Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie - Don't know where to start

weberboy

New in Town
I'm recently interested in wearing nicer hat (rather than my standard baseball caps). I did some online searching and stumbled across this site. I also did some searching for hat stores in my area (Chester County, PA). I can't find anything without going into Philadelphia. I don't even know what type of hat would be right for me. I searched the mall for some hats just to try on and can't find any at all. HELP! How should I get started?

I'm looking to start out cheap. I don't know if I will stick with it. So I don't want to end up in a specialty store in the city that will end up costing me big bucks.

Any help on how to get started is appreciated. Thanks.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the FL, you will like it here.:D I started out with an Akubra Sydney which is a good starter hat because it is not too aggressive in crown height or brim treatment. It also isn't too expensive. I have now moved onto hats with much taller crowns (ebay, customs, and in the merchants forum) , but it took time to become comfortable with that look. The sydney helped with that transition for me. And though I have 'outgrown' the sydney I still wear it daily as my work hat. It isn't the only hat that falls into the category of a starter hat, but it worked for me. There are great vendor sponsors here who would love to put you into a good hat.

MattJH

One Too Many
Another fellow Philadelphian, or at least somewhat local to it. Seriously, such a hat-wearing city.

weberboy - You need to travel into the city to pick up a modern fedora. Try Hats In The Belfry on the northeast corner of 2nd and South. Otherwise, I second handlebar bart's opinion. The Akubra Sydney is an excellent one to start with.

And read the sticky threads.

And the archives.

And the FAQs.

And try on hats.

GWD

One Too Many
I agree with the first two post, WELCOME to the lounge! Go down town and try on as many hats as you are interested in. Study yourself in the mirror with each hat, pretty soon you'll get a feel for what you like and dislike. Bring a friend and asked his or her opinion. If you follow the typical pattern you'll be drawn to the stingy brim hats (hats with less than 2 inch brims) you'll probably like them best because they aren't that big of a departure from the caps you're used to wearing, and most of the younger hat wearing crowd are wearing the shorter brim fedoras. My collection is about half and half, stingy and non stingy brims. Get what you like and enjoy!

Good Luck!

MattJH

One Too Many
Another hat shop to try is on the south side of South Street between 8th and 9th. Ask for Oscar. He's great.

tortswon

Practically Family
Welcome

Howdy weberboy and welcome from another Philly area newbie. I'm in much the same position as you from the standpoint of experience so I can't give you substantive advice. From the standpoint of procedure (you can tell I'm a lawyer), ask and you will receive. The members here have been uniformly courteous and gracious in sharing information. I have also called several of the gentlemen who make hats and they have proven to be a valuable resource. Take your time and have fun! Best, Sam

weberboy

New in Town
Thanks for all the quick responses. Dumbjaw - Hats In The Belfry was the only store I could find in my searching. I guess a trip to South Street will need to be planned soon. I'll let you all know what I end up with.

Wish me luck.....

MattJH

One Too Many
weberboy said:
Thanks for all the quick responses. Dumbjaw - Hats In The Belfry was the only store I could find in my searching. I guess a trip to South Street will need to be planned soon. I'll let you all know what I end up with.

Wish me luck.....

I live 5 blocks off of South Street. I'd be glad to meet up with you and offer some tips if you'd like. The other one is between 8th and 9th and it's called South Street hats. A Saturday morning / early afternoon would be perfect for me. If not, the clerks at both stores should be able to help you out as well (although Hats In The Belfry gets very busy at times and there's generally only one clerk staffed).

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
Definitely link up with another hat guy. There's nothing so helpful as taking an experienced hat-wearer when you go shopping to get feedback on what's a good fit and looks good for your face. Plus, they will be far better at spotting differences in quality, particularly in the felt.

Welcome to the fraternity!

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

By all means, do make the trip to a hat shop and try some on. I could not find one around Raleigh at the time I was starting, and so opted for the eBay route.

The end result is I now have some of my early acquisitions that will probably wind up sitting on the shelf, eventually to go back up on eBay. Once I figured out what I wanted, it wasn't what I first started with. Ye Olde learning process, as it were.

I'd suggest going to a real hat shop, even if the end result is you buy nothing at first. I also like the idea of hooking up with someone that has hat experience even if what they hwppen to like isn't exactly what you happen to like. It'd make the whole process more enjoyable at the least! :)

Stan

tortswon

Practically Family
Can I grab some of that action?

Dumbjaw said:
I live 5 blocks off of South Street. I'd be glad to meet up with you and offer some tips if you'd like. The other one is between 8th and 9th and it's called South Street hats. A Saturday morning / early afternoon would be perfect for me. If not, the clerks at both stores should be able to help you out as well (although Hats In The Belfry gets very busy at times and there's generally only one clerk staffed).

Hey Dumbjaw, can I go along on that excursion? I live right next to Society Hill Towers. I would have PM'd but I can't do that yet (not enough posts). Best, Sam

MattJH

One Too Many
tortswon said:
Hey Dumbjaw, can I go along on that excursion? I live right next to Society Hill Towers. I would have PM'd but I can't do that yet (not enough posts). Best, Sam

Of course! I had a momentous teenage moment right there in the courtyard of Society Hill Towers. Remind me to tell you about it.

Me, weberboy, tortswon. Anyone else?

swisslet

New in Town
Just so you know weberboy, hats are really, really addictive: get one, and I guarantee you will be hooked and boring all your friends with talk of bashes and turns and things like that. That's what happened to me, anyway.

Oh, and one hat is never enough... so be ready for that too.

Welcome. If I were you, I'd take up some of these kind gentlemen on their offers of help.... you can't have too much expert guidance when you're taking those first little steps into a larger world. The forums here (and on Club Obi Wan if you're interested in an Indy Fedora) were a gold mine of useful information for me.

I just joined the 14 month waiting list for an AB Deluxe, and I'm counting the days!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge weberboy!...Enjoy enjoy!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap and I'd go for an Akubra to start with....Ya can't go wrong!:D

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge, weberboy, and Happy Hat Hunting!

A word of caution, though. I'm going to echo the "hats are addictive" line. Get one decent hat and pretty soon, you'll need:
  • One to wear with your brown suit;
  • One to wear with your black suit;
  • One to wear on casual occasions;
  • One to wear on formal occasions;
  • One to wear in cold weather;
  • One to wear on hot weather;
  • One to wear . . .

I think you can see where this is going. ;)

Good luck on you search.

Stan

A-List Customer
One to wear....

Hi,

Just FYI, I've not been at this a year yet, and my own 'one to wear' list is up to two dozen. Yes, 24, and I *know* it will wind up much, much longer that that since the original list was only for four hats total...... :eek:

So, by all means make the trip to the hat store with the willing assistants lining up here to help you out. Go with a 'one hat only' list - but don't be surprised when that list grows as time passes! :p

Oh, and most of all, enjoy yourself! I have to admit that this hat business has been *very* enjoyable. I'm speaking for myself only here, of course, but I think you'll find that I'm not alone! :D

Later!

Stan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24