Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have been presented with this tweed "newsboy" cap - or should I say "baker boy" cap, provided it is of British origin? Manufacturer is "Olney".

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0337-1.jpg

Accustomed as I am to the larger HatPeople extra full cut caps, this now I find really tiny on my head! Of course, any cap looks tiny compared to those extra fulls :D

BTW... I am thinking of ordering a couple of lightweights (they have denim and light cotton) from HatPeople, but I am in doubt between extra full cut again, or full cut. I guess they will drape differently because of the material.
Any opinions?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think you've found the ideal 8-panel there.

As for a lighter weight cap, I would think the extra full might feel like too much material in warmer months. I would go down to a full cut.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Thanks you gentlemen!

NB13, I though the same about the lighter caps asking for a less voluminous pattern, and probably I will pursue that option.

I look forward to photos of your linen cap, Carter!

HDaddy, in fact I find that this style of caps goes very well with bowties. At least I like that combination.

Regards!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I did a little digging. Turns out Olney makes 2 8-panel models. One is called the Newsboy, the other the Baker Boy. It seems like the Baker is a fuller cut, based on the vague listings I've seen.

Lancealot

Practically Family
I just got my new Hat People extra full cut newsboy in the black, gray, and white herringbone. I love it. I'll try to get pics up later this weekend.

Did anyone ever get a line on the flat cap George Clooney wears in Leatherheads?

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I got this Capas linen cap made in the USA at Arnold Hatters for 30 bucks. It is a great shop, the guy immediately started steaming and brushing my Dobbs Guild Edge and saying how much he loved it. This will be a great one for summer. I bought it a little large because I know it'll tighten up especially when wearing it in rain.
IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
That looks insanely comfortable, Cowboy. I have two linens on their way to me right now. It's nice to see how the linen will drape... if drape is really the right word. :p

Torpedo

One Too Many
Cowboy, that one looks great.

I am currently thinking of lighweight caps for the coming season. I have ben looking at Arnold Hatters 'site. I guess your cap, judging by the price you give, is the one the call "Linen Baretta cap"?

Regards!

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Yes that must be the one. It seems to be a good hat and is very floppy with an extra full cut. I was fooling around with the snap and now it won't snap together anymore [huh]. Just a minor complaint I guess, not a big deal. Nothing a little superglue won't fix. I look forward to seeing how the cap holds up against regular use in rain or shine.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Here is a B!Wear cap. Can't wait to wear it sunday and the rest of this week, and, well, all summer. Thank God for hat stretchers. I wear size large in Hanna and it fits rather loose especially when new. I ordered an extra large in this and it fit so tight. Anyway, should loosen up. The cut is perfect, and will only get better looking overtime.
IMG_4248.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
UWS Cowboy said:
Here is a B!Wear cap. Can't wait to wear it sunday and the rest of this week, and, well, all summer. Thank God for hat stretchers. I wear size large in Hanna and it fits rather loose especially when new. I ordered an extra large in this and it fit so tight. Anyway, should loosen up. The cut is perfect, and will only get better looking overtime.

Please load some photos with you under the cap! :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, UWS. That's the first cap here that's really tempted me to order one.
:eusa_clap

Torpedo

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Does the bill look exceptionally tiny on this cap?

B-Wear caps do have small bills. I think ICop posted a photo earlier in this thread showing it. It was one of the reasons that made me choose HatPeople over B-Wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy