Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie help request deciding first a-2 leather?

chamburger1

New in Town
Good stuff. Looking forward to pics!
(ps you can get a Wested on sale for really cheap)...

Just to add to the list of relatively affordable A-2s, check out...
http://www.avilthr.com/shop5/a2-jacket-type-bronco/
Have not heard or read much about these guys, but its probably the cheapest Bronco repro on the market ;)

STOP! LOL you're gonna get me in trouble with my gf, she wants a vacatio and all I can talk about is a leather jacket lol. I should have the SM wholesale tomorrow. I would like to get a nice indiana Jones style jacket with the buckles on the back after this.

chamburger1

New in Town
If you've not made a choice, Pop's Leather will make an A-2 to your measurements for under $400. I recently had them make me an A-1 and it is an outstanding jacket.

http://www.popsleather.com/prod_v2.php3?prod=11

thanks! I actually just received my sm wholesale a-2 yesterday-didn't get a chance to take any fit pictures but its a really nice jacket. I can tell you that I will definetly want another bomber at some point, i'll keep pops in mind.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
You can probably score a really great lightly used A-2 from the classifieds here or eBay for $400 with a little patience.

adiadi

Familiar Face
Hi Guys, new to the Forum. After reading your advice and feedback. I have pulled the trigger on a A2 by US Aut. It's in a Seal Brown Horse Hide. I have asked Shaul to make it as heavy and thick as he can (I have a couple of Lostworlds jackets in 4.5oz, absolutely love them). Super excited to take delivery (I am based in Sydney, Australia). Cheers Adi

Technonut

Practically Family
Hi Guys, new to the Forum. After reading your advice and feedback. I have pulled the trigger on a A2 by US Aut. It's in a Seal Brown Horse Hide. I have asked Shaul to make it as heavy and thick as he can (I have a couple of Lostworlds jackets in 4.5oz, absolutely love them). Super excited to take delivery (I am based in Sydney, Australia). Cheers Adi

US Authentic is known for cutting jackets on the larger side, so if you're all the way 'down under', I would ask for the measurements before it ships out if it's not one of the non-returnable custom-sized jackets... I picked up one of his A-1's in horsehide second-hand, and while the hide used, and construction is excellent, the cut for a tagged size 44 is HUGE. The chest is 25" pit to pit, the length from the collar seam to the end of the knit waistband 27", the sleeves are 28" including cuffs, and across the shoulders 20 1/2".. VERY large for a size 44. It looks like I'm a kid attempting to wear his older brother's jacket...:eek:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting T, I always heard US-A was trimish. 25 inches for a 44 sounds close to reasonable. A jacket by U.S. Wings or G&B in a 42 is 25 inches pit to pit. The measurements Shaul gave me for a stock 42 sound ok, a little large pit to pit. Back 26 inches; sleeve 26 inches; shoulder 20 inches; p-2p 24 inches. I would think 23 would be preferable.

I wouldn't be keen on a 4.5oz A2 - this is meant to be more of a lighter windbreaker style jacket, not a beast. 2.2oz horse or goat is more period accurate.

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
Interesting T, I always heard US-A was trimish. 25 inches for a 44 sounds close to reasonable. A jacket by U.S. Wings or G&B in a 42 is 25 inches pit to pit. The measurements Shaul gave me for a stock 42 sound ok, a little large pit to pit. Back 26 inches; sleeve 26 inches; shoulder 20 inches; p-2p 24 inches. I would think 23 would be preferable.

I wouldn't be keen on a 4.5oz A2 - this is meant to be more of a lighter windbreaker style jacket, not a beast. 2.2oz horse or goat is more period accurate.

I'm pretty sure that I've read quite a few posts regarding USA's larger-cut stock jackets. I suppose it's possible the A-1 I have was a custom jacket with a size 44 tag. The chest isn't too bad, but too roomy and large for me. The sleeves at 28" tunnel-down to the point where there is no knit showing at all, and the length puts the jacket way over the back pockets of most trousers I have.

It really is a nicely constructed jacket. Genuine horn buttons, and quality knits as well. I'm debating whether to give it a hot water / dryer treatment, since I've been successful shrinking down a few horsehide jackets over the years. It's so nice though, I may throw it in the classies here for someone the correct size to enjoy. The A-1 was worn sparingly, and the grain just starting to pop in places..

dan_t

Practically Family
Welcome!
It's always nice to see another Aussie here.

Peacoat

Bartender

Agreed. A 4.5 oz. A-2 would be more punishment than I would choose to inflict on myself. OK for a moto jacket, but not for a street jacket.

adiadi

Familiar Face
US Authentic is known for cutting jackets on the larger side, so if you're all the way 'down under', I would ask for the measurements before it ships out if it's not one of the non-returnable custom-sized jackets... I picked up one of his A-1's in horsehide second-hand, and while the hide used, and construction is excellent, the cut for a tagged size 44 is HUGE. The chest is 25" pit to pit, the length from the collar seam to the end of the knit waistband 27", the sleeves are 28" including cuffs, and across the shoulders 20 1/2".. VERY large for a size 44. It looks like I'm a kid attempting to wear his older brother's jacket...:eek:
Thanks for your advise, I did speak with Shaul about my sizing and sized myself up before I ordered mine. The jacket has landed to my drop shipping location, waiting for a couple of other things to deliver then will have it shipped to Sydney. Keep you posted.

adiadi

Familiar Face
Welcome!
It's always nice to see another Aussie here.
Cheers mate, I am also planning on importing some leather honey to Australia for sale. It's the best conditioner I have found for my jackets so far. Keep you posted.

adiadi

Familiar Face
Agreed. A 4.5 oz. A-2 would be more punishment than I would choose to inflict on myself. OK for a moto jacket, but not for a street jacket.
Sort of agree with you, however once good leather breaks in well, you don't really feel the weight as much. I love the heavy armor feel. I have a couple of Foxcreek Leather jacket, they are fine naked leather jacket but, I now find them too delicate for my liking.

Peacoat

Bartender
Sort of agree with you, however once good leather breaks in well, you don't really feel the weight as much. I love the heavy armor feel. I have a couple of Foxcreek Leather jacket, they are fine naked leather jacket but, I now find them too delicate for my liking.
For me it isn't the weight, it's the thickness of the hide when bending my elbows, moving my shoulders, etc. The weight has never bothered me. Even after break-in the thick hides are just more than I want to deal with in a street jacket. I want comfort and not protection in a street jacket.

Fox Creek has about a 3 1/2 oz. hide on its jackets. They come broken in out of the box and are soft and pliable from the get go. If looking for a suit of armor, they aren't even close. They make a good street jacket and are thick enough for a protective moto jacket. They also make the best chaps I have seen.

So, for a moto jacket, give me the 4 to 4 1/2 oz. hides for protection. For a street jacket, give me the 3 oz. hides for comfort. YMMV. PC.

adiadi

Familiar Face
For me it isn't the weight, it's the thickness of the hide when bending my elbows, moving my shoulders, etc. The weight has never bothered me. Even after break-in the thick hides are just more than I want to deal with in a street jacket. I want comfort and not protection in a street jacket.

Fox Creek has about a 3 1/2 oz. hide on its jackets. They come broken in out of the box and are soft and pliable from the get go. If looking for a suit of armor, they aren't even close. They make a good street jacket and are thick enough for a protective moto jacket. They also make the best chaps I have seen.

So, for a moto jacket, give me the 4 to 4 1/2 oz. hides for protection. For a street jacket, give me the 3 oz. hides for comfort. YMMV. PC.
Fair enough. Some how I love the feel of thick leather and the stiffness really dose not bother me post breaking-in. Now day's my riding and street jackets are the same. I picked up a Schott 618 HH last year and the hide is so flimsy, I emailed them to confirm that thickness of the leather, they said it's 3oz weight and 1.4mm thick which I don't believe at all (it's the thinnest leather jacket I have ever had, i have owned lambskin in my newbie days but this is even more flimsy). I guess you acquire a taste and go with it.

Peacoat

Bartender
I think I remember that 1.4 mm is the same as 3 1/2 oz. and 3 oz. comes in at 1.2 mm. 1.4 mm is the minimum recommended for riding jackets. I have a Schott Cafe racer, and it feels about 3 oz. or perhaps less. It certainly isn't 3 1/2 oz.

If Schott is telling you that your jacket is 3 oz. and 1.4 mm, that is a major discrepancy. It isn't even moto jacket material at 3 oz. But a lightweight 3 oz. jacket will give better protection than wearing nothing at all. I think that is why I use mine so much--it is easy to wear in warm weather, and when the temps get toward 80, it doesn't take much room in the saddle bag.

adiadi

Familiar Face
Capture3.JPG
I think I remember that 1.4 mm is the same as 3 1/2 oz. and 3 oz. comes in at 1.2 mm. 1.4 mm is the minimum recommended for riding jackets. I have a Schott Cafe racer, and it feels about 3 oz. or perhaps less. It certainly isn't 3 1/2 oz.

If Schott is telling you that your jacket is 3 oz. and 1.4 mm, that is a major discrepancy. It isn't even moto jacket material at 3 oz. But a lightweight 3 oz. jacket will give better protection than wearing nothing at all. I think that is why I use mine so much--it is easy to wear in warm weather, and when the temps get toward 80, it doesn't take much room in the saddle bag.

I have it on email, as you can see above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner