Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Matt Deckard said:
1557461323_b27ce64cfc.jpg
Dax_in_Uniform_der_2265er.jpg

Yes but T'pol's uniform is wrong!
Boots tunic... it all.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
Yes but T'pol's uniform is wrong!
I have to agree.
look at the collar.
The 21st century UPN repro on T'pol is a flat, plunging Vneck.
1557461323_b27ce64cfc.jpg

The TOS collar is a raised ledge & offcenter, pointing to the heart.
Heres Crewwoman Tamura , her `60's uniform is identical to the `90s repro on Dax.
1557736169_dd098d10ce.jpg

trialsntribbles-36.jpg

Kirk%2C_Spock%2C_Sisko_and_Dax.jpg

again
Janice_Rand_TOS.jpg

and again
Spock_and_Uhura.jpg

even the animated series depicted the costume properly
759px-Uhura2269.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
But that T'Pol was in an Alternate Universe AND an earlier time! Her 'dress' didn't have to have the same neck/whatever as TOS. Our Military uniforms have changed over the years, I see NO problem with the uniform that T'Pol is wearing having a different neck. :confused:

Josephine

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
The uniform was from a future ship that came from TOS universe and because of that the uniform T'Pol was wearing should have been from the era and style of TOS.

::face palm:: my bad. :eek:

Maybe the Defiant was trying out new styles of uniforms? lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
The uniform was from a future ship that came from TOS universe and because of that the uniform T'Pol was wearing should have been from the era and style of TOS.

Yes, it was the lost starhip from the 3rd season episode TheTholianWeb. Interesting homage.

ThirdSeasonTOS is often disparaged. This was a topnotch episode.

This Enterprise MirrorDarly episode, did do a nice job w/ some details.
When Archer's team first enters the dead ship's bridge, all the bodies are laid out exactly as they had been found by Kirk & Spock.
USS_Defiant_%28NCC-1764%29_bridge.jpg

this is kooky, either a joke, or a hack, found this in the startrek.com gallery of photos.
320x240.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
I'm sure LPs are only a little less technologically advanced than 23rd century people using "microtapes." lol I'm so glad they've made no effort whatsoever to retcon that, nor the loud processing noises made by the "23rd century" ship computer when calculating. Love vintage Trek.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They will need to portray young Kirk as agressive, fast thinking and confident in his abilities of the era. You know like that epidsode where they talk about his Academy test with the Whatchamacallit Maru that no one could beat. Young Kirk re-programmed the computer so he could beat it. That sort of gutsy, brash, devil may care attitude is what theyll need to create.

And since real Navy captains are different personalities just as fictional space captains are we have seen conservative and prudent battle strategy and we have seen bold and agressive ones turn the tide in combat by sheer guts and blood.

I hope they do well that's all.:)
BORG2.gif

Jovan

Suspended
Twitch said:
They will need to portray young Kirk as agressive, fast thinking and confident in his abilities of the era. You know like that epidsode where they talk about his Academy test with the Whatchamacallit Maru that no one could beat. Young Kirk re-programmed the computer so he could beat it. That sort of gutsy, brash, devil may care attitude is what theyll need to create.

And since real Navy captains are different personalities just as fictional space captains are we have seen conservative and prudent battle strategy and we have seen bold and agressive ones turn the tide in combat by sheer guts and blood.

I hope they do well that's all.:)
BORG2.gif
Star Trek II. :)

Edward

Bartender
carebear said:
A little off topic, but do my Star Trek story LP's have any value?

I think they have a little value on the collector's circuit. I've seen original pressings of Shatner's solo LPs fetch reasonable prices on eBay before now, I think - mind you, there are those who would argue that their artistic value is a whole other animal. lol Personally, I loved what I've heard of those for comedic value, but hey... :)

Edward

Bartender
MrBern said:
Well there were actually THREE actors chosen, not just 'Scotty'. I was trying to add to Edward's post by adding Sulu & 'Nero' to the mix. Didnt mean to imply that Edward was incorrect. I wholeheartedly THANK Jovan for all his diligence in this matter.

I'm familiar w/ Pegg, he co-wrote & starred in HotFuzz, which was probably the funniest movie to come out this year.

he sure doesnt look like Scotty.
pegg-auto.jpg

Yip, I got where you were going with that. Pegg doesn't immediately spring to mind as a lookalike, but then I remember saying that about the guys playing Fred and Barney in the original Flintstones film, and they turne them out as dead ringers. I think a little lacking on the lookalike front is acceptable, but with characters as well established and indeed iconic as Scotty, the closer they can make him look the better, obiviously. Of course, there's a lot they can get away with if the characterisation and mannerisms are all there - those are at least as important as looking right (see: Elvis impersonators).

Jovan

Suspended
Big budget doesn't always mean great things, but J.J. seems to know how to spend it well and not overdo things. MI:III comes to mind immediately as a good example. Great action, but none of those ridiculous CGI camera angles and bullet time ripoffs we've seen too much of lately. Kinda like the last Bond film, as well.

Edward

Bartender
Jovan said:
Big budget doesn't always mean great things,

Isn't that the truth.... Titanic and the Star Wars prequels spring immediately to mind. Really for me it all comes down to the creative team, good script, characters, etc etc. Bearing in mind that without TOS's success, we'd not still be talking Trek today, and it was hardly big-budget stuff. Actually, that was its whole charm for me: the inventive ways in which they used the old movie sets they had available to build stories around, be that gangsters, Nazis, Native Americans.... genius. The problem I have with most modern Hollywood is that it's so dumbed down and based on the "throw big money at it, lots of effects, and it has to be good." To me, it's a chicken and egg situation as to whether Hollywood merely meets expectations, or whether it is responsible for creating those low expectations in the first place. Trek always seems to have had a good team behind it, so I'd be reasonably unconcerned about any "danger" of them bringing out something sub par. Just so long as they don't come up with another dodgy theme tune like the Enterprise song... :p

Jovan

Suspended
The theme never particularly bothered me...

I actually think a huge budget can ruin some things -- the filmmakers get too complacent and don't realize that placing some artificial restrictions on yourself can actually help a tonne. The Star Wars prequels were okay, but nearly as great as the original movies. While I was fine with the space battles, it was the CGI "stunt doubles" and other such nonsense that really bothered me... just because they could afford it. They use stunt doubles for a reason, George, because it looks real!

Edward

Bartender
Qwkslvr said:
Who's idea was it to use a song with lyrics sung by an over-the-hill rocker anyway.:eek: I've never seen enterprise simply because I cant make it through the theme song.

I couldn't honestly tell yuo who it was who sung it.... it just sounded cloying and overly sentimental to me, and didn't fit at all with all the other themes. I think the TNG theme was a strong one- sounded good, fit right, was its own thing and yet 'felt' like it fitted in with the TOS theme. All the other spin-offs in the Trek universe had themes which had their own identity, and yet fitted in with the others, felt like part of the same album, so to speak. and then this radical departure.... odd to begin with, but I don't think it was the difference - it was just the fact it was bad that did it!

I've never seen more than a few minutes of Enterprise - was just never on on a channel I have at a time I was in. Pity..... it looked quite a good show, dodgy theme aside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda