Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
That probably isn't the best pic to judge, however. I'm pretty sure with a shave, the right hair and the proper dialect coach, he'll be well on his way to being our beloved Scot. Minus the paunch he started to develop in TOS. ;)

I really think that Scotty was fairly normal size and weight until the second Star Trek movie. I don't really have time to photographically back this up though.

jake431

Practically Family
Edward said:
I couldn't honestly tell yuo who it was who sung it.... it just sounded cloying and overly sentimental to me, and didn't fit at all with all the other themes. I think the TNG theme was a strong one- sounded good, fit right, was its own thing and yet 'felt' like it fitted in with the TOS theme. All the other spin-offs in the Trek universe had themes which had their own identity, and yet fitted in with the others, felt like part of the same album, so to speak. and then this radical departure.... odd to begin with, but I don't think it was the difference - it was just the fact it was bad that did it!

I've never seen more than a few minutes of Enterprise - was just never on on a channel I have at a time I was in. Pity..... it looked quite a good show, dodgy theme aside.

The Next Generation theme was from (I believe) the first Motion picture - if not that, one of the other original series movies. It was before the Next Generation regardless.

-Jake

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Qwkslvr said:
Who's idea was it to use a song with lyrics sung by an over-the-hill rocker anyway.:eek: I've never seen enterprise simply because I cant make it through the theme song.

Agreed.
Sadly, the producers were quoted as not getting why the fans were so against the song. Perhaps an indication why Paramount let them all go.
And really, it was against Roddenberry's earliest ideas about keeping trek suspended in the future by not dating it w/ contemporary music.

Frankly, it was awful to score images of Chuck Yeagar & Alan Shepard with an easy listening, whimpy song.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I always thought the song was godawful, but in hindsight, I understand why they did it: They wanted you to immediately know that this new series was DIFFERENT from all the previous ones. That's also why it was initially called just "Enterprise"... though after a couple of years they quietly renamed it "Star Trek: Enterprise".

I pretty much hated the show throughout its run, mostly because there was NOTHING new about it: they were the same technobabble-driven plots as on Voyager, and despite being set a hundred years before TOS, Enterprise's look and technology was MUCH too advanced. Oh, there were a few episodes I enjoyed, but overall, it was just more proof that Trek was seriously TIRED.

But now that all the fan-forum shouting is over, I occasionally see the show's reruns on Sci-Fi and find them to be surprisingly watchable!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
Agreed.
Sadly, the producers were quoted as not getting why the fans were so against the song. Perhaps an indication why Paramount let them all go.
And really, it was against Roddenberry's earliest ideas about keeping trek suspended in the future by not dating it w/ contemporary music.

Frankly, it was awful to score images of Chuck Yeagar & Alan Shepard with an easy listening, whimpy song.

That whole Enterprise intro seemed like some bad cholesterol drug commercial.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
mirror darkly theme music

Since we're discussing the awful Enterprise theme, heres the only episodes where they used an alternate song. For their homage to the TOS Mirror, Mirror episode. Accordingly, the historical opening images are changed to a litany of conquest.

MirrorDArklyIntro on youtube

here someone has dubbed the dark music over the images of the original intro
Redub on youtube

and for comparison, a redub of the original themesong over the dark images of the MirrorDArkly intro
Redub w/ wimpy music on youtube

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Yip, I got where you were going with that. Pegg doesn't immediately spring to mind as a lookalike, but then I remember saying that about the guys playing Fred and Barney in the original Flintstones film, and they turne them out as dead ringers. I think a little lacking on the lookalike front is acceptable, but with characters as well established and indeed iconic as Scotty, the closer they can make him look the better, obiviously. Of course, there's a lot they can get away with if the characterisation and mannerisms are all there - those are at least as important as looking right (see: Elvis impersonators).

Sure a dark wig can go a long way.

I must concede that initial on the set pix of GretchenMol filming NotoriousBettiePage seemed underwhelming, but she pulled off a fine performance for the big screen.

