'm Michael. I wanted to introduce myself but did not find a New Member's forum so I am just posting here in the hat section.

I like German hunting attire and Alpen Trachten clothing and wear a lot of it in the cooler months of the year. Most is from Germany or Austria, but I do buy from some American importers from those countries as well.

German hiking boots and Air Force issue coats & jackets is another obsession of mine. So much clothing, so little money!

I have few proper hats or fedoras, but I do have a couple of German Alpen hats and one proper grey fedora by Jaxon. Not high-end, but it looks good.

Thanks for having me.

6. MichaelRhB

MichaelRhB New in Town

I didn't see this thread before my introduction thread I made.

I'm Michael. Glad to be here. Nice place you have.

7. Welcome! We have some German hat experts here who could give graduate level courses. Word of advice: stay away from the leather jacket crowd in the outerwear forums. ;)

8. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thar be dragons in them waters!

9. KSCOM4

KSCOM4 New in Town

Welcome sir!

MichaelRhB likes this.
  10. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

Welcome. There are some fine German fedoras out there for you...

MichaelRhB likes this.
  11. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

12. MichaelRhB

MichaelRhB New in Town

Thank you for the link. It will take weeks to visit all of those site, but I did find a manufacturer with a hat that I really like. Pretty good prices too.

13. Scrambler

Scrambler New in Town

Hello, I have been lurking for a couple of years. Figured I would join the conversation.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  14. Retread

Retread New in Town

I am learning that hats matter.
    I have been interested in hats for decades, but have only wet my toes. Hats used to be very different, required to be really dressed, but still not ordinary. Now they are not not nearly as mandatory, so they are more extra ordinary.
    I like simple special things. I have an Opinel pocket knife that can shave a layer from a sheet of paper.
    I also love my Leatherman.
    It isn't perfect for anything.
    What is perfect about it is that it is "pretty good" at enough things that it I feel unprepared for the day without it.
    I also like fountain pens.
    Because...
    Because they take work.
    Because they are extra ordinary.

I have two real hats currently; depending on your definition of real.
    One is mostly utilitarian, a Henschel Safari hat. I bought it this spring because I started shaving my scalp. It serves my need for sun and bug defense and has just a bit of style.

I wanted a more traditional fedora. I confess to liking "Indiana" hats but I would never wear a hat branded as such no matter the quality.
    Today 08/20/2020 I received a black wool felt St Martin Short brim safari hat. To me it looks like a fedora.

I am struggling to figure out what exactly I like.
    I know I despise some things people love. Some things I think I like at first seem less appealing after turning them over in my mind.
    "Good wine is any wine you like to drink."
    If I get a good enough hat, brush up on my German, get a bit more into Russian, and keep after Italian, I might be able to pull of the international man of mystery image...
    ...Nah. Spies are tall and handsome.
    I want to avoid buyer's remorse.
    I also want to avoid paying for a hat twice. I once bought a set of job interview clothes.
    I paid for them twice; first at the register, then later when my wife saw how much I paid.

15. Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay. Keep watching the hat threads, particularly the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread and you’ll see lots of style and proportions. It’s a great way to see what hats look like on real people. My tastes have changed over time, but I still chose my wife over hats...mine has learned to coexist with my hats.

Frunobulax and belfastboy like this.
  16. Retread

Retread New in Town

Thanks so much!

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  17. Boomerang

Boomerang One of the Regulars

I heartily endorse Brent's advice about looking at lots of pictures of hats, and how they sit on a person's head. My tastes have changed too, and time spent on this site probably has something to do with that. I've found that I'm drawn to, and most comfortable in, hats that I wasn't even considering two years ago.

Rmccamey and deadlyhandsome like this.
  18. Retread

Retread New in Town

Regarding keeping my wife from $ shock. I had to go out again a few years later for another round of "You've been outsourced," attire. This time I went to a different men's clothing store at her insistence because that other place charged me too much to "like the way I look". "They saw you coming," she said.
    I suggested she go with me so I didn't waste money. She approved of that idea strongly.
    She fretted at me getting dressed in jacket, tie and slacks to go buy clothes. It was obviously unnecessary, jeans should be fine.
    Wife: "You go shop, you see what you like, you pay for it, you leave. If you need to, you try it on. Simple."
    Me: "Okay, but I want to see what goes with this. And I want to take my dozens of old ties to see what's worth keeping and what should be thrown out. "
    She liked the idea of taking the ties because she wanted most of them thrown out.
    - - - -
    In the end:
    We did get rid of a lot of ties.
    And, we bought NEW ties.
    Somehow my wife decided that I needed a couple of French cuff shirts and a couple of pairs of cufflinks. (I work in tech, that isn't job interview attire.)
    I had wanted to get a pair of shoes. My wife had been against that because of the cost.
    She won. We bought TWO pairs that she decided on.
    It was going to be three, but one of them was unavailable in my size.
    We spent significantly more money than I would have alone, significantly more than I did previously, with no lecture for me.
    She showed me!
    I have not let her live that down.
    ##### #####
    "When you have a choice, spend money where you would prefer to work if you had NO choice."

Just Daniel and Boomerang like this.
  19. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

My God, man, where did you find her? In my experience, this is the exact opposite of how women shop. My wife, for instance, when looking for an article of clothing, will look at, and touch, every one on the rack, including ones not her size (I think this is how they mark their territory).

20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, this has been my experience as well. The learning, the evolution of my hat life has been so much fun.

Boomerang and deadlyhandsome like this.