Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New RedWing Store NOT Ready for "Prime Time"

Worf

I'll Lock Up
For years now I've been wanting some US made RedWing "Heritage" Beckman Chukkas. Problem was, the nearest RW Store was in Springfield Mass. almost 100 miles away. I planned to go out there but things got in the way like Jackets, Coats, Hats... Caps etc. Fast forward to this past summer and I was overjoyed to hear that RW was opening a store in Clifton Park NY less than 20 minutes from my doorstep. It opened last week but you wouldn't have known it. No announcements, no sales, no balloon, no searchlights. I waited a week to let them get their feet on the ground before going over to check on buying some Chukkas.

Now I don't consider myself a hard customer to please... I just believe that, if I'm paying you money you should at least ACT like you're happy for the privilege and behave accordingly. Here's my review of my experience.

Decor: C-Minus - Non-descript little storefront stuck on the outside edge of a suburban mall. Small interior, seating for 5 max. Boots and shoes well displayed but bad FM music blasting way too loud. Ambiance sterile, and parts of the store were unfinished.

Stock and Inventory: C - Truth be told I didn't expect them have my size in the boot I wanted. I expected to get measured and have them custom made. But being a knowledgeble shopper, I could tell they had less than half the lines displayed that they should've been selling. They later confirmed this in conversation and said "they didn't know when the rest of their stock would arrive."

Staff Professionalism: - F - It's a VERY bad sign when you walk into a new store and you immediately realize that you know MORE ABOUT THE PRODUCT THAN THE STAFF WORKING THERE. I shouldn't have to explain to a someone selling costum made shoes what a "welt" is. I shouldn't have to tell you the model numbers I want time and time again. The seating in the store shouldn't be so low that adults can't use properly use a shoe horn, foot rest or any of the other things folks use in a competent shoe store. The staff seemed more interested in singing along with "Fly 92" on the Radio than giving me a profesional shoe buying experience.

Overall Experience - D - I was there at 2:30 in the afternoon on a weekday. I was the ONLY customer and they still couldn't get ANYTHING right. It was/is sad. What are they going to do when the holidays come and they've neither the staff, inventory nor expertise to handle even a moderate Crristmas rush. I went in wanting to spend my money and left shaking my head in disbelief and the incompetence of the whole affair. In an effort to be "fair" I'll stop back in around mid-November (if the place lasts that long) and see if things have improved. What a sad afternoon.

Worf

HeyMoe

Practically Family
That often happens with stores opening up a new storefront. Instead of sending experienced staff to get everyone up to speed for a month or two after opening, they toss employees into a down and dirty training class and send them on their merry way once the store opens.

Worf I don't think your experience would have been much different had you gone to the store 100 miles away. Most of the heritage line can be had online at a better price than the stores offer, assuming you can even find a brick and mortar dealer that carries them. I went to a local dealer a while back to replace my old 875s, and on top of 95% or better of inventory on hand being their imported models (I think they had some U.S. made pull-on styles in stock), the sales man laughed -he laughed- at my request and proceeded to tell me "we purty much don't sell them kind. You know folks up in New York is wearin' 'em for fashion now?"
I ended up getting some new 877s from Amazon about $30 cheaper.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
Worf,

Figure out how to get fitted in person, it makes all the difference. Then order what you need.
But, I'm sorry for your experience. I can relate.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Agree, just find your size and shop online. Good luck finding what your looking for too as most of the USA made shoes are sold overseas. Not sure why Redwing doesn't just sell the Heritage line direct from their website. I found my 2 pair of Heritage off Ebay. Majority of Mericans won't pay the price of domestic manufactured products. The Redwing store I visited told me as much, they didn't stock the Heritage line because they couldn't sell it against their import line, they are too expensive. It's a Catch 22. BTW, Redwing Heritage are not custom made and rarely do you see them in anything other than medium/D width which runs narrow anyway.

A Red Wing store front opened not too far from work.
A co-worker & I popped in at lunch one day.
There was 1 customer ahead of us but the service was top notch.
The owner/operator knew his stuff.
I can't believe the staff you described given the market these shoes target.

winterland1

Practically Family
Make sure to search on Red Wing's website specifically for a store that carries the Heritage Line if that is what you are looking for. Many Red Wing stores don't carry them.
Either way that store did sell them so they should know the line better. It is a new store so hopefully they get better. If not feel free to email Red Wing with feedback.
We are lucky in Minnesota where they are made to have some knowledgable store staff.
I stopped by one store here in the Minneapolis area right at closing time. My bad for not checking their hours. They were locked up. The clerk saw me trying to open the door and came out and asked my situation. Explained I was wanted to try on a pair of Beckmans as I was contemplating Wolverine 1000's or Red Wing. The clerk let me in and gave me the whole lowdown about Red Wing's Heritage line. He was very knowledgable. I was impressed. Spent the time to get me sized properly and tried on a few pair.
I still have not purchased a pair yet but I would go back there to buy.
I feel we should support brick and mortar as much as we can. Saving $20 online is not really worth it. I do understand it if you can get significant savings.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
They DID put my feet in an electronic scanner. A machine that told me what I already new but didn't tell them what I knew... that I have an extremely HIGH arch and need EE or EEE to get boots on. What I wanted to learn is if I could get a 11.5 EEE or would I have to settle for a 12-W or whatever they sell Chukkas in. Of course I could find out none of that. I'd buy em online if I could but Beckman's are rare and never seen above a size D. I could've bought some Iron Rangers online in my size but that ain't the boot I want.

Worf

If you got real high arches you might want to reconsider the red wings

I feel we should support brick and mortar as much as we can. Saving $20 online is not really worth it. I do understand it if you can get significant savings.

Please don't misunderstand where I'm coming from. I would have spent $20 MORE online because the salesman was such a douche. I went in looking to replace a worn out pair with more of the same and was basically accused of being a fashionista because I wasn't interested in any of the high tech import models he had on the shelf.
An orthotic insole is not the hallmark of a quality boot. Wolverine, Chippewa, Georgia, Justin, etc. all have imported boots of comparable quality to Red Wing's for about half the price.
But all that's a dead horse that been beat before in plenty of other threads. Sorry.

geezer

New in Town
My experience with the local RW store has been that they mostly cater to the tradesmen. I know ComEd gives uniform credit to their linemen, etc. and these folks will typically buy their work boots from the local store. The few times I visited there they had none of the Heritage line in stock and not a single employee was familiar with them.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
The Red Wing stores rarely carry the Heritage line and it's a rare experience when the staff is familiar with them at all. There is a very good store in my area. They carry select models out of the Heritage line and the staff is very professional and well trained. I'd say your experience not typical compared to the other Red Wing stores I've been in. Finding Heritage models in a Red Wing store is pretty uncommon since the stores mostly focus their sales on work boots (read steel toes, EH, etc.) and safety shoes.

You may have better luck calling Baker Shoe in Eugene, OR. I've ordered most of my Red Wing Heritage's from them with the exception of some dirt cheap sales boots I found on the Clymb.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Warf, five words: White's Boots from Baker's Shoes.

Arch Ease system is just what the doctor ordered, and the customer service at Baker's is second to none. Trust me; buy some White's from Kyle

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Warf, five words: White's Boots from Baker's Shoes.

Arch Ease system is just what the doctor ordered, and the customer service at Baker's is second to none. Trust me; buy some White's from Kyle

Worf, I will second that. If you have high arches, a pair of White's would be just the ticket for you.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Most Red Wing stores deal with work boot's I never see the higher end stuff at my Red Wing store. I get a new pair every year and the shop has been there for 20 years.

John J

Familiar Face
Thank You Worf!

Thank you for saving me the trouble of going to the Clifton country mall and trying to find a nicer looking pair of boots in a 12E! (i'm in Schenectady)

I'm looking for a nicer looking pair of 6" lace ups, but with the exception of Allen Edmonds (not quite what I want) and the western boot companies (dont want slip on /cowboy boots) I haven't had much luck. I then saw the Baker boot post as a reply to this thread and checked it out The whites would do it nicely , similar pricing to AE (up there) But available and Options!!!. I like the fact that you pick ,soul ,color , hardware... long lead time though But so are bespoke hats.

Im bewildered that none of the mainstream shoe/boot companies offer any wides, some do with low shoes But I was hard pressed to find any boots but AE ,, Whites look like a winner.

thanks for posting I was on the same path and not having any luck!

did you get your hat from Cane rod maker yet?

Have a great day

"John"

"John"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael