New Member to the Hat Forum

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Hats Matter, Sep 8, 2016.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

All hatters are a 'little' bit mad!

2. tamz0r

tamz0r New in Town

i enjoy this genre of music and would be interested in hearing some of your stuff!

Olive Drab Jacket likes this.
  3. Olive Drab Jacket

Olive Drab Jacket New in Town

With pleasure, but I'm afraid the lyrics will remain a mystery, since they are all in Russian.

But this one you know for sure:

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Love the music but I had a hard time singing along with you!

Rmccamey and Olive Drab Jacket like this.
  5. A.C

A.C New in Town

Great music always love the sound of a banjo thank you for sharing

6. Olive Drab Jacket

in fact, 10-15 years ago, many Russian bands tried to sing in English, but in Russia, unlike in Western Europe, this does not work. Our culture is too much... I dunno how to say... lyrically-oriented?

A.C and deadlyhandsome like this.
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

How difficult to translate to Russian and keep the right cadence/rhythm for the English song?

8. Olive Drab Jacket

Well it takes work, Russian is a little more cumbersome, but it offers a huge number of options, you will always find a way. Most of the Russian poets were engaged in translations of the English and American classics, and it became the classics of Russian literature. For example, Marshak has excellent translations of English poetry. And recently there was a book of translations of Bob Dylan's songs. One of my friends, a singer from St. Petersburg, did a couple of great translations.

9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I love many Russian authors...Tolstoy is my all time favourite. My wife's family is from Ukraine. She attempted to learn recently as we plan to visit when this pandemic is over but she gave up!

10. Olive Drab Jacket

I think Tolstoy is much better read in English translation. In the context of the Russian language, he`s awfull. By the way, just the other day I watched "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles", and there was Count Tolstoy, with whom the young Indy traded the Bible for baseball cards. Very delusional, but very funny. As for the Canadian Ukrainians, Keith Tkachuk immediately comes to mind. As far as I know are many people of Ukrainian origin in Canada.

hatsRme, A.C and belfastboy like this.
  11. StoryPNW

StoryPNW New in Town

Just joined the forum, been a hat wearer for a long time. I Bought a poly mesh summer hat and a wool fedora a while back, I really like the style and wanted to buy something that was a little nicer quality. I have been reading on the forum for a while and decided to finally join. I have bought 2 Akubras in the last year. Stylemaster in carbon gray and Stockman in Fawn. 20210909_185133.jpg 20210829_191055.jpg

12. Welcome to The Lounge!
    You started off with two great Akubras. No matter what hats you might add in the future those two will always have a place on the rotation.

StoryPNW likes this.
  13. StoryPNW

StoryPNW New in Town

Thank you, I really like them. When do most people wear their fedoras, like the Stylemaster? I think it looks good with pretty much everything :) but sometimes feel like it looks a little too nice for casual wear.

deadlyhandsome likes this.

14. I used to feel like that, but after seeing fedoras worn casually, and then wearing them myself that way, I quickly lost that way of thinking. I used to have trouble seeing the more formal homburg worn casually too, but I’ve grown to appreciate that also. The heat is the only thing that keeps me out of felt. The Stylemaster is a trim and modest fedora that is easy to dress up or down: wear it with anything at any time.

belfastboy and StoryPNW like this.
  15. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Welcome to the party, pal. That's not a bad starter kit there.

Poke around the Lounge a bit. You'll see fedoras worn with pretty much everything. This goes for not only us current hat aficionados, but historically, as well. They're as functional as fashionable, so always appropriate.

16. GreyBard

GreyBard New in Town

Hey, guys n gals…new to the forums, been a lurker since around January. I started wearing hats around then. I got bit by the big big time. I bought two straws and four felts since. I’m looking to buy my first custom beaver felt for a Christmas present to myself, here is a a few of my other favorite things in life!

Attached Files:

17. Welcome! The more the merrier! I hope you can share photos of your hats.

Just a trick of this place: if you crop your photos any amount on any side they will post right-side-up. You should also select full-size when you post photos so we can better admire your hats.

Just FYI: you’re cutting it close if you want a custom hat in time for Christmas. Which hatter(s) are you considering?

18. GreyBard

GreyBard New in Town

Thanks for the info, I was wondering why it did that. I will post some more of my hats soon! It’s about time to take out the felts, still a little hot and humid for my personal comfort, I’m hot natured and live in the south. Yes, my custom will probably be a mid to late January present truly. After a bout of covid and some other set backs on my finances I have to wait a bit. I am planning on getting my first custom from hornskov, I really love his rebel model and I want to tweak it just a bit for my satisfaction. Currently, I have a Biltmore Wright (Pork Pie), a Stetson Morgan (diamond, stingy brim fedora), the JJHats Madrid (wide brim fedora) and a baileys wool derby. The straw in the pic is also a Baileys and the other straw I own is a Stetson as well. I love the hat life.

Frunobulax, Rmccamey and StoryPNW like this.
  19. DaveProc

DaveProc My Mail is Forwarded Here

Welcome to the Lounge!!

20. DaveProc

DaveProc My Mail is Forwarded Here

Welcome back!