Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
It does have a very narrow bill, but I think it looks a little longer than my Hanna. Not sure, maybe I'm wrong, but it's definitely narrower. My only complaint with the hat is that it does not fit like any XL I have ever tried on. It's feels much tighter. :( I hope with wear it conforms to my head and doesn't shrink at all, because if it does it will be way too small. Already split a tiny seam trying to stretch it out some. I wish I ordered the 2xl, but