Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New school actors, old school looks.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Russell Crow
3005287rc16.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I guess I don't know enough about him to recognize him. Haven't seen any of his movies.

What movie is that pic from? Looks interesting.

Brad

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Russell Crow

He was title role in Gladiator.
Starred in Master & Commander
And surely you saw A Beautiful Mind?

Matt has been raiding IMDB...
There's that cap from Seabiscuit that Brett at B!Wear is making right now.

Looking at all these pictures of current actors trying to be tough guys made me think. None of them strike me as the replacement for Bogart or any of the other tough guys from 40s movies. They can dress the part but they just do not pull off the presence.
I mean really Baldwin, Lowe and Hanks? Come on! They all strike me as Alan Alda trying to act tough. :rolleyes: Crowe has some possibilities though if he can start bathing more frequently and not take the tough guy stuff into his private life. :p

Regards to all,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Russell Crowe is in a movie coming out this year called "Cinderella Man".

Plot Outline: The story of Depression-era fighter and folk hero Jim Braddock, who defeated heavyweight champ Max Baer in a 15-round slugfest in 1935.

It was filmed in Toronto, and the transformation of parts of the city was amazing.

More info here.

David

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Looks like a great film

Canadave said:
Russell Crowe is in a movie coming out this year called "Cinderella Man".
David
The trailer is here:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/cinderella_man/trailer/

Some friends and I had this discussion a few weeks ago. Who among the current crop of actors can come close to the standard of Bogart, or a Gable or Gary Cooper? "The man every woman wants, and every man wants to be."
We settled on Russel Crow.

scotrace said:
Some friends and I had this discussion a few weeks ago. Who among the current crop of actors can come close to the standard of Bogart, or a Gable or Gary Cooper? "The man every woman wants, and every man wants to be."
We settled on Russel Crow.

Well, I don't want to be him. I bathe regularly. :p
I can, however, see him as coming close to a standard. Geez, can't Hollywood find some real men in America? How embarassing! There are too many Girlie Men on the screen acting like tough guys. I suppose our action heros do get close but they are not what I could imagine seeing in a film noir movie. I suppose I could stretch for Bruce Willis or John Travolta but you can't understand Arnold or Stalone. :p
The wife chimed in and gave me a few though: Steven Seagal, Bruce Boxleitner and Kurt Russell.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21