Jovan

Suspended
J. M. Stovall said:
I really think that Scotty was fairly normal size and weight until the second Star Trek movie. I don't really have time to photographically back this up though.
It seemed to me he was getting a bit of a tummy into the third season of TOS, and you really started noticing in the first movie.

As for lookalikes and act-alikes, I only really care if they nail the essence of the character. To have someone impersonating Shatner and Nimoy down to the finest detail would be disastrous. A good example of someone who didn't look or act exactly as the person they were portraying but still got the essence of them is the great Denzel Washington as Malcolm X. A fine performance.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
vip-01.jpg

Cheers!

Edward

Bartender
jake431 said:
The Next Generation theme was from (I believe) the first Motion picture - if not that, one of the other original series movies. It was before the Next Generation regardless.

-Jake

Ah! I didn't know that, cool. It may well be from the first film, then, as that's the only one I think I've never managed to see. I remember it coming out (the cereal-box tie-ins, and all those images of "the bald girl" everywhere. My folks were never into sci-fi, so it's not something that we actually went to see, and it rarely gets on the TV.... it's like the unmentioned child of the franchise).

MrBern said:
Sure a dark wig can go a long way.

And it wouldn't be the first time that the Trek crew had encountered a hairpiece. ;)

I must concede that initial on the set pix of GretchenMol filming NotoriousBettiePage seemed underwhelming, but she pulled off a fine performance for the big screen.

She looked amazing. I mean, granted I have a thing for the Bettie look anyhow, but.... yes, in the film, I thought she was great. Looked close to the real thing, and while I really don't know how close she was to the real Bettie in character performance, she was certainly convincing. Not a bad little film - I think a little shallow in parts, there's probably a great gritty film to be made about Bettie and how certain experiences shaped her (abusive first husband, being sexually assaulted, etc), but nevertheless I liked what they did.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yes, TNG used Jerry Goldsmith's theme from Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but in a slightly revised, more forceful arrangement.

And I was really surprised by that Bettie Page film - it was MUCH better than I expected it to be.

Jovan

Suspended
Some people thought she was portrayed as a little too naive. I'm sure she knew what she was doing and by extension what men (and some women naturally) got from it. Perhaps the "naiveté" was actually just innocence in knowing she was doing no wrong. I certainly don't think she was. What amazed me the most is how she took the court case. Like it scared her into becoming modest again. I don't agree with it, but it was her decision to make and I respect that.

Okay! Going back on topic, I'm pretty sure the score is exactly the same. What may make you think it's more forceful is the synthesized version of Alexander Courage's opening coming before Goldsmith's powerful theme. In the original movie, there was no such buildup. It came fast, forcefully, and got more so from the first title. Now, one can argue that there /was/ such a buildup in the overture, but there was a pause between it and the titles.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I still believe that the TNG version of the theme is orchestrated (if not exactly "arranged") a bit differently than the original TMP soundtrack recording. But it's really no big deal... I'd have to listen to them side-by-side, but I'm not one of those completist Trekkers who has every soundtrack CD and/or every episode and film. (In fact, I have very little Trek on VHS, and none on DVD. And I only own one Trek soundtrack CD.)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Enterprise went the wrong way for me. Where I was looking forward to a new ST to go forward into the like the 27th century the prequel was too slow getting going.

It was like 10 episodes where the ship was portrayed like a used 1982 Dodge Aires K car in reliability and quality.:mad:

Jovan

Suspended
Hey, it did get the NX designation for a reason. :p

Latest word is that Karl Urban is in talks to be McCoy. Hmm... I wonder what the mock-up of him will be like. And Simon Pegg. Actually, why are Kirk and Spock the only ones to have mockups made of them in their roles? :(

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Strange said:
I still believe that the TNG version of the theme is orchestrated (if not exactly "arranged") a bit differently than the original TMP soundtrack recording. But it's really no big deal... I'd have to listen to them side-by-side, but I'm not one of those completist Trekkers who has every soundtrack CD and/or every episode and film. (In fact, I have very little Trek on VHS, and none on DVD. And I only own one Trek soundtrack CD.)

Actually, I'm the same way. I prefer to watch it when it airs. I dont need to own it. But I do have TheCAGE on vhs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR