Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie: Lucky or Sucker, you decide...

Spellflower

Practically Family
I ignored this thread for a few days because I figured it was just someone asking about the value of something they won on ebay. Boy was I wrong!

Congratulations on your find! You're sure to make a good return on your investment (especially if you have any brown hats in 7 3/8 or 7 1/2 and PM me about them!), but you can also feel good about saving a bit of history from wasting away.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Tomorrow is the big day!

I'm off to bed... Tomorrow morning is D-Day. I'm heading up to an "undisclosed location" to collect the stash. My movers are bringing industrial bins, which should hold several hat boxes, per bin. I'm particularly concerned about protecting the hats within the hat boxes that have deteriorated over the years.

Good comments from JB and BK... Glad to see that Spellflower joined the party. JB - I'm originally from the Dallas area, so it's great to see the connection with Adam Hats. BK - I think the boxed shirts are going to be a crap shoot. I know one box of shirts was left open, and the nice silk shirts were ruined, but maybe I'll find some diamonds in the rough.

My goal tomorrow is to get each and every hat out of there with no dents or dings... The boxes of shirts should stack well, and the loose clothing can be piled without hurting anything.

I'm hoping for some nice surprises... I'll post one example before I go to bed.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Very cool ties...

000_0112.jpg

On my last trip to the stash... I found these really cool old ties in small thin boxes in the attic, and mentioned them to the owner. They are knit ties with square ends, but the fabric is almost metalic.

I asked the owner about them, and he said, "Are you talking about the ties under the bed?"

I said, "You have ties under the bed?"

This should be interesting!

Valhson

One of the Regulars
wow, what a find. Congrats.

I actually am wondering what the movers reactions were when you told them they were moving a treasure. Were they shocked?

Also, in the interest of my shameless self... 7 5/8 here though on the small side of that:p Sometimes I can get away with a 7-1/2LO I work in DC and live in Nova if you ever happen to be around that area lol :whistling and heck, there are no real shipping fees, I travel for hats

And in the interest of a previous post...I am always willing to help for the price of say... a drink and to see a collection like that in person, not behind glass!

In all seriousness, great find and I hope you find the learning and experience enjoyable

;) I can be found in the navy yard during most week days ;)

surely

A-List Customer
surely said:
You will, I predict, be the most popular new member ever, with pleas to buy, maybe even to help with the inventory. Sounds like a fantastic find. Remindes me of the time I was alone in the storage room containing Spike Jones' instruments; if only I had money then.

Ah. its so nice when a prediction comes true!:D
BTW Johnnyphi, I Ike your attitude to your find.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
FL Aladdin's Cave

johnnyphi said:
Y'all seem like nice folks! I hope nobody would kill for these hats because my security detail isn't very experienced!

I should let everyone know that the big move has been postponed until Friday.

In the meantime, who can tell me about Adam hats? I need as much information as I can get.

Please note... in this photo, the boxes on the right side are mens and boys shirts, and the boxes on the left are mostly Adam hats.

Attic-Boxes.jpg

This is what you have all been waiting for folks!

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Hello,
Some of the totally unused stuff should be put in a time-capsule for posterity! Honestly, when I find things in perfect condition, I am very loath to mess them up. I may wear them for a very short time, and then retire them, occasionally trying them on in front of a mirror for fun. If they already have some wear, I may use them carefully.

I say this, because someone didn't save much civilian clothing for me from the 1915-1919 period, and it is very frustrating. The 30's-50's was some time ago, but not that long ago, so finding stuff is not always hard--RIGHT NOW! What about in twenty years? If some good stuff is saved, reproductions can someday be made that might have a chance of being pretty accurate, and coming somewhere near the quality. This will be important as this stuff dwindles down, and I think people will rise to the occasion and start making this stuff.

Just a thought.

I65Stang

New in Town
Wow, simply amazing! I think we all dream of coming upon a stash like what you did no matter what the hobby is.

I am sure the owner of the shop is relieved that he doesn't have to deal with having to sell off his inventory one piece at a time (taking off the band-aid theory).

ideaguy

One Too Many
for the folks that have been dreaming of something like this happening, it does! And with more frequency than you would imagine; after being in
Antiques for over 16-17 yrs. (a newbie in that profession), I've had my share of untouched stores, houses sealed up for 50+years, storage garages filled with everything imaginable...still have dreams about walking into that situation now, but always wake up before I get to see the goodies.
Congratulations on both a good find, and the smarts to seek some help
before all h*ll breaks out. Seen many a big "find" disappear due to not having the diligence to wait and do things right.
And if you happen across a 7 3/8, my head would appreciate it...

thanks for sharing all this with us, and welcome to the coolest place in town.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
And... Here we go!

The move took forever!!! But we had a great crew, and they were working under difficult conditions.

Can anyone translate this phrase... Ropa vieja?
:D

So... everything is safely at the undisclosed location.

In the meantime, I'd like to post some pictures for your enjoyment.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Display Fedoras

These are the display fedoras that were on the rack in the retail store this morning...

From left to right...

The first two hats are 6 3/4.

Next three are 7 3/8.

Last hat is 7 1/2.

DisplayFedoras.jpg

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Display Porkpies

The first hat in the first row is a 6 5/8.

Second two hats are 6 7/8.

Final hat is...

Wait for it...

7 3/8

No visible flaws...

DisplayPorkpies.jpg

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Display Center Dent Fedoras

I think these are great... They remind me of the Godfather.

Sizes from left to right... No size listed but measures 21". Middle hat is 7. Final hat is...

Wait for it...

7 3/8

DisplayCenterDentFedoras.jpg

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
What do you call this furry old beauty?

This one is cool... It's green and furry... It's an Adam, and the size is 7. It has a cool fur band, with orange and blue feathers.

What would you call this hat?

GreenFurryStingy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80