Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Bern: Yes, I read that in Takei's biography. But he wasn't convinced that was really Shatner from his past experience with him (convincing directors to centre shots on him, cut out other expository stuff with other characters, etc.). He was more convinced that it was him acting like the nurturing, caring director for his own ends. Interesting how karma made it turn out to be the bad apple of the TOS movies. lol

New Voyages' and CBS Digital's presentations of the original Enterprise are far better than the attempts by Abrams' teams so far, IMHO. While I don't care for some of the acting in New Voyages -- not to mention the special effects shots in "In Harm's Way" -- they, overall, get the spirit of original Trek down really well.

Actually I heard Koenig bitch about it a lot.
The flip side of all this is...Shatner was the star of the show. Nimoy made a power play on the series, but the producers told them that Shatner had top billing.
So Shatner had a great sense of what made scenes work. And he wanted it all to revolve around Kirk as Hero.
Takei wanted his character written over to a new ship. Made no sense to SHatner to have Sulu elswhere. So he railed against that, probably not realizing that Takei was hoping for his own franchise.

And really, I dont doubt the reports that the directors jsut never felt confident in the co-stars to deliver more than a few lines.

But then again, in looking at how well MajellBarret didnt on ST:TNG, they have admitted that she had much more to work with & arose to the occasion.

Jovan

Suspended
It was perfectly fine for me. Now, the reviewer is losing his eyesight or something, because the visuals were NOT muddier than the original by any stretch.

EDIT: Further thoughts: If he was dissatisfied, it's up to him to let the theatre know. Then he can complain about if they refused.

Shearer

Practically Family
Domo Arigato, Mr. Mugatu

2050548325_41cfbba95e.jpg

Boing Boing posted an article today concerning Star Trek's cheesy creatures. Not cheesy, I say! Rather, they're awesome!

Enjoy!

(Link to original Wired article.)

Jovan

Suspended
They're a lot better than some of the attempts at CGI creatures today. Need I mention Resident Evil? The spaghetti-covered dogs were dumb, but much of an improvement over that one thing that randomly busts out of a tank incredibly... unconvincingly. At least in Enterprise, they modeled the Gorn onto a live double wrestling with Scott Bakula. Other TV series don't do it very well at all, owing to the budget.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
no no no look at it....its just like how its styled in the pic you have of Nimoy in your avy.... Man, I thought he was lookin' good this season with his haircut in Heros, but I always did have a thing for Vulcans and Andriods.... mmm mmm good!!

Jovan

Suspended
I know, but what I'm saying is that The Cage suggests he had different hair during his younger years. (Check the picture I linked.) Then again, maybe this scene doesn't take place when he's in his 20s to begin with.

I'm just nitpicking anyways... the eyebrows, ears, and even haircut were very much a work in progress from what Nimoy said in his autobiography. It's safe to say that it's just an aesthetic upgrade, much like Worf's continually more detailed forehead in TNG.

Jovan

Suspended
Just a warning, the pilot and first episode aren't up to par with 2 and 3. Some of the actors and especially the accents of the first guys to play Scotty and Chekov are atrocious. It surprised me that even some Trek veterans they cameoed weren't at their best. No offence to Mr. Cawley. The last two show they're taking it a lot more seriously in the right areas, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW