Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
But TNG isn't TOS.

The thing that would tick me off more than anything else I think would be if they redesigned the Old Enterprise. She doesn't need to be redesigned! Matt Jefferies made her plain on the outside for a reason. Of all the characters in Star Trek, in all its incarnations, she's my favorite.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Nick D said:
But TNG isn't TOS.

The thing that would tick me off more than anything else I think would be if they redesigned the Old Enterprise. She doesn't need to be redesigned! Matt Jefferies made her plain on the outside for a reason. Of all the characters in Star Trek, in all its incarnations, she's my favorite.

I understand that - I'm just saying that *if* you're going to redesign the ship, that's not a bad design. I kinda like the blue glow as an homage to the TNG era.

Personally, I don't think they need to redesign the ship, either - just make it more detailed for movie use.

As for favorites, mine will always be the 1701 refit and -A from the movies. When I think of the Enterprise, that's what I think of. The original TOS ship is a close second, followed by the -E. Never cared for the -D of TNG, myself.

Jovan

Suspended
Like I said, the hull plating and detailed nacelle lights give it immense scale beyond even the Remastered ship... but you just CANNOT screw with the basic shape like that. That's hallowed ground they'd be messing with. I don't mind TNG's ships at all, but what I loved about the TOS era ships and bridge design was that the simpler things could operate and look, the more advanced they must be. Nick D has a point about that.

That's exactly why I thought Enterprise, while having some good episodes, really missed the mark on the production design. The hull should have looked like it was really riveted together with individual plates and gritty, and the interior more cluttered and with more manual controls (I think a joystick for the navigator would have been in order, for instance), ESPECIALLY considering this was an NX designated ship -- experimental. Hence, as time went by and things looked more simple, you know their production methods must have advanced greatly in 100 years and they worked out everything in the experimental Enterprise NX-01 and Columbia NX-02.

Jovan

Suspended
Holy crap, he's a dead ringer. I was worried for a second they didn't get the eyebrows right; it turned out just to be an overhead shadow. Isn't he so cute in his Vulcan garb?

Josephine

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Holy crap, he's a dead ringer. I was worried for a second they didn't get the eyebrows right; it turned out just to be an overhead shadow. Isn't he so cute in his Vulcan garb?

A number of my LJ friends are squeeing over him as we speak. In fact, I think one girl blew an ovary. ;)

Josephine

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Why is it Spock is so sexy to women anyways? Discuss. :)

Hmmm... Maybe the confidence he seems to have? Or that he's such an enigma? Or the 'challenge' of breaking though that cool exterior to the roiling emotions that lie beneath? (I wanted Spock to 'give into his emotions' like Bones was always hounding him to; Spock would in all likelihood rip Bone's @$#%& head off. I know I would have. Crikey, that character was annoying.)

Dunno. I suppose it's the similar to the reason I adore Teal'c on Stargate.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Nick D said:
But TNG isn't TOS.

Actually Jefferies redesigned her for TrekPhaseII, the `70s series that was aborted in favor of the MotionPicture. There were also shuttlecraft resigns.
His redisgn is very close to what was used in that film.

Looks like this movie wont bask in nostalgia but put a new spin on making trek look young & vital.

A shame, but I'll wait til the premiere before I laud or bash it.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Like I said, the hull plating and detailed nacelle lights give it immense scale beyond even the Remastered ship... but you just CANNOT screw with the basic shape like that. That's hallowed ground they'd be messing with. I don't mind TNG's ships at all, but what I loved about the TOS era ships and bridge design was that the simpler things could operate and look, the more advanced they must be. Nick D has a point about that.

That's exactly why I thought Enterprise, while having some good episodes, really missed the mark on the production design. The hull should have looked like it was really riveted together with individual plates and gritty, and the interior more cluttered and with more manual controls (I think a joystick for the navigator would have been in order, for instance), ESPECIALLY considering this was an NX designated ship -- experimental. Hence, as time went by and things looked more simple, you know their production methods must have advanced greatly in 100 years and they worked out everything in the experimental Enterprise NX-01 and Columbia NX-02.

Actually, I hate the idea of a joystick in trek.
TomParis asked from one in Voyager's DeltaFlyer. And I think Ryker had one in a film to launch torpedos or something in a combat scene.
Style-wise, it flies in th face of what Roddenberry established.

StarWars did a nice job of bringing in prequels that jibed well enuff w/ the original. A shame no one at Trek is that clever or maybe simply, the higher ups didnt really care or understand the difference.
-b

Jovan

Suspended
Josephine said:
I found him very self righteous. [huh]
Sure, but that was the point. ;)

MrBern: Yes, I know, but I meant exclusively controlled by it. Honestly... Roddenberry was wayyy too overprotective of Trek at times. If it were up to him, more movies like The Motion Picture as opposed to The Wrath of Khan would have been made. :confused: He got hung up on little things like Kirk shooting the Ceti eel rather than scooping it up for research (Wouldn't you if your worst adversary used slimy little centipedes to control your friends?) and the more militaristic costuming, jargon, and routines.

MrBern said:
Actually, I have the idea of a joystick in trek.
TomParis asked from one in Voyager's DeltaFlyer. And I think Ryker had one in a film to launch torpedos or something in a combat scene.
Style-wise, it flies in th face of what Roddenberry established.
I think the stick, er "Manual Steering Column" was in ST: Insurrection.

Sticks work better on small maneuverable ships like shuttlepods/runabouts/fighters, not big hulking ones IMO, if there were any "manual" it shoulda been a wheel, rather than Riker "flying" the Enterprise like he's Maverick with an oversized Tomcat...

Jovan

Suspended
True, but I think it made sense to have a backup manual control, whatever its design. You can't exactly fit a wheel into the captain's chair like that PC game controller he used, and I think a wheel would have looked silly anyways.

IIRC, didn't Riker have to stand to use that stick? I'm just envisioning something like the yoke on a B-52 or a 747 or even a modern nuclear sub, not a huge age-of-sail type wheel. And the point about "manual control" is very valid.

I'm surprised they haven't played with vectored thrust, myself...

Jovan

Suspended
I can't quite remember. I seem to remember it coming out the side of his chair for some reason... but understand it isn't a Trek movie I rewatch very often at all. lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Frankly , I think shooting the eel was overkill.
Why shoot a phaser inches from a crewman's head to fry a slug?
Just STEP on it.
And really, trek was about seeking out new life forms, not destroying them.
Mantrap was an early episode, so the SaltVampire dies. But in Devil in theDark, Kirk orders the Horta stopped by any means...til he realizes theres a chance to communicate with it. That was Trek at its best, its not just a mindless monster, its a sentient being that has to be engaged for the benefit of all involved.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
I can't quite remember. I seem to remember it coming out the side of his chair for some reason... but understand it isn't a Trek movie I rewatch very often at all. lol

I think maybe they were trying to do soemthing diffenrt & went for a dramatic moment in engaging this manual control gimmick.

Frankly... it was stupid.
And I really dont understand how initially in TNG, Ryker did all the away missions & Picard stayed on th ship...then somewhere along the way it switched. Ryker got fat & stayed on the bridge & Picard was off examining archaeological digs etc.
Its like the OddCouple, initially Felix was sickly & Oscar robust...but eventually Oscar was out of shape & huffing & puffing from too many cigars & Felix was the one in fine aerobic shape.
The writers run out of ideas & go for a new approach.....

Jovan

Suspended
Well... presumably the eel had crawled a couple of feet away by then (as you don't see Chekov anywhere near it when it disintegrates), but I see your point. It didn't particularly bother me. The one Meyer-ism that was really puzzling to me, however, was all the -- Wait, PURPLE?! Since when??? -- Klingon blood in ST6. And the fact that Starfleet phasers would even create puncture wounds like that to begin with.

In The Man Trap, Kirk expressed regret at having to kill the salt vampire at the end of the episode, if I recall correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda