Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

Doh!

One Too Many
I hate to say this, but I agree with Lucas on this one. I wouldn't want to see James Bond or Sherlock Holmes tackle space aliens either.

Giant spiders, on the other hand...

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He'd have to be investigating an old Mayan temple or something that held some kind of alien carcass.

There's no reason for him to go after living "little green men". He's an archeologist, not a rocket scientist.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Maybe he digs up one of the tripods from WaroftheWorlds?

Seriously, Spielberg hasnt been shy about going for scripts that he didnt really like that much. It was written that he's doing JurassicPark4 cuz he found a script that far better thn Jurassicpark3 & realizes he shouldnt have had that movie made...
I cant admit to really liking his last 4 or 5 movies.....

Doh! said:
I hate to say this, but I agree with Lucas on this one. I wouldn't want to see James Bond or Sherlock Holmes tackle space aliens either. Giant spiders, on the other hand...

There was a B 50's Monster movie where either Jesse James or maybe it was Billy the Kid, went up against Dracula.

I'd like to see Bonaza go up against Jurassic Park.

Superman versus Bewitched.

Lost in Space versus Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im worried about prequels in general.

This 'new' Star Trek movie strikes fear in me. Have they learned nothing from Enterprise?

Starfleet academy in those days, eh? I wonder if all the gals will be in go-go boots. lol

LD

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
There was a B 50's Monster movie where either Jesse James or maybe it was Billy the Kid, went up against Dracula.

Billy the Kid versus Dracula (1966)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060168/

You'll want to add this one too:

Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060558/

Don't try to drink anything during both films, or you run the risk of choking on your soda while laughing.

jake431

Practically Family
Lady Day said:

This 'new' Star Trek movie strikes fear in me. Have they learned nothing from Enterprise?

Starfleet academy in those days, eh? I wonder if all the gals will be in go-go boots. lol

LD

I hope so. If they're gonna do a prequel, I hope the women are wearing uniforms that at least look like they'll become what they wore on the series.

Also, in terms of who should play Kirk, I guess Damon is a pretty good choice - Shatner will probably be flatter by the implied comparison, and, so others have noted, Damon can actually act, he's got pretty good comedic timing and he's the kind of actor who might draw new asses into the seats just on name recognition alone.

What I dislike about Prequels is the lack of creativity they sometimes show - it's more about flushing out old plots than creating new stories. Still, if it's done right, it can be very good. I mean, the prequel sequences of Godfather II were fantastic. But then sometimes you get Ep 1, so it's a mixed bag.

Fingers crossed...

-Jake

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:

LD

Actually, this idea has been around for almost a decade. Years ago, SHatner had said he had looked forward to an "Academy" film which would show them all meeting & bonding & then showing them in their elder status still together. But the fans erupted for fear that the original actors would be elbowed out.
When the "Academy" movie moves forward now w/ this whole new team of writers & producers, lets hope it maintains the style of Trek as a movie faithful to the old series & NOT like the Mission Impossible films which really have nothing to do with the old `60s show. Summer crockbuster junk.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Hollywood needs to stop with the remakes and reimaginings.
Someone must have an interesting story out there to tell...

We've been in the remake frenzy for nearly 10 years now. Just when you think they've run out of material, they dredge up another classic to ruin.

I think Hollywood's trying to repackage itself or bring back bits and pieces of its golden eras('30s, late '60s - early '70s). The culture as a whole is of course failing at this attempt since it lacks - generally speaking - the substance and raw craftsmanship that made the classics great.

Somebody is bound to start remaking Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns once Clint kicks off and doesn't have anything to say about it.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:

Jesse james met Dracula's Daughter and Billy the Kid versed (versusssed?) Dracula, both in 1966. These films were directed by William "One Shot" Beaudine whose biography I set about writing almost ten years ago. I haven't finished yet. I got distracted. He surely had one of the longest careers in Hollywood spanning from the early teens all the way to the mid-seventies, and he had some major career ups and downs. The western horror schlock named above was obviously one of his careeer highs. I mean really, who remembers Sparrows these days?

Okay, back to George Lucas...

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
I'd like to see Bonaza go up against Jurassic Park.

Rent "Valley of the Gwangi"! Harryhausen’s forgotten film! I actually had a coloring book from that movie when I was a kid, must of been released as a promo at the same time. Pretty rare to do that pre Star Wars.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
J. M. Stovall said:
Rent "Valley of the Gwangi"! Harryhausen’s forgotten film! I actually had a coloring book from that movie when I was a kid, must of been released as a promo at the same time. Pretty rare to do that pre Star Wars.

I had the same colouring book. And the comic. I loved that movie as a kid.

Dimiyuri

New in Town
Personally I can't wait too. I've always loved Indiana Jones movies and Star Trek XI in 2008.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MrBern said:
the latest Lucas interview
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2006/11/george_lucas_ha.html

he'd rathr make TV than movies.

I get a laugh out of these two-bit media commentators who try to deride Lucas at every turn, and yet who clearly have more than a healthy understanding of characters and plots of the movie franchise he created. If Lucas' work is so awful to them, how come they so generously sprinkle their spiels with references to Death Stars, asteroid fields, midi-chlorians etc? Sure seems like this hack's watched the movies a few dozen times to me!

Both Star Wars trilogies generated hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office, consolidating Lucas' position as a force independent of Hollywood's comventional studio set-up. I guess there's some folks in Tinsel Town who don't like that very much.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
I'll jsut say one thing about GeorgeLucas.
Empire StrikeBack was arguably the best directed of all the StarWars films. And it was not directed by Lucas.

Defend the prequels all you like. The Fx & lightsabre duels are awesome, but I've never seen such awful romance scenes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko