Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
More like WIP in my mind. It'll be done -- someday. I have a bit of a soft spot for The Cage uniforms. And I do specifically mean The Cage... why did they lose that rolled look to the collar in Where No Man Has Gone Before? Made no sense to me to nerf something of such high aesthetic value, however useless it may be in functionality.

Boots can be bought for $60 online: http://www.outworldsutlery.com/pre.html

Interesting, but the link doesnt mention if they're leather or not.
And the heel is wrong. And really the toe isnt pointed enuff... It should really be like a very tall beatleboot.

No idea why they changed the collars. Maybe they were a bitch to clean. Nimoy has a funny collar, I assume so it'd be easier to pull over his ears.

Funny, there were no red shirts in the Cage or WNMHGB.
Actually, if u look closely, there are two diff gold shirts in those early eps. One is command gold/green, the other is kind of peach. And the peach shirt has a notch in the cuff.Look at Gary Mitchell's uniform.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Well, folks, I have no links or further information, but I heard from a friend today that Scotty has been cast - Simon Shaun of the Dead Pegg.

Actually Startrek dotcom sez 37 yr old Englishman SimonPegg is in as Scotty.
Also 35 yrear old JohnCho from Harold&Kumar is in as Sulu.
And EricBAna will be the villain.

Must be VERY close to filming.

Shearer

Practically Family
MrBern said:
trekmovie.con has artist impressions of what the young actors could look like in TOS roles.
QuintoSpock2.jpg
pinekirk1.jpg

Quinto looks good in that mock-up, but the other guy? It looks like Barbara Walters lighting and too much makeup. If they make him up like that he's going to look like Monty Clift after his accident... or Mark Hamill in the Star Wars Xmas Special :eek:

Jovan

Suspended
MrBern said:
Actually Startrek dotcom sez 37 yr old Englishman SimonPegg is in as Scotty.
Also 35 yrear old JohnCho from Harold&Kumar is in as Sulu.
And EricBAna will be the villain.

Must be VERY close to filming.
That's... what he just said.

John Cho? I suppose I haven't seen enough of him in serious roles, but a lot of comedians or people who only do comedy can have some seriously good dramatic chops, like Jim Carrey. The thing I'm worried about is backlash from Japanese-Americans, where both him and Linda Park are/have been playing them but are actually Korean-Americans. Simon Pegg, especially if he has roots in Scotland, may be spared from this.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
That's... what he just said.

John Cho? I suppose I haven't seen enough of him in serious roles, but a lot of comedians or people who only do comedy can have some seriously good dramatic chops, like Jim Carrey. The thing I'm worried about is backlash from Japanese-Americans, where both him and Linda Park are/have been playing them but are actually Korean-Americans. Simon Pegg, especially if he has roots in Scotland, may be spared from this.

Backlash? I doubt it.
There was hardly a mention of non japanese performers in Memoirs of a Geisha.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
Maybe MrBern isn't familiar with Shaun of the Dead. Poor thing. ;)

Well there were actually THREE actors chosen, not just 'Scotty'. I was trying to add to Edward's post by adding Sulu & 'Nero' to the mix. Didnt mean to imply that Edward was incorrect. I wholeheartedly THANK Jovan for all his diligence in this matter.

I'm familiar w/ Pegg, he co-wrote & starred in HotFuzz, which was probably the funniest movie to come out this year.

he sure doesnt look like Scotty.
pegg-auto.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
That probably isn't the best pic to judge, however. I'm pretty sure with a shave, the right hair and the proper dialect coach, he'll be well on his way to being our beloved Scot. Minus the paunch he started to develop in TOS. ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
That probably isn't the best pic to judge, however. I'm pretty sure with a shave, the right hair and the proper dialect coach, he'll be well on his way to being our beloved Scot. Minus the paunch he started to develop in TOS. ;)
scotty.jpg

Paunch? You think? I really thought Scotty held together til the movies.
Now Shatner's paunch was infamous.

Jovan

Suspended
Many fans would argue they f'ed around with continuity so much already that it was a non-issue. lol Perhaps a variant?

Honestly, there's not always continuity with the uniforms. In the original series alone, they cut up and reused stuff from so many episodes, including the pilots. You see... wait, is that, Antares crewmembers??? in The Trouble With Tribbles. Probably just a cheap reuse to fill out the background extras with varied looks. The Antares uniforms themselves were a cheap reuse of costume from the second pilot, but with different ship insignia. They also cut up Grace Lee Whitney's tunic/dress to use as a shirt with female crewmember extras when she bowed out of the series. (I bet they wouldn't have if they knew how big Trek was going to get!) You can also spy a few retrofitted Cage and WNMHGB uniforms from time to time, even being used by a character specific to an episode -- they're tellable by the vented sleeve ends and lack of gussets at the side. (Those were added so the tunics could be altered easily when the actors gained or lost weight.)

Very authentic indeed, considering 1960s styles were what they unknowingly established as canon then for the 2260s. The bryl creemed hair on the men also helped considerably. Fashion repeats itself!

Oh blimey. Nerd alert!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff