Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Lawsuit on the edge of forever....

BTW, Harlan Ellison is sueing Paramount over the merchandising for the one episode(Possibly the best episode ever) he wrote. Seems theres a talking Xmas ornament of his Guardian of forever...
http://www.trektoday.com/content/2009/03/ellison-sues-paramount.html

2317435352_c343613a95.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
As for the aliens.
Come on Next Gen!!!! It's supposed to be sci fi. It's one of the only shows I knew that took the science fiction out of Science Fiction.

You had the beasts and the monsters in the original. It was a mix between twilight zone and Forbidden planet with miniskirts on the female crew to show that the future had accepted the women's movement.

Then Next Gen comes along and they toss out the mystery and the aliens and the skin. How many times did Kirk or Sulu get their uniforms torn in a battle? the Next Gen guys and girls must have had some kind of allergy to air... though nowadays we are moving toward a more puritan attitude toward things and that is completely visible in Next Gen.

The hope for this Trek is that they might bring back a little more of the racy attitude and political incorrectness that is part of real life.

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
It is if you like Star Trek! It's the freshest Real Trek we've got!

Otherwise you can rent all the Next Gen you want with their PC morals and different foreheaded humans posing as aliens.
On the other hand, TOS artists often wouldn't bother to make-up their aliens (e.g. Klingons, Clint Howard [AKA Balok], Trelane of Gothos) or would thow a couple of antennae on their foreheads (e.g. Andorians) or points on their ears (Vulcans/Romulans.)
Every once in a while, they'd go all out and create a gem like the Gorn:
StarTrek-Gorn.jpg

or this cute little guy from the episode "Shore Leave."
STShoreLeave.jpg

And then, of course, there were the pizza aliens.
The Pizza aliens ranged from the flying pizzas of Deneva:
STOpAnnihlate.jpg

To the giant pizza/shag carpet hybrid pf Janus VI:
STDevilDark.jpg

I have always enjoyed TOS, but it was so campy. And TNG PC? Surely not just because Picard wasn't sexing up or beating up every other alien that crossed his path like Kirk was? I mean, sure, I missed the short skirts of TOS, but that was more unrealistic than the Gorn costume!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BlindeMan said:
On the other hand, TOS artists often wouldn't bother to make-up their aliens (e.g. Klingons, Clint Howard [AKA Balok], Trelane of Gothos) or would thow a couple of antennae on their foreheads (e.g. Andorians) or points on their ears (Vulcans/Romulans.)
Every once in a while, they'd go all out and create a gem like the Gorn:

Yeah the Gorn is my fave, BUT youre mistaken about the Klingons. They had make-up to look like Ghengis Khan & mongolians in space. Swarthy makeup, goatees & bifurcated eyebrows. No latex make-up, but back then it was pretty hard to jsut do Spock's ears. TheRabbit I dont mind, it was a direct AliceinWonderland fantasy.
TOS-day_of_the_dove_klingons.png

And Balok had a little bald mask with his costume:
2287980926_a5c4637be2.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
The Inner Kirk

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/garden/19trek.html

article on fans
19trek-600.jpg

19trek.3-500.jpg

19trek.1-650.jpg

For all the labor and money the chair builders expend, they generally don’t park themselves in the captain’s seat for too long.

“It’s not the most comfortable of chairs,” Mr. Veazie said. “The arms are too low and they’re too far apart. Now I know why William Shatner was always leaning forward in it.”

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
MrBern said:
Yeah the Gorn is my fave, BUT youre mistaken about the Klingons. They had make-up to look like Ghengis Khan & mongolians in space. Swarthy makeup, goatees & bifurcated eyebrows. No latex make-up, but back then it was pretty hard to jsut do Spock's ears....

And Balok had a little bald mask with his costume:
You're right. I was overreaching to say they didn't waer make-up. However, a bald cap, some grease paint and fake facial hair were staples of my Halloween when I was around eight, so I tend not to think of these as true professional make-up.

Thanks for the link to the 'Cheeseist trek monsters page.' I'm glad that the flying pizzas of Janus VI made the cut. As ridiculous as they are, they gave me at least one nightmare as a kid.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
At least we got salt monsters and flying pizzas... or were they rubber vomit?

I just see the Next Gen being the show where they were going too far to find the humanity in all creatures (as they said they were trying to do). They said they didn't want blue or green aliens. In effect I think NG was a neutered franchise. Why be out there to find new life if the only life they are aloud to find are mutated humans?

Give me a Mugatu any day! now that's adventure! Kirk faugh monsters! Picard argued with humanoids.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BlindeMan said:
You're right. I was overreaching to say they didn't waer make-up. However, a bald cap, some grease paint and fake facial hair were staples of my Halloween when I was around eight, so I tend not to think of these as true professional make-up.

Thanks for the link to the 'Cheeseist trek monsters page.' I'm glad that the flying pizzas of Janus VI made the cut. As ridiculous as they are, they gave me at least one nightmare as a kid.

Ive read that they originally wanted to do something more like the movie makeup for Klingons back in `66, but it wasnt feasible on their budget. And really, I dont think it was initially intended that the Klingons be a recurring alien, but for whatever reason they became popular.
In one of Roddenberry's failed TVpilots for a sci-fi show in the `70s, there were post-apoc human mutants that did have the bumpy heads. That stuff is like looking at lost trek episodes. You'll see actors from trek episodes, & concepts & characters that would later emerge on TNG as well as Andromeda.

1974:
s2.jpg

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
BTW, jsut to put it into perspective, a couple other monsters & makeup from th 60s.
Twilight zone
PubTThou01.jpg

TimeMachine...
1548870520_c4fd455516.jpg

Outer Limit's robotic/computer glass hand
Demonglasshand.jpg

More Outer Limits
3355007298_610951897a.jpg

good point but I think TOS looked a little campier because it was in color, I don't want to sound racist but purple aliens look dumb! :)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
I just see the Next Gen being the show where they were going too far to find the humanity in all creatures ...

You haven't seen Voyager, have you? Even the Borg got humanized in Voyager.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Nick D said:
You haven't seen Voyager, have you? Even the Borg got humanized in Voyager.

I wouldnt blame that on Voyager.
There was the TNG episode with the captured drone that they named Hugh.

Voyager tried for 3 or 4 years to come up with an interesting Alien adversary...then finally gave up & dragged out the Borg to save the series.

Interesting tho that it became such a female dominated series.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
Interesting tho that it became such a female dominated series.

My wife didn't like Star Trek until Voyager, and I think it was for this reason that she was hooked into it. Now she also likes TNG and Enterprise. She's not as excited about the new movie as I am, but at least she's interested.:)

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana