Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

Jovan

Suspended
MrBern said:
Stop stealing my jokes, kid.
I honestly never saw that until now! Great minds think alike, they say.

I didn't get to see the last one because there was no change indicated for Gainesville. :rolleyes: Typical. The episode looks great though... I'm glad they're adding some more ridiculous colours into the show, like that bright green quasar.

Doh!

One Too Many
Uhura

According to IMDb News, Uhura has been cast:

"Zoe Saldana is to recreate Nichelle Nichols' iconic Lt. Uhura role in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek epic. The New Jersey-born actress, who co-starred with Britney Spears in Crossroads and played Anna Maria in Pirates of The Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, is the first woman to be added to the cast of the new sci-fi film. Nichols played Uhura in the original Star Trek series and reprised the character for the first six movies. She also made history with the character when her on-screen kiss with co-star William Shatner's Capt. Kirk became the first interracial TV smooch. Saldana joins Heroes star Zachary Quinto, who has signed on to play Spock, and Anton Yelchin, who will play Chekov. The original Mr. Spock, Leonard Nimoy, will also play a cameo in the much-anticipated film."

Edward

Bartender
Doh! said:
She also made history with the character when her on-screen kiss with co-star William Shatner's Capt. Kirk became the first interracial TV smooch.

I remember reading an interview with Shatner where he said that even though it is credited as this, it wasn't actually what it has been built up to be over time. Apparently they filmed two versions - one showing the kiss, the other depicting it happening but not actually showing it onscreen (backs of heads kind of thing), and it was the suggested but not quite seen version we got in the episode. It's been so long sicne I saw it, I can't remember....

Josephine

One Too Many
Edward said:
I remember reading an interview with Shatner where he said that even though it is credited as this, it wasn't actually what it has been built up to be over time. Apparently they filmed two versions - one showing the kiss, the other depicting it happening but not actually showing it onscreen (backs of heads kind of thing), and it was the suggested but not quite seen version we got in the episode. It's been so long sicne I saw it, I can't remember....

You're remembering correctly, It was one of those "their heads come together, then they turn" and you see the back of Jim's head and Uhura can't be seen. No contact. But it was meant to be a kiss! :)

Jovan

Suspended
I can't say I was all too surprised when I read that. To be fair, that wasn't a shining example of Trek otherwise. "You can't force emotion from a Vulcan, you'll kill him!" ... compared to all the other times Spock has been emotional. Sure. That'll REALLY kill him. :rolleyes:

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
When I last paid big attention to the merchandise available, back in the mid 90s, it was possible to buy a lapel pin in three sizes - one was the full size communicator (this was released before, but still available after, the plastic communicator pins that pinned on and made the noise when you tapped it), then there were two identical in design in other sizes. These were a half-size model, and one that was maybe only half an inch in diameter that would work really well as a subtle lapel pin. Of course, all of them would look good IMO - it all comes down to how subtle you want it to be. Back when I was still a Star Wars fan (I consdier myself an ex-Star Wars fan nowadays due to the severity of the negative impact upon my desire to rewatch or collect anything SW ever again following the "Special" Editions and the prequel trilogy) I used to wear a 7/8" diameter rebel alliance pin as a lapel badge on a daily basis.

I definitely will look for an appropriate sized Star Trek communicator pin for my lapel. Also, I've got to get a Fedora Lounge Lapel Pin. They have a great look.
I may get a Klingon pin as well. I really like the Klingon logo.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
not the best 3rd season episode.

Josephine said:
You're remembering correctly, It was one of those "their heads come together, then they turn" and you see the back of Jim's head and Uhura can't be seen. No contact. But it was meant to be a kiss! :)

I've heard that there was another show that had the first interracial kiss. But Roddenberry was good at promoting the show & no one wanted to stir the pot.

I do recall that the lips met, but that they turn so Kirk can glare at the camera.

ok, its on youtube, its dark, but you be the judge.
startrekkiss

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
I am having a religious experience,....

Sefton said:
Sorry to take this farther off topic,but I clicked on the IMDB link about Star Trek XI and it says that Matt Damon is (rumored) to be playing the James T.Kirk part! Good Lord! Can Ben Affleck as Spock be next!:eek:

I want to scream, "GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
The damaging duo?
Neither Afleck or Damon can act.
At all. And have been proving it in film after film.
As a matter of concern is their continued economic success which appears to be based on nothing at all.
Not acting. :(
Not direction. :( :(
Not production. :( :( :(
Give me strength!
Well, now I dont have to go to the trouble of actually going to see the new Star Trek film, and getting disappointed in person; with my feet sticking to the floor, having loud and undisciplined children running around, and loud and undisciplined parents of those very same children talking loudly into their in-appropriately loud musical cell phones, whilst dumping feed lots of popped corn that smells like pre-vomiteous sickup on the theater floor, as appearantly unending commericals play to those trapped in broken and stained seats.

Ahhh. The pleasure of going to the movies.:)

But,...that's MY opinion and we all have those. Geeeze! Afliction and the wooden boy.

Josephine

One Too Many
MrBern said:
I've heard that there was another show that had the first interracial kiss. But Roddenberry was good at promoting the show & no one wanted to stir the pot.

I do recall that the lips met, but that they turn so Kirk can glare at the camera.

ok, its on youtube, its dark, but you be the judge.
startrekkiss

I contend that you could still argue that the actors' lips didn't touch. :D

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
TAKEI asteroid

CNN reports an asteroid officially named after the actor who played Sulu.CNN REPORT
art.george.takei.gi.jpg

Quote: "I am now a heavenly body."

Jovan

Suspended
Hm. He looks more fresh faced and naive than Bill Shatner... but that's probably a good thing. I always imagined Kirk as being more reserved and "nerdy" in the academy, keeping with Gary Mitchell calling him a bookworm. I haven't seen his work yet, but I'm sure whoever they pick will do fine. Their choices so far have been very good ones, mixing relative newcomers with experienced young actors such as Zoe Saldana.

Jovan

Suspended
I like Wil Wheaton. -_- But he wouldn't be a good choice, simply because he's too recognized as another character in the Trek pantheon. Why it works for people like Brent Spiner playing other characters is because they're related to Data somehow and there's the whole "in thy image" aspect of the Soong creations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis