Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Real McCoy's store in New York

chamboid

One of the Regulars
They're definitely expanding. Surprised it's McCoys over Buzz though to
make the first move into the West.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a huge move by RM. In June the Rakuten shop Vintage Paradise announced that they are handing over their online operation to RM Nagoya in Mid August and all RM sales by any store thru Rakuten will therefore be shut down. My guess is RM Nagoya (i.e. Vintage Paradise), a distributor will likely handle overseas sales (the English page is under construction according to VP facebook) and RM Japan as the direct selling store owned by RM itself will be handling the local market's online sales.

Blackadder

I agree with you. The RM's jackets fit me better than the Western made ones and with the current exchange rate, RM's products have become more attractive. I just ordered a J-100 tax free and postage free.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
In Thomas Piketty's new book, "Capital in the 21st Century", he says that, by far, most of the money belonging to the .05% of the wealthiest people is in the hands, not of those who made it, but their children and grandchildren. In lower Manhattan these days, that's who buys this stuff.

Didn't expect to see Thomas Piketty raised here, but I like it!

SJ

Edward

Bartender

Agreed... maybe Buzz feel they've got the best of the Western business they can attract by going through HPA & ELC? Myself, I'd like to see several of the Japanese manufacturers moving in to the market here, in the hope that the competition would force down prices in the nylon sector. I'd love to have a B15B & D, an early MA1, some L2s (especially an L2A; I've bot a B15 C & C Mod; I'd love to complete that set with an L2A in the darky navy, and an N2A and N3A)... the prices some of these now reach are crazy, though. Especially the L2/L2A/L2Bs.

bn1966

If we have some Japanese manufacturers moving into the Western markets more, it would be nice to see some larger sizes :)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
bn1966 said:
If we have some Japanese manufacturers moving into the Western markets more, it would be nice to see some larger sizes :)
They'll have to offer bigger sizes or they won't last (although there does seem at times to be enough overpaid, undernourished hipsters and street stylists around to buy their stuff... cough cough Styleforum cough cough).

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
They'll have to offer bigger sizes or they won't last (although there does seem at times to be enough overpaid, undernourished hipsters and street stylists around to buy their stuff... cough cough Styleforum cough cough).

Yes, and invariably looking for rare size 34 or 36 jackets, no less.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
Yes, and invariably looking for rare size 34 or 36 jackets, no less.
Size 34 and 36 Short, of course!

But seriously, hipsters are people too. I'm not a bigot.

bn1966

I'd like an L2B and an L2A in the dark blue as well as a number of other jackets; would need to have a serious conversation with my bank manager :) I can still remember when I was a hipster, many moons and many hair follicles ago.

Edward

Bartender
Size 34 and 36 Short, of course!

But seriously, hipsters are people too. I'm not a bigot.

You don't live on the doorstep of Shoreditch, to be fair. ;) :p

The hipster thing does seem to be the polar opposite of the hip hop look - instead of uber baggy, you have uber tight. Otherwise, they can be quite similar in terms of blinginess and the low crotch / belt-below-bum thing. I suppose the hipsters do it ironically. ;)

I wodner if moving into the Western markets more will mean these Japanese companies will sell more of the bigger sizes - hope so, as it should mean more on the used market...

Edward

Bartender
I'd like an L2B and an L2A in the dark blue as well as a number of other jackets; would need to have a serious conversation with my bank manager :) I can still remember when I was a hipster, many moons and many hair follicles ago.

I think what we really need is a big Hollywood film to feature these nylon jackets, then we might see more mid-level manufacturers putting them out. My Alpha Vintage Series L2A is a really well made jacket - I just wish it had the details of the Replica series (correct colour, more accurate labelling, and such). If Alpha could see a market for doing those better military style options again... I'm not convinced by the civilian cut or the quality of the ones they do do, or the orange liner...

bn1966

I like my Alpha 'Vintage' Series L2A, but love my 1979 L2B service issue 'Ground-Pounder' jacket. My Replica series (USA) B15 is a real gem...as is my early type Alpha MA1. Oh if only Alpha would start producing jackets of that level again!! Would love a Replica series L2B/L2A :)

Edward

Bartender
I like my Alpha 'Vintage' Series L2A, but love my 1979 L2B service issue 'Ground-Pounder' jacket. My Replica series (USA) B15 is a real gem...as is my early type Alpha MA1. Oh if only Alpha would start producing jackets of that level again!! Would love a Replica series L2B/L2A :)

Yeah. They have some nice looking jackets currently, but they're all made to a later spec - even the B15 with the green lining (available in Sage - not a bad looking B15Dish jacket, visually) has the poly filling. If they could put together a proper-spec B15 nylon type with cotton-wool batting, roundel decal, decent looking replica labelling, and available in navy/sage/olive nylon twill.... I'm sure they could do it competitively. It'd be great for those of us who are shy of spending leather money on nylon jackets... alas, though, I suspect their business model just isn't geared towards our low-level niche market.

bn1966

I totally agree Edward, I can't see Alpha addressing our market again anytime in the for see-able future..very pleased that I managed to find my four 'Replica' series: x 2 early MA1s, (sage/blue) the B15 (sage) & a 70s style N2B (blue)...all quality nylon with the cotton / wool batting and made some time ago in the USA...nice heavy jackets! On the look out for a Brents L2B/A.

Blackadder

You don't live on the doorstep of Shoreditch, to be fair. ;) :p

The hipster thing does seem to be the polar opposite of the hip hop look - instead of uber baggy, you have uber tight. Otherwise, they can be quite similar in terms of blinginess and the low crotch / belt-below-bum thing. I suppose the hipsters do it ironically. ;)

I wodner if moving into the Western markets more will mean these Japanese companies will sell more of the bigger sizes - hope so, as it should mean more on the used market...
Their recent move relates to outlet only. It seems RM has some new plans for their distributors. Buzz currently has a bigger selection than RM most likely because Toyo Enterprise is a manufacturer itself whilst RM is owned by a previous distributor of RM, i.e. an outlet chain only.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
On the subject of hipsters its instructive to read the disdain with which Kerouac treat hipsters throughout his canon of work. He seems to view them as just another facet of shallow mainstream society. He makes an interesting observation, for instance, that they sometimes wear one extravagant piece and then otherwise dress down.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Back to RM though. At Bread & Butter they only had a small stand with a few items being sold of the rail as outlet/sample or seconds. As its a trade show very little is sold on stands, of course. Mind you, it might have been 'cos they could get all their inventory there on time. Cant complain as I scored a great Hawaiian for 30 Euro and a lizard camo "shirt/jacket" with some extravagant Vietnam war art on the back for 70 Euros . Just right for Goodwood Revival with beat-up chinos etc. Channelling my young '60s rebel.

Regarding hipsters, it's not very ironic if everyone's doing it, now, is it. I think hipsters, at such, have ceased to exist, though. At this point, what may have once been hipster style now pretty much blended into fashion so entirely that people who could not be farther away from hipsterdom - that is to say, people who need fashion trends to know what to wear - look more like hipsters than they ever used to.

Ironically enough, I do notice that Real McCoy seems to be least worn by people who ride. Outside Japan, at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner