Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Real McCoy's store in New York

Ishmael

Practically Family
Well, I think it's more than that Americana has some objective or timeless appeal.

It is certainly true in Japan's case that the postwar love affair was with the culture of the country that had vanquished it. However, the US didn't just conquer Japan. It conquered the world, economically. Becoming the hegemonic state within the world-system. The hegemons (first the Dutch, then the British, then the Americans, now nobody) have always been the trendsetters of that system, the avant garde of modernity. Japan didn't just look to the US as its conqueror but also, along with most other cultures, as hegemon.

But there is also a whole history of former colonies turning later to an admiration for their former colonizers. Its rooted, perhaps, in nostalgia, a longing for authority amidst flux and also related to the above in that the post-colonizer is still usually more wealthy than the post-colony.

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The USA has produced some great jackets: A leather flight jacket from light to very cold zones & the same with their nylons. Being a pretty much life long fan of flight jackets & what they represent, aside from always wanting an Irvin type, all my other aspirations originated from over the Pond. From an A2 to an MA1 / N2B etc they've always felt good on, been practical and have all that history behind them. Their influence is massive..walk down any High St & from fashion jackets to very practical garments chances are you will see something that has it's origins in American flight apparel.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Regarding The Real McCoys, their stuff may not be favored here on this forum, but I think one of the reasons is that they are offered in a standard sizing only and do not make custom sizing or alterations. Incidentally I have a modest selection of their articles in my equipment closet, including Buco J100 in black and in white, J22, and several of their shirts and a nice chain wallet. I have inspected their military line and their boots as well. From the materials used to the craftsmanship, when you buy one of their items it is so predictably high in quality of material and in cut that there is very little question why they are the best, in my opinion. I happen to be a perfect fit for one of their sizes and have not had a desire to look anywhere else to find a style that is available from The Real McCoys, save for comparison purpose. I have scoured through numerous other makes and add that I have not found better quality or cut. This is not to say it is not possible, but RMC have a consistent quality collection that continues to evolve without sacrifice in any quality aspect. An example would be their M-65 field jacket is the very best in terms of cut, seam accuracy, material and to the military spec (except no quarpel treatment), but totally accurized on every stitch. YMMV. Yes they are so darn expensive that I find myself stretching every time waiting years to muster enough for another piece. But it's worth it as they are lifelong companions once you achieve it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If they were under $1200, and if you could get custom/bigger sizes, you can absolutely bet they'd be among the crowd favorites here.

I've also found that ordering from Japan is a pretty straightforward process. The only real difference is that most of the items have been delivered to my local post office rather than my house.

Last edited:

ShaneB

New in Town
Well, I think it's more than that Americana has some objective or timeless appeal.

It is certainly true in Japan's case that the postwar love affair was with the culture of the country that had vanquished it. However, the US didn't just conquer Japan. It conquered the world, economically. Becoming the hegemonic state within the world-system. The hegemons (first the Dutch, then the British, then the Americans, now nobody) have always been the trendsetters of that system, the avant garde of modernity. Japan didn't just look to the US as its conqueror but also, along with most other cultures, as hegemon.

But there is also a whole history of former colonies turning later to an admiration for their former colonizers. Its rooted, perhaps, in nostalgia, a longing for authority amidst flux and also related to the above in that the post-colonizer is still usually more wealthy than the post-colony.

I think that's far too complex an analysis!

I think the Japanese just like the aesthetic to be honest. And that's all it is: aesthetics. Japan has always been - how should I put it - slightly more open and accommodating of foreign influences compared to your neighbours in China. It's why the Japanese industrialised very quickly in the late 19th century.

Incidentally, is there a reason why someone would pay the exorbitant prices of McCoys jackets instead of one of the usual Western suspects?

Last edited:

bentusian

One of the Regulars

I think the Japanese just like the aesthetic to be honest. And that's all it is: aesthetics. Japan has always been - how should I put it - slightly more open and accommodating of foreign influences compared to your neighbours in China. It's why the Japanese industrialised very quickly in the late 19th century.

Incidentally, is there a reason why someone would pay the exorbitant prices of McCoys jackets instead of one of the usual Western suspects?

I wonder how much aesthetic appeal military and work wears have in an universal sense (though it does to us). But I agree on Japan having long tradition of accommodating western influence as they were one of the first to turn their backs on sino-centric Asian world system and to plunge into fast-track modernization - with some internal resistance of course. Combined with it, I think American occupation and post-war industrialization (thanks to Korean War) as well as Japan's tradition of admiring/respecting their conquerors (based on eagerness to learn from them) played a big part.

As for their prices, I think another reason apart from their high-end quality control is Japan's unique and rather isolated domestic market system - Japan has had sort of a self-contained market with high income, where RMC's stuff are, although still expensive, more accessible and affordable to the Japanese than to foreign consumers.

Ishmael

Practically Family

Sorry for the complexity Shane. Yes, by all means, I don't want you to hurt yourself. if it's easier for you to replace explanation with pure aesthetics, be my guest.

(We might note however that Japan didn't much care for American aesthetics from about 1941-45. Nor was Japan very "open and accommodating of foreign influences" before the first wave of American military might showed up in the form of some black ships.)

ShaneB

New in Town
I wonder how much aesthetic appeal military and work wears have in an universal sense (though it does to us). But I agree on Japan having long tradition of accommodating western influence as they were one of the first to turn their backs on sino-centric Asian world system and to plunge into fast-track modernization - with some internal resistance of course. Combined with it, I think American occupation and post-war industrialization (thanks to Korean War) as well as Japan's tradition of admiring/respecting their conquerors (based on eagerness to learn from them) played a big part.

As for their prices, I think another reason apart from their high-end quality control is Japan's unique and rather isolated domestic market system - Japan has had sort of a self-contained market with high income, where RMC's stuff are, although still expensive, more accessible and affordable to the Japanese than to foreign consumers.

I think it's very strong to be honest (historically at least). Modern western attire is functional, and has very singular roots in British country apparel, rooted in the 18th century. It's this function over form that diffused military designed garments for wider consumption. It's the 18th century where the idea of functional clothing took precedence over formal dress, and that continues to the present day; it's why reefer jackets etc. diffused so successfully. Interestingly the impetus for that change came from a place that is still looked upon as the origin/source of many, many things that considered the mainstay of casual forms of clothing: from the countryside. Practical, functional clothing.

Sorry for the complexity Shane. Yes, by all means, I don't want you to hurt yourself. if it's easier for you to replace explanation with pure aesthetics, be my guest.

(We might note however that Japan didn't much care for American aesthetics from about 1941-45. Nor was Japan very "open and accommodating of foreign influences" before the first wave of American military might showed up in the form of some black ships.)

I've always looked upon Japan's burgeoning textile industry as a continuation of its industrialisation from the 19th century (when they were importing heavy machinery from Britain, not loomwheels!); their love affair with American clothing, and traditional British country clothing, has given focus for their textiles. Quite an interesting subject - these Japanese textile producers saw merit in what was pretty outdated means of production.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner