Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I think all post TOS were fine and I though TOS movie uniforms were snazzy too, It's not that I hate the TOS uniforms I just think they are really dated and thought the others were nicer.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Just Saw It

I just saw a preview screening that ended only minutes ago.

This one's going to be a blockbuster. It has the connection to the original series for us Trekkers, but it stands on its own merits. Snappy pace, beautiful design, charming cast.

I'm ready to see it again.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Heading down to the picture show now! An hour and a half to go...

I don't think I've been this excited for a movie since Return of the Jedi in 1983.

Brad

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Boston Globe said it is the best prequel ever. That's high praise. I cannot wait! Though... I will wait until the crowds die down. I'll probably see it this coming week.

So no spoiler postings!!! Or if you do, please call them well well in advance!

T'anks ;)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
My two teen sons saw it last night. Bran was bored with it, and Antonn (the sci-fi geek) found parts to be amusing but gave it a 'C' overall.

I have no plans to watch it. I wonder if its meant for those who are ingrained in the Trek culture or grew up watching the shows?

The local theaters were only playing it in the evening and the heat of the day (it got pretty hot here) had me off on going out at all.

I am hoping they'll move the showings to the day time, then I'll go.

JennyLou

Practically Family
LocktownDog said:
I have no plans to watch it. I wonder if its meant for those who are ingrained in the Trek culture or grew up watching the shows?
I know a few Trekkers who are dissappointed with it because it strays from the TV series too much and then there are the Trekkers who love it. Even if you do not know much about Star Trek I think it's worth seeing.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
"Captain Kirk will always be William Shatner, and William Shatner will always be Captain Kirk."
– Star Trek's new Captain Kirk Chris Pine, giving props to the original leader of the starship Enterprise, to PEOPLE

JennyLou said:
I know a few Trekkers who are dissappointed with it because it strays from the TV series too much and then there are the Trekkers who love it. Even if you do not know much about Star Trek I think it's worth seeing.
That's the tough thing in trying to keep Star Trek alive, if you do it based totally on the TV series then you're limited in the appeal. If you stray too much then you cut your vision off for the old fans. It has to be a balance while it need to be able to evolve some too in order to be fresh but still accessable to fans and newcomers.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've been a fan since the syndication days of '74, and I loved this movie. It has a couple of problems, but then every Star Trek movie does. My wife, who isn't a Star Trek fan, came out of the theater and said "That was awesome!" We were ready to stay in the theater and watch it again. We might go to the matinee today.

When I first heard they were making this movie as a prequel, I had many concerns, and remained skeptical up until a few months ago. Now, it's great to have our old characters back, and I'm ready for more adventures.

Brad

Crumblecrumb

New in Town
Great fun film. I don’t think you need to be a series fan to enjoy this. In fact from some comments I’ve read here and elsewhere it might help if you’re not. Certainly the first proper ‘event’ movie of the year.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Noon showing

I got out to the noon show! Leonard Nimoy was on The View, this morning but they didnt show any clips. it inspired me to don the redshirt and make an early show to avoid crowds & spoilers and it worked.

I'll lay off discussion til more of you have seen it. I'd hate to be the one who ruins it.

Thumbs up, a good ride. But Id be more psyched if this was leading into a TV show instead of a 2 year wait for the next one.

trekspan.jpg

http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/movies/08trek.html

3111219585_bb99205582.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy