Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
the sad thing is I'm not really an old school fan, I catch an episode when I can, saw all the movies, it's not really fandom speaking, I just wish companies had some sort of integrity when they remade/revived series.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
bobalooba said:
the sad thing is I'm not really an old school fan, I catch an episode when I can, saw all the movies, it's not really fandom speaking, I just wish companies had some sort of integrity when they remade/revived series.

Ah, well its a question, if youre doing a movie about the future, do you update it with the latest science & preceptions, or do you turn it into a campy period piece with outdated special effects?

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
that is a good point but by the time the period rolls around we'll be wrong about things anyway so why not make it the way fans would like to see it?

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Oh I wasn't serious it was a nit-picky sort of joke. I'll watch an ep when I have time

I do agree on the pc morals, I saw an episode of next gen b4 I saw an episode of TOS and I loved tos, on the first one I saw not only did kirk beam down with the crew but he punched a guy in the face. I remember thinking "Oh my god, this guy is so cool, that's the kind of stunning I wanna see!"

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
bobalooba said:
Oh I wasn't serious it was a nit-picky sort of joke. I'll watch an ep when I have time

I do agree on the pc morals, I saw an episode of next gen b4 I saw an episode of TOS and I loved tos, on the first one I saw not only did kirk beam down with the crew but he punched a guy in the face. I remember thinking "Oh my god, this guy is so cool, that's the kind of stunning I wanna see!"

218477037_9a70e6817b.jpg

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
Otherwise you can rent all the Next Gen you want with their PC morals and different foreheaded humans posing as aliens.

I also feel the lack of spock really hurt the show, I actually like picard and some of the other crewmembers but when the closest thing you have to spock is Data you know your show's not gonna be great.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
It is if you like Star Trek! It's the freshest Real Trek we've got!

Otherwise you can rent all the Next Gen you want with their PC morals and different foreheaded humans posing as aliens.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D :D :D

Hoooooo!...

I like this guy.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
... different foreheaded humans posing as aliens.

You noticed that too, eh? I was always grumbling about that to friends, how they would just stick a blob of putty on the forehead or bridge of the nose, shape it to their whim, and presto, a new "alien"! Give me a break!

Brinybay

Practically Family
bobalooba said:
I also feel the lack of spock really hurt the show, I actually like picard and some of the other crewmembers but when the closest thing you have to spock is Data you know your show's not gonna be great.

I always got the impression that they took Spock's character and split him between Worf and Data. I never really cared for TNG, having grown up watching the original series on a b&w vacuum tube TV, but I did like Marina Sirtis, she was a babe! I think my thoughts would scare the bejeezuz out of her! Or maybe not, who knows? (Don't go there Greg, stop it!)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Brinybay said:
I always got the impression that they took Spock's character and split him between Worf and Data. I never really cared for TNG, having grown up watching the original series on a b&w vacuum tube TV, but I did like Marina Sirtis, she was a babe! I think my thoughts would scare the bejeezuz out of her! Or maybe not, who knows? (Don't go there Greg, stop it!)

The torn between two worlds dilemma.
Then came Odo in DS9.
Then to pull Voyager outof the toilet, came 7of9, torn between two worlds, limited emotions & a wealth of alien information, but easy to look at.

Funny how the writers couldnt devise a good alien nemesis for Voyager, so they finally had to go back to NextGen's Borg....
And then the Voyager finale was like a carbon copy of previous time jump episodes grafted onto the BorgQueen sequences from ST:FirstContact.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
family guy

incidentally:

FAMILY GUY: "NOT ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN"

Fox has released an image from "Not All Dogs Go to Heaven," the Sunday, March 29 episode of Family Guy.

Here's how the network describes the episode:

"The Griffin family heads to the annual Quahog Star Trek convention, but Stewie blows a fuse when he doesn¹t get a chance to ask his favorite Star Trek: The Next Generation cast members any questions. He devises a plan, builds a transporter and beams the entire cast to his bedroom so they can spend a fun-filled day together in Quahog."

Next Generation guest-stars include Brent Spiner, Denise Crosby, Gates McFadden, Jonathon Frakes, LeVar Burton, Marina Sirtis, Michael Dorn, Patrick Stewart and Wil Wheaton.
familyguy.jpg

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
Funny how the writers couldnt devise a good alien nemesis for Voyager, so they finally had to go back to NextGen's Borg....
And then the Voyager finale was like a carbon copy of previous time jump episodes grafted onto the BorgQueen sequences from ST:FirstContact.

I didn't like the borg a whole lot either, pardon my unenlightened way of thinking but I liked it when klingons and romulans were bad with almost no exception, I also just found out that "the enemy within" (the ep where kirk is split in half by the teleport) was written by richard matheson, the same guy who wrote tons of twilight zones and I Am Legend and tons of other cool stuff. Just a shameless plug/nifty tidbit.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
bobalooba said:
I didn't like the borg a whole lot either, pardon my unenlightened way of thinking but I liked it when klingons and romulans were bad with almost no exception, I also just found out that "the enemy within" (the ep where kirk is split in half by the teleport) was written by richard matheson, the same guy who wrote tons of twilight zones and I Am Legend and tons of other cool stuff. Just a shameless plug/nifty tidbit.

Matheson's great...not to mention he wrote th original NightStalker tv show pilot, as well as Spielberg's DUEL. And the very creepy Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black chased by the littl african doll. Thats a lot of really worthwhile `70s TV.

The Borg...I suppose it was a good way to get zombie terminators into trek.
They seemed to fit given that Kirk dealt with plenty of wayward robots & of course ST: TheMotionPicture's had a machine/artificial intelligence biting humanity on the butt.

Is it me, or did The Klingons totally overshadow the Romulans.
I always thought the devious Cadassian plots of DS9 couldve easily been Romulan schemes. Even the movie Nemesis brought in the Remans to overshadow the Roms....

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I'm not saying the borg wouldn't fit, just that they weren't my favorite. As for the Romulans I always thought it would make more sense if they were more like the antogonist of ST:5, vulcans which rejected their culture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana