Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Steer HWM

Here's some less-than-stellar photos showing the new seal Aero HWM. Lining is a plain brown twill, sleeves have storm cuffs. No inner pockets.
Beautifully made, soft as butter steer. What do you folks think of the fit? Seems like I lost so much weight that the body feels a little baggy - or is the HWM supposed to lay like this? Let me know - honest op's appreciated :)

IMG_4023.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Seems to me that the jacket is too wide in the shoulders. I could be mistaken, but that's how it looks in the pictures. The shoulder seams should be right over your shoulder bones (acromion). Pics with the jacket zipped up would be helpful - and maybe a side shot, too.

Seems to me that the jacket is too wide in the shoulders. I could be mistaken, but that's how it looks in the pictures. The shoulder seams should be right over your shoulder bones (acromion). Pics with the jacket zipped up would be helpful - and maybe a side shot, too.

I rarely zip up all the way, but when it was, it pulled in on the shoulders more as you'd expect it to. As it is - open - yes, it's wide all over. My thought is that this style is wider, so I dunno. Some of my jackets have the seam on the bone, some over.
Trying to decide whether to keep it. Might just let someone wider have a shot at it. It's new, so someone would enjoy the break-in. We'll see. I'll try it with some different tops to see how I like it. I just don't like jackets that fit like a glove, sans riding jackets.

Thanks for the reply!

IMG_4010.jpg

Last edited:

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
Fit doesn't look to bad for street wear, especially if you end up needing to throw on a couple of layers underneath. Functionality and comfort still count for something in my book. Nice jacket!

warbird

One Too Many
Fit doesn't look to bad for street wear, especially if you end up needing to throw on a couple of layers underneath. Functionality and comfort still count for something in my book. Nice jacket!

I agree, about right for the street. The only jackets that I like to be for fitted are bike jackets. I like a little more wiggle room for casual use.

Thanks guys. It's for casual wear, but now I have a mission to get an Irvin repro, so I might be selling this one to help fund it. Size 48, but it's more a 48+ to me.
PM if interested... :)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Schweeet jacket. But I couldn't help noticing the bright sunshine and greenery behind you. It's snowing here... lucky dog!!! Lookin' good though... gotta get me a black HH soon. I'm jonesin'.

Worf

Chi-Town Co

Familiar Face
Butte, looks like you scored a quality steerhide Aero in excellent shape and great color but unfortunately imho it looks a wee bit too large.. but throw a sweater on and it's probably great... so how's the steer compare to horse? is it as great as they say?

The steer is sweet, and like goat, is ready to wear day-one. I've got enough winter jackets... I could easily wear something heavier under, so that is fine, but...
It's really more like a 50. A year ago and it'd be spot-on. I hate to flip 'er as it's as-new.
Any interest? No point in keeping it if it doesn't look right. Thanks for the honest op's guys. Appreciate that.

* In the classifieds. Asking $600 shipped, CONUS.

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
Body lenght looks perfect for me - this is how I want a HWM - but shoulder looks to roomy...:(
BTW: Have to say you look very sharp after loosing lots of weight :eusa_clap - but Butte - may I suggest now - stay as you are because you're looking good man.

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
Ask Will if he would accept it as a trade-in. That's what they do all the time. Your jacket looks very good so I'm sure that Will would offer you a fair price for it.

BTW: Looking at your belt I can see that you've lost a lot of weight...but it suits you very well!!

If you should fancy a rock solid Chromexcel HH or Wickett & Craig 16 ounce harness leather belt paired with solid stainless steel or raw brass buckles then check out Scott Willis of "Don't mourn, organize!". This guy makes the best belts and leather stuff I've ever handled!! Period!
http://dontmournorganize.wordpress.com/

Jan - you always catch my flaws! lol
I had no belt on, and I grabbed one out of the drawer as my wife was leaving. I wanted some pics so when I put it on, it was an old, "fat belt" and as you pointed out, a mess. I have a nice heavy one, but I'll check the WIllis gear now.
The shirt as well was one I wear to do yard work - a light flannel number, but from "fat me" as well. So much for spur of the moment photography. Not to mention, I had some laser work done on my face and it's all swollen, etc. I should have taken a page out of other's books and blurred it! :)
The jacket. I put on a sweatshirt this AM and it fits with the jacket nicely. However, I don't need another jacket for cool/cold weather so she must go.
I'm really sad too - it's lovely, and the grain (which I will shoot soon) is fantastic. Such a shame. I suppose I could get back to the gym and out on 20 lbs of muscle and make it work this year for fall. I also forgot to mention that I separated my shoulder a few years back. Now that I've lost the weight, it's really noticeable. In typical fashion, it drops off a bit as the bone is no longer in the socket. They don't put them "back" like the good ol' days - they just let them heal as-is. It's a bummer, but I didn't graduate from medical school, so it is what it is...
Off for some coffee. More pics of the jacket and some numbers for potential buyers upcoming. Thanks again guys. Honest feedback is why I'm here. Someone will get a great jacket!

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Thanks for posting butte, the highwayman is such a classic pattern and I think you have the frame to do it justice, sadly I tend to agree with my fellow loungers, I think this one is a smidge too wide in the shoulders.

Body lenght looks perfect for me - this is how I want a HWM - but shoulder looks to roomy...:(
BTW: Have to say you look very sharp after loosing lots of weight :eusa_clap - but Butte - may I suggest now - stay as you are because you're looking good man.

Thanks Windy! No point in keeping something that's not right. So bummed, but looking at the flip side of the coin, someone will get a great jacket and it WILL fit them! All part of the "hunt", which is fun.
Have a great day!

Thanks for posting butte, the highwayman is such a classic pattern and I think you have the frame to do it justice, sadly I tend to agree with my fellow loungers, I think this one is a smidge too wide in the shoulders.

Hey, no problem! All my life I've fought with too-small shoulders and too-short sleeves. Losing the weight and some muscle-mass has dropped my size quite a bit. It's a good lesson for others here that are/have/planning to lose weight. It'll make your wardrobe need a refresh. I'm still getting used to shopping for smaller clothing. The good news is it puts me into a realm where so much more is available to me. That is worth the cost and hassle in the end. Not to mention all my critical stats (blood pressure, etc) are all back to as good as one gets. I recommend it if you're a big guy and gettin' older :)
I'd never want to come here and get "oh it looks great" replies when it doesn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn