Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York hat shops

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
Hi folks

It's possible me and the family will be jetting off to NY next summer holidays (staying with relatives) :D. So, the inevitable questions are....

- which hat shops should I visit?
- are there cheaper prices to be had just outside the city? (we'll be on the outskirts of Newark)
- anything else I should consider? (apart from remortgaging the house to pay for it all, lol)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, the two places that always come to my mind are J.J. Hat Center in on 5th Ave, Herald Square, and Worth & Worth on 57th St. I suppose there's always cheaper, but these are New York's most famous hat shops.

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
I agree Worth & Worth ............Orlando is a very nice person and knows his stuff. Also, Bencraft.....Besdor here can assist you I am sure..;)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi folks

It's possible me and the family will be jetting off to NY next summer holidays (staying with relatives) :D. So, the inevitable questions are....

- which hat shops should I visit?
- are there cheaper prices to be had just outside the city? (we'll be on the outskirts of Newark)
- anything else I should consider? (apart from remortgaging the house to pay for it all, lol)

I have visited Worth and Worth several times, and hope to buyone of theirs in the next few months. Rather than just being a retailer, they make many or most of their hats on site. So I liked that--their take on a hat style might be somewhat different than the majors.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
One of the good ones is closed on Sundays, but I can't remember which one.

Worth & Worth is closed on Sundays. Bencraft is also awesome and they are open on Sundays. JJ hat center closed on sundays, great looking store, cool people that know their stuff but 5th-avenue-priced.
If you want a Borsalino (or any other hat for that matter), head to Bencraft in Brooklyn. If you want something made for or altered for you W&W is your place.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I pretty much agree with the sentiments expressed about W&W and JJ. When it NYC in August I went to both shops, JJ had lots going on and tons of hats in many different styles and colors. The rabbit Borsos were about $350 from what I remember, and the hats at W&W were also rabbit but around $250-$275. For me, it was a wonderful experience and my first trips to an actually hat store. Being able to shop and try on different sizes and styles really helped me nail down what I liked. However after experiencing their nice rabbit hats they had, I knew I just had to order a 100% beaver from Art for not much more money. But I really enjoyed the experience at Worth and Worth, they really took the time to help me pick a style and show me some different things, and I feel kind of bad for not buying from them, but for me value is #1. I've heard good things about Bencraft, but unfortunately we didn't have time in the trip to make it out there as well.

Maguire

Practically Family
hat shops in nyc

I was looking to see if this topic was already here, i'm sure it is but i'm looking for recommendations on hat shops in NYC to see. I've seen a customer, an older indian man come in with a hat he said he bought in manhattan for 200 dollars. It looks just like the hat Tom Berenger wears in The Field and its a really fine hat, nothing costumey about it, its got the perfect size and dimensions as far as i'm concerned, not a stingy brim, but not gigantic like the Akubra fed IV. I'm hoping to check out some of the manhattan hat shops and was hoping for some recommendations- store hours would be nice too. Thanks again. If I'm just posting a redundant topic, my apologies, please delete my thread.

Maguire

Practically Family
The hat that piqued my interested was a green fedora with a gold band, as Tom Berenger wears in The Field, but i'm just looking to see what they have. He wears the hat prominently in the film, but naturally i can't find a single picture of him wearing it online.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
NYC hat shops

Yellow Pages shows 219 listings for New York City hat shops. I will be there in a couple of weeks, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise. Any suggestions?

Duper

Practically Family
Wally, do a search of the site for a thread titled "Hat Stores -a list". You should find plenty of recommendations there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats