Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge!

Information on the site can be very disorganized. Use the search site option in google to search the forum for whatever you are looking for to start.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=es-419&gbv=2&q=site%3Athefedoralounge.com&oq=site%3Athefedoralounge.com

Hi Everyone,
I'm here because I'm hoping to get some help/ideas on a hat related topic, so I've signed up and hopefully I'll get some help! Just thought I'd do a quick introduction first :)

dmsantam

New in Town
Hello, I've been lurking here for months getting ideas and learning a bunch. I have 4 Akubras. Angler for general use, hiking and yard work, Sombrero with a flat brim for sunny and rainy days, Fed IV for casual use and a Campdraft for more formal occasions. Love the Akubras, and am lucky enough to live not too far from the Hattery in Katoomba so can buy in person without guessing on sizes.

My wife has also joined the addiction and now has a Black Traveller, sorrel Blue Mountains, and a sand Riverina on the way.

Attachments

• PXL_20220312_013843588.jpg
    PXL_20220312_013843588.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20220420_081759047.jpg
    PXL_20220420_081759047.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 109
  • PXL_20220914_230847539 (1).jpg
    PXL_20220914_230847539 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 102
  • PXL_20220914_072652081.jpg
    PXL_20220914_072652081.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 111

biffnix

New in Town
Hello all. I've purchased my first Stetson, a pure Stratoliner, in tobacco. I ordered it online from Del Monico Hatters in Connecticut, and it arrived here in California in six days. It arrived in good order, and came in a nice box for storage.

The fit is ever-so-slightly large (7 1/2) on my head, but an insert said that they can provide resizing tape, so I sent off an email, and left a voicemail on their phone asking for some. We'll see how that goes, I guess.

I did notice the color has a slight greenish tint in bright light, which I wasn't expecting. I think I'll get used to it.

I'll be traveling abroad in the Spring (to Japan), so I was looking for something just slightly more formal, yet still casual enough for traveling. I think the Stratoliner hits that look spot on.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello, and hope to learn more about hats as I continue lurking in the forums.

Cheers, from Bishop, California.

IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg

DiamondJimLA

New in Town
biffnix - Welcome. Nice hat, fits you well.

FYI, I bought a Stetson Pure Open Road from Delmonico, and it too was a bit large for me, although my four other Stetson's fit spot on. You would think the Pure line would fit perfectly considering it is near top of the line, so surprising we both had issues. Delmonico sent me some resizing tape, though I wish it wasn't needed. Of course, I don't blame Delmonico at all, and have found them to be an excellent retailer.

Enjoy Japan! I've been there about 16 times and love the country.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Hello all. I've purchased my first Stetson, a pure Stratoliner, in tobacco. I ordered it online from Del Monico Hatters in Connecticut, and it arrived here in California in six days. It arrived in good order, and came in a nice box for storage.

The fit is ever-so-slightly large (7 1/2) on my head, but an insert said that they can provide resizing tape, so I sent off an email, and left a voicemail on their phone asking for some. We'll see how that goes, I guess.

I did notice the color has a slight greenish tint in bright light, which I wasn't expecting. I think I'll get used to it.

I'll be traveling abroad in the Spring (to Japan), so I was looking for something just slightly more formal, yet still casual enough for traveling. I think the Stratoliner hits that look spot on.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello, and hope to learn more about hats as I continue lurking in the forums.

View attachment 461459 View attachment 461458
Nice—strats and strats! They are great travel hats. Welcome to the lounge.

David

Snowman

Practically Family

Welcome! A strat is always a good choice, IMO.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Very nice all-around hat. Welcome to the Lounge.

StoryPNW

Practically Family

Congrats on your Strat purchase, great hat and it looks very natural on you.

Welcome to the lounge.

Welcome! I see the guitars in the background and there are a lot of musicians here.

I love the eastern Sierras. I would have taken a job in Bridgeport years ago if my wife would have gone along with it.

Norm DePlume

New in Town

Welcome! I don't have any Stratocasters (I'm a Les Paul guy), but I do have a Stratoliner and a Bach Strad trumpet. Anyway, nice hat...better than my black Premier Strat, which I like a lot.

biffnix

New in Town
Welcome! I don't have any Stratocasters (I'm a Les Paul guy), but I do have a Stratoliner and a Bach Strad trumpet. Anyway, nice hat...better than my black Premier Strat, which I like a lot.
Heh. I've never been much of a Gibson guy, myself. Not that they're not great guitars - they certainly are. Just not my playing style, I suppose. C'est la vie.

biffnix

New in Town
Congrats on your Strat purchase, great hat and it looks very natural on you.

Welcome to the lounge.
Thank you so much, that's very kind to say. I must admit I was nervous purchasing it, as I live in a very rural town, and there are no hat stores anywhere within several hours' drive. I do own a really cheap "Nature Company" wool fedora which I liked the look of, so I was trying to find a better version of that. I read up both here, on Reddit, and watched a bunch of YouTube videos on the Stratoliner before I was convinced. I'm glad I got it, though. It's very light, and super comfortable on the head.

biffnix

New in Town
biffnix - Welcome. Nice hat, fits you well.

FYI, I bought a Stetson Pure Open Road from Delmonico, and it too was a bit large for me, although my four other Stetson's fit spot on. You would think the Pure line would fit perfectly considering it is near top of the line, so surprising we both had issues. Delmonico sent me some resizing tape, though I wish it wasn't needed. Of course, I don't blame Delmonico at all, and have found them to be an excellent retailer.

Enjoy Japan! I've been there about 16 times and love the country.
I knew it was a risk, since I live in a very small, very rural town, and there really isn't any place within a day's drive that I can try on a quality hat. But, it's not really that loose - just enough to worry about a strong gust. For now, I'm using two microfiber cloths that came with eyeglasses; I rolled them up, and put them between the hat band and crown, and it's snugged up quite nicely.

I know I probably don't look particularly Asian, but my mother is Japanese, and I spent several years living in Japan when I was a boy. My daughter is currently teaching English via the JET Programme in Southern Japan, so my wife and I have made plans to visit her next March. I'm really looking forward to it I haven't been there since 1990, so it'll be interesting to see what's changed, and what's stayed the same...

Cheers.

Granville

One of the Regulars
The fit is ever-so-slightly large (7 1/2) on my head,
Hi, and welcome. I joined less than a year ago and (a dozen hats later -- including two caps) have found tons of good advice and fun here. For adding the foam 'sizing tape' check out this video:
Kevin at JJ Hat Center (in the heart of midtown manhattan) makes cool, fun, and informative vids about all things hat. During the lockdowns he made some from home where he also picks up a guitar and noodles around, so you'll dig that, too. Aside from the good advice (helped me to stretch a tight hat by watching his video -- different technique than a lot of others and it worked for me) I love his accent. I have a cousin who grew up in the city and they have the same accent -- a real old-timey New York timbre. Hear that and know you're listening to a native Manhattanite.

Welcome. Strat does look nice on you. As I’m sure will other styles that may strike your fancy hanging around here for long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana