Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Well no matter if its good or bad, at least we'll get to see Indy don that spectacularly famous hat hehe.

Personally I can't wait. I've always loved Indiana Jones movies and cant wait for another.

[Housekeeping Edit: Indy IV discussions will be here. Thanks, HJ]

On a bizarre sidenote I also find myself eagerly awating Star Trek XI in 2008. Its going retro on us and taking us back to the original Kirk Enterprise. Even the promotional poster is a throwback :)
_11536025814678.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Well this was strange...

Here I am talking about XI on the Fedora Lounge and run across this picture on startrek.com's store

TNG_06.jpg

irony...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Sorry to take this farther off topic,but I clicked on the IMDB link about Star Trek XI and it says that Matt Damon is (rumored) to be playing the James T.Kirk part! Good Lord! Can Ben Affleck as Spock be next!:eek:

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Christopher Walken definitely needs to be Kirk. He even talks with pauses...

So what if he looks old... HE NEEDS TO BE KIRK lol

"So you...think you can beat me...with that phaser...do you??"

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
trek

there was some talk about the trek films & its fan-made films on this thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9540

Incidentally, Affleck was rumoured to be the next kirk a few weeks before the more credible Damon rumour surfaced. I would imagine that the franchise might go along the route of MissionImpossible.

Harrison Ford hasnt said much about the next Indy film, beyond his enthusiasm to make it. He made the rounds this summer while publicizing Firewall. He looks pretty good.

Oh, when I saw Karen Allan at an anniversary Raiders screening in July, she said she hadnt seen a script yet & had heard a rumour that Natalie Portman might play Indy's daughter.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The next Star Trek is supposed to be set at Starfleet Academy so a young Kirk will be required. I can just see Spock pledging for a fraternity :)

Flitcraft

One Too Many
The next Star Trek is supposed to be set at Starfleet Academy so a young Kirk will be required. I can just see Spock pledging for a fraternity

Man, that just gave me a bad visual of the "Animal House" fraternity initiation scene!:eek:

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Well its rumored to be at Starfleet Academy... but the director has said it might not be...its still up in the air.

However I would really like to see how they interpret the look of the early starfleet academy years...looked like a fun fun place in SFA:2 (videogame)

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
And I secretly want to see exactly what Kirk did to "change the rules" of the Kobyashi Maru scenario to make it possible to win.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
McPeppers said:
Well no matter if its good or bad, at least we'll get to see Indy don that spectacularly famous hat hehe.

Personally I can't wait. I've always loved Indiana Jones movies and cant wait for another.

On a bizarre sidenote I also find myself eagerly awating Star Trek XI in 2008. Its going retro on us and taking us back to the original Kirk Enterprise. Even the promotional poster is a throwback :)
_11536025814678.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

If you put all the brains at Paramount into one head you might end up with half a brain.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
I believe he reprogrammed the computer. He "cheated," that was the whole point.

Well yeah but how? Hehe I mean from what we saw in the original movies they are presented with an unwinable situation...what did he do to cheat?

Add another Federation ship?
A turncoat captain on onother vessel?
Was the "distress call" there to lure the enemy in close to use a new weapon?
Did the first shot from the Enterprise "glitch" into one of the 3 enemy ships and breach their core?

Obviously it had to be something cool because he got a commendation for it rather than a punishment :p

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
McPeppers said:
Well yeah but how? Hehe I mean from what we saw in the original movies they are presented with an unwinable situation...what did he do to cheat?

Add another Federation ship?
A turncoat captain on onother vessel?
Was the "distress call" there to lure the enemy in close to use a new weapon?
Did the first shot from the Enterprise "glitch" into one of the 3 enemy ships and breach their core?

Obviously it had to be something cool because he got a commendation for it rather than a punishment :p

Have the Kobyashi Maru actually have a real "Corbomite device" on board, set off by remote?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Sure, Wrath of Khan was great.
It was an older Kirk getting his ass kicked. The repercussions of his younger days. Not handling Khan right & having an illigitmate son who resented him.
Kirk broke the rules
So did his son in creating Genesis w/ unstable energy.
Everything was coming back to haunt & torment Kirk, including facing an unwinnable battle.

if you're hungry for some old style trek check out this fanfilm trailer w/ soem of the original actors
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0vhLyGHA2BY

BJonas

One of the Regulars
To quote jake_fink: "Ow, my wookie's bending."lol

Seriously, I think Adrien Brody has been floated as young Spock, which is cool with me, there's a decent resemblance.

As far as Indy 4 goes, I'm scared, actually frightened, that George Lucas will rape and destroy yet another childhood playground of mine.

Feraud

Bartender
This thread briefly touched on the subject of Star Trek and I thought some of you would appreciate this.
I purchased the catalogs for the recent Trek auction. It is a two volume set and chock full of costumes, set design, ships, and other cool stuff.
Picture5523.jpg

Picture5524.jpg

Picture5525.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I've been avoiding mentioning this becuz its not goldenage. But Paramount has decided to restore & remaster `60s classic startrek tv as a PERIOD PIECE.

They've restored it for HD broadcast. I suppose for those watching on huge plasma screens.
HD is higher quality than DVD so this is different from the DVDs. The music is rerecorded & some FX are replaced by meticulous cgi.They went & measured the models at th Smithsonian.
new-540x287.jpg

There has been no fanfare & its unfortunately broadcast generally very late in the AM starting last month.

From what I've seen, its rather good. Tho some are dubious of the new CGI scenes to replace the old model spaceships.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060907e.php

and

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/news/TOS/article/28095.html

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
CGI'd Trek - uh, no

Okay, I've been a loyal Star Trek fan since Day One - I watched from the very first broadcast 40(!) years ago - but I simply cannot get behind this CGIing of the effects shots at all.

Star Trek *is* now a period piece, and it should be treated with the respect that an old classic deserves. (What would you folks say if it was announced that those charmingly lame airplane model shots in Casablanca were going to be redone in CGI?!?) Those grainy effects shots, visible matte lines, limitations in ship movement due to using an 11-foot *physical model* (how quaint!) in a studio with limited space, etc., are historic and beautiful, even if they seem a bit cheesy to newer audiences spoiled by the animated cartoonery of the recent Star Wars films.

(Hey, these effects still look much classier than those of Star Trek: The Next Generation's, even though that series was done twenty years later, because the original series was entirely composited and broadcast from 35mm film by old-school Hollywood feature-film pros, whereas TNG was shot on 35mm, but all the effects work and delivery were all done on *videotape*! Try watching those on your HD monitor!)

What's more, I reject the notion that these new effects shots will "win" any new fans for Star Trek. It's the lack of plot arcs, lack of dark/depressing characters and stories, old-school use of music, non-widescreen aspect ratio, and straightforward (though admittedly occasionally over the top) emotional acting and dialog that marks the show as not being "kewl". These new prints are also being syndicated much as the original 70s syndication prints were - with several minutes of story deleted to make room for more commercials - which is not exactly *respecting* the show!

This is *not* at all about honoring the show. It's a *business decision*, pure and simple. For the first time in twenty years, there's no new Trek series being made, so Paramount (or whoever it is that owns Trek now) needs to squeeze more money out of the old cash cow. (You can only create so many thematic boxed sets of the DVDs, ya know!) Not for nothing, this is also the motivation for the auction...

Anyway, I have no interest in even watching these. If they bring more young folks to the show, great. And it is nice to know that good old original Trek is running in broadcast again... But Trek thoroughly won my love on a 19-inch b/w TV with fuzzy rabbit-ear reception - due to the intelligence of stories, not the quality of its effects. And let's recall that the effects *were* great in their time: my way of honoring it is to respect the push-the-envelope efforts of the folks who killed themselves getting the show ready to air each Thursday night back in the 60s! It's a huge disservice to *them* to replace the effects shots...

moustache

Practically Family
Hmmm

Sefton said:
Sorry to take this farther off topic,but I clicked on the IMDB link about Star Trek XI and it says that Matt Damon is (rumored) to be playing the James T.Kirk part! Good Lord! Can Ben Affleck as Spock be next!:eek:

At least Matt Damon can act!!
Affleck??? Not a lick !! IMHO of course.Always felt that Affleck rode the tails of Damon after their famous debut on screen.

JD

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I can understand your skepticism. And I know its all from a lov eof TOS trek.
But until youve seen it, why bash it?
The originals are preserved on DVD. This Remastering is like th StarWars SpecialEditions, but far less invasive.
Some of it doesnt work, but some of it does.

Doctor Strange said:
Okay, I've been a loyal Star Trek fan since Day One - I watched from the very first broadcast 40(!) years ago - but I simply cannot get behind this CGIing of the effects shots at all.

Star Trek *is* now a period piece, and it should be treated with the respect that an old classic deserves. (What would you folks say if it was announced that those charmingly lame airplane model shots in Casablanca were going to be redone in CGI?!?) Those grainy effects shots, visible matte lines, limitations in ship movement due to using an 11-foot *physical model* (how quaint!) in a studio with limited space, etc., are historic and beautiful, even if they seem a bit cheesy to newer audiences spoiled by the animated cartoonery of the recent Star Wars films.

(Hey, these effects still look much classier than those of Star Trek: The Next Generation's, even though that series was done twenty years later, because the original series was entirely composited and broadcast from 35mm film by old-school Hollywood feature-film pros, whereas TNG was shot on 35mm, but all the effects work and delivery were all done on *videotape*! Try watching those on your HD monitor!)

What's more, I reject the notion that these new effects shots will "win" any new fans for Star Trek. It's the lack of plot arcs, lack of dark/depressing characters and stories, old-school use of music, non-widescreen aspect ratio, and straightforward (though admittedly occasionally over the top) emotional acting and dialog that marks the show as not being "kewl". These new prints are also being syndicated much as the original 70s syndication prints were - with several minutes of story deleted to make room for more commercials - which is not exactly *respecting* the show!

This is *not* at all about honoring the show. It's a *business decision*, pure and simple. For the first time in twenty years, there's no new Trek series being made, so Paramount (or whoever it is that owns Trek now) needs to squeeze more money out of the old cash cow. (You can only create so many thematic boxed sets of the DVDs, ya know!) Not for nothing, this is also the motivation for the auction...

Anyway, I have no interest in even watching these. If they bring more young folks to the show, great. And it is nice to know that good old original Trek is running in broadcast again... But Trek thoroughly won my love on a 19-inch b/w TV with fuzzy rabbit-ear reception - due to the intelligence of stories, not the quality of its effects. And let's recall that the effects *were* great in their time: my way of honoring it is to respect the push-the-envelope efforts of the folks who killed themselves getting the show ready to air each Thursday night back in the 60s! It's a huge disservice to *them* to replace the effects shots...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot