Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pkyoakum

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Norm DePlume,

You have a great way to expressing yourself. I have learned so much the past two months, read many posts at Fedora Lounge, learned about sizing, quality, etc. Lots of mistakes, hits and misses. I am learning what I like and dislike. Welcome to the club. It is a bit addicting--LOL.

dragfree

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome, gents. The best thing about ball caps is that a dozen can be stored in the same space required for just one fedora. And they're essential when exercising -- less dorky than a headband for soaking up sweat and not nearly as weird as wearing a fedora while running!

Love my carbon Stylemaster- great hat !
Samson -- the new carbon Stylemaster arrived from Oregon in just a couple of days and it's already a fave. Looks good and the fit is darned near perfect right out of the box. (Note -- the new Campdraft is tightening up nicely as Fruno predicted.)

stylemaster.jpg

BTW, Stetson notified me on Friday that they had a 7 3/8 True Blue Open Road Pure in stock. I jumped on it right away. Apparently fellow newbie Norm dePlume isn't the only one here who lives by the principle that "If one is good, two are better ... and 36 make a good start!" I hope that makes enough new felt toppers to satisfy my itch for now. After all, straw season is coming soon!

Cheers, y'all ... and God bless you AND your hats!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I spent a couple hours sitting on the couch next to my wife while she was reading. I was wearing my SunBody Tall Gus (6 1/2” crown and 5” brim) and she never even mentioned my hat. I think I’ve worn her down. :)
Addendum:
“as she was reading...on her iphone. I tilted my 5” brim to shield my eyes and stealthily peered down at her shopping cart. Alas, she has worn me down”.
B

Norm DePlume

New in Town
Since my initial post, I've acquired two more hats, both Akubra: a Banjo Paterson and a Stylemaster. Again, I don't have much to compare them to, but the build quality seems outstanding. The Stylemaster I got from a regular participant here via ebay. The Banjo was a sudden ebay impulse without much forethought, but I'm pretty happy about it. I really like both of them at first impression. The Banjo crown is pretty low and my head was bumping up against the top. So I took a cue from an old thread here and did a bit of customizing. I steamed the hell out of the crown, and then as soon as it was cool enough not to scald my tender bald scalp, I crammed it onto my head pretty firmly. A few minutes later, voila, it now has a little bubble perfectly contoured to my skull.

Now I really have to pause the buying for a while. My wife has already started to mock me. When I was obsessed with shoes a couple years ago, she would call me Imelda. She hasn't figured out a snappy insult for the hat fever yet, but it's just a matter of time.

Aahzz

New in Town
I suppose I should have introduced myself here first - sorry! Apparently I signed up here in 2011, but never posted

Hi, I'm Aahzz. I've been a fan of hats since my teens, if not before. Got my first Fedora in my early teens - wish I knew what it was besides a Fedora, but I didn't pay that much attention at the time. I wore Fedoras for many years, along with a fair number of ball caps, had a few of the Barmah leather Australian hats, some more Fedoras. I have generally stuck with wool, not being willing to spend the cash to treat myself to a nicer hat. I did get a fur felt Fedora around the time I joined here a decade ago, so I'm sure that's what I was researching. It's nothing fancy, Scala Classico, but I liked it. It now badly needs to be cleaned and blocked, which I want to learn to do myself - one of the reasons I'm here.

If you've seen my posts in other threads, I became a convert to the Derby about 5 years ago. I decided I wanted something other than a Fedora, and was actually looking for a Coachman's, when I walked into a booth at a Celtic festival. They had a Coachman's, but I was drawn to the Derby, having never tried one on, and it suited me perfectly. My most frequent hat since then has been the $40 wool Derby that I had to purchase.

As a native Cincinnatian, I've been aware of Batsakes since I noticed it in the early 80s. I've also wanted to get something from Gus since then, which finally happened yesterday when Mrs Aahzz told me to just do it - I sometimes have issues spending money on myself :). I'm glad I did, it was a bucket list item.

On other notes, I do voice over for a living, play guitar, sing, and enjoy hanging out with dogs.

Samson25

Familiar Face
May the power be with you and your Stylemaster !
I am relatively new here myself. I really just wanted to back off from the baseball cap thing and look more like an adult.
Now, a modest 3 hats in, I'm waiting on my first custom.
I am still telling myself that 4 or 5 hats will do Me, then, I'm good.
-Marino wool bowler in black, My Stylemaster in carbon, A Stetson wool traveller in midnight blue, and the custom coming in Feb.-
( I am so stoked!).
Then,... I see the contributions of others here...blows my mind!
Thanks for the welcome, gents. The best thing about ball caps is that a dozen can be stored in the same space required for just one fedora. And they're essential when exercising -- less dorky than a headband for soaking up sweat and not nearly as weird as wearing a fedora while running!

Samson -- the new carbon Stylemaster arrived from Oregon in just a couple of days and it's already a fave. Looks good and the fit is darned near perfect right out of the box. (Note -- the new Campdraft is tightening up nicely as Fruno predicted.)

View attachment 397646

BTW, Stetson notified me on Friday that they had a 7 3/8 True Blue Open Road Pure in stock. I jumped on it right away. Apparently fellow newbie Norm dePlume isn't the only one here who lives by the principle that "If one is good, two are better ... and 36 make a good start!" I hope that makes enough new felt toppers to satisfy my itch for now. After all, straw season is coming soon!

Cheers, y'all ... and God bless you AND your hats!

Last edited:

Granville

One of the Regulars
I've worn a flat caps my whole life, usually herringbone tweed, but recently I was inspired to finally start wearing a grown-up hat. Daddy always wore a hat, and what better recommendation is there than that? At first I thought I'd just get a short-brimmed tweed fedora, and I sent away to Hanna Hats but was disappointed in the product. Sent it back. Searched the web, searched out hat shops, finally took advantage of a two for one sale and got a fedora/trilby from Scala (2" brim, stiff, lined, black - sold as the Uptown but the sweat band is stamped Detroit) and their Homburg (also black). Quickly adopted the fedora as my everyday hat, and I've worn the Homburg a couple of times (Christmas and New Year's Eve - I don't get dressed up too often anymore). In short order I sent away for another fedora, slightly larger brim, water resistant, no lining (crushable), to wear in the rain. Olive, to go with my khaki trench coat. I bought it after getting caught in the rain in the Detrot and I didn't want to ruin it, unsure how much abuse it might take. Hanging around the Lounge here now has me lurking on ebay looking for a vintage fur felt. Here's a pic of my in the rain hat; it's given me the ability to cloud men's minds.
The Shadow Knows.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff