Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to the Lounge and need a Hat!

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Hello to all,

Well I am new here to the Fedore Lounge, and stumbled across this site while looking into purchasing a Fedora. I am very interested in this site and enjoy reading what everyone writes!

Am not well versed on the different types of headwear, so any bits of info I can get are very helpful. I am looking for a nice inexpensive Fedora; on quite a tight budget since going back to school. If anyone can help to steer me into the right direction I would be most grateful.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Depending on what size hat you wear, I would recommend trying ebay. Lots of deals to be had. Vintage hats are generally much higher quality than current production, and can be had at a fraction of the price.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, how tall are you and what shape is your face, as these are the biggest concerns as regards style of hat (brim size, crown height mostly)?

Dinerman is right, most of the time vintage is best, but they can also be hard to get hold of in large enough sizes as well as be so sought after that you will be out-bidded on ebay.

And as for a modern manufacturer which is both affordable but gives you good quality, Akubra is highly recommended by everyone on the lounge. Their hats are not the most dressy (not so smooth felt as some) but they are extremely durable to weather I have heard, or rather read. So much so that I intend to get one very soon.

Hope this helps.

tbrunke

Familiar Face
avedwards said:
Firstly, how tall are you and what shape is your face, as these are the biggest concerns as regards style of hat (brim size, crown height mostly)?

Dinerman is right, most of the time vintage is best, but they can also be hard to get hold of in large enough sizes as well as be so sought after that you will be out-bidded on ebay.

And as for a modern manufacturer which is both affordable but gives you good quality, Akubra is highly recommended by everyone on the lounge. Their hats are not the most dressy (not so smooth felt as some) but they are extremely durable to weather I have heard, or rather read. So much so that I intend to get one very soon.

Hope this helps.

I wear a size 7 3/8 so rather large. I am about 5 ft 11 and weigh 220 pounds so am a larger build and that does reflect in my face. Thanks to all who are responding!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Maybe a hat with a high crown then and a wide brim. Highly recommended comes the Fed IV from Akubra. This is probably the hat with the most threads around it on the whole lounge, so info about it should be easy to find.

Unlike other Akubra hats, this one is only sold by www.hatsdirect.com

tbrunke

Familiar Face
avedwards said:
Maybe a hat with a high crown then and a wide brim. Highly recommended comes the Fed IV from Akubra. This is probably the hat with the most threads around it on the whole lounge, so info about it should be easy to find.

Unlike other Akubra hats, this one is only sold by www.hatsdirect.com

Yes, thank you I like this hat. I do not see a price on their website. Doe's anyone happen to know off hand what the price is?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Go on "order Federation IV". And it's AU$108.50 for the standard and AU$168.50 for the deluxe. The difference between the standard and the deluxe is explained under "felt quality". And there are a number of threads discussing whether the extra money is worthwhile for the deluxe.

Goose.

Practically Family
tbrunke said:
I wear a size 7 3/8 so rather large. I am about 5 ft 11 and weigh 220 pounds so am a larger build and that does reflect in my face. Thanks to all who are responding!
Depending on how many Bud Lights I have had, I'm about your height and weight. Just under 6'0" and ~210 libs. But I wear a 60 (7 1/2).
Other factors to the equation besides the weight to height ratio though. I have a Herman Munster head and find that as much as I'd like to be able to, I can't pull off a short brim :(

Take a look at the pics here and you will most likely see someone that has your noggin/face type. See what you like, order, and have fun. Understanding your financial situation, I am sure you will choose wisely in what you think works for you. BUT, don't get discouraged if the first one or two don't do it...you will find one that will suit your fancy soon enough. Don't give up the ship!!!!

Post on whatever you decide. Some of us are just plain nosey ;)

And, WELCOME!!!! :)

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Goose. said:
Depending on how many Bud Lights I have had, I'm about your height and weight. Just under 6'0" and ~210 libs. But I wear a 60 (7 1/2).
Other factors to the equation besides the weight to height ratio though. I have a Herman Munster head and find that as much as I'd like to be able to, I can't pull off a short brim :(

Take a look at the pics here and you will most likely see someone that has your noggin/face type. See what you like, order, and have fun.

Post on whatever you decide. Some of us are just plain nosey ;)

And, WELCOME!!!! :)

Yes I agree, I cannot pull of a short brim either, had one and I looked bad:eusa_doh:

Jabos

A-List Customer
I jumped out when I first got into this two or three months ago and purchased an Akubra Campdraft. It is a great hat, but it has a big brim and it looks a bit big on me. I'm 5 11 and 220 also, and wear a 7 3/8. I now wish I had first purchased a Fed IV with the slightly smaller brim. Just my two cents. Everyone that has one seems to love it. Welcome to the great addiction!!!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, tbrunke!

I don't think you'll have any trouble getting good advice on hat choices around here. Enjoy your stay.

Goose. said:
Depending on how many Bud Lights I have had, I'm about your height and weight. . . . .
Yeah, after about 4, I generally feel much taller, too. ;)

Jabos

A-List Customer
Here are a couple of hats on me, that might help you a bit since we are the same size. First, the Campdraft:
025.jpg
[/IMG]
Second, my VS from Art Fawcett, 5 1/2 inch crown, 2 5/8ths brim:

037.jpg
[/IMG]
035.jpg
[/IMG]
The Campdraft doesn't look quite as big in the pic as it does in real life on me. I also jumped out on Ebay and bought a hat for $50 but didn't know what I was doing and I wouldn't buy it now. But, like Dman said, if you have a bit of knowledge you can find a great vintage for a good price.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not think you can go wrong with a Fed Deluxe IV. It can take a beating and still look great, further, you will get a lot of great advice here. How to shape it, clean it etc.

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Jabos said:
... First, the Campdraft:
025.jpg
[/IMG]
That hat looks good on you. You are just not used to such a wide brim. Thinking that in OK you'd be used to wide brimmed hats. I used to wearing 4 inch brims in westerns, so I guess the Campdraft feels okay to me. I'm barely 5'10" & go 210 with a 7 5/8 sized jug.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Considering your size of 7 3/8, eBay should probably be a skip concerning vintage hats.

There are many decent affordable hats being made these days. Bailey has a wide range of hats that meet almost anyone's price range. Stefeno (sometimes spelled Stefano) makes 100% fur felt hats that are pretty darn good, are fairly affordable, and come in a small selection of styles.

Jaxon hats are good price conscious hatst hat people usually find surprisingly good. Their fur felts are very affordable.

For Bailey go http://www.hats.com
For Stefeno, http://www.hats-plus.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=stefeno
Village Hat Shop, for Jaxon: http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon-hats.html

Most of these companies also offer straw, fabric, flat caps, etc. Everyone needs at least one good flat cap!;)

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Jabos said:
Here are a couple of hats on me, that might help you a bit since we are the same size. First, the Campdraft:
025.jpg
[/IMG]
Second, my VS from Art Fawcett, 5 1/2 inch crown, 2 5/8ths brim:

037.jpg
[/IMG]
035.jpg
[/IMG]
The Campdraft doesn't look quite as big in the pic as it does in real life on me. I also jumped out on Ebay and bought a hat for $50 but didn't know what I was doing and I wouldn't buy it now. But, like Dman said, if you have a bit of knowledge you can find a great vintage for a good price.

Thank you Jabos, us being the same size helps immensely, plus your facial structure is similiar to mine as well. Since will be purchasing on-line and not being able to try them on.

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Dewhurst said:
Considering your size of 7 3/8, eBay should probably be a skip concerning vintage hats.

There are many decent affordable hats being made these days. Bailey has a wide range of hats that meet almost anyone's price range. Stefeno (sometimes spelled Stefano) makes 100% fur felt hats that are pretty darn good, are fairly affordable, and come in a small selection of styles.

Jaxon hats are good price conscious hatst hat people usually find surprisingly good. Their fur felts are very affordable.

For Bailey go http://www.hats.com
For Stefeno, http://www.hats-plus.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=stefeno
Village Hat Shop, for Jaxon: http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon-hats.html

Most of these companies also offer straw, fabric, flat caps, etc. Everyone needs at least one good flat cap!;)

Thank you I am checking out these sites now!

tbrunke said:
Anywhere from 0 ;) to $75 is a doable price range for me.
I got my brother a very nice, almost unworn, vintage Resistol San Antonio in 7 3/8 for $65 off ebay including shipping charges. Got a buddy a good but not prestine vintage Stetson Open Road in 7 3/8 for $65 plus shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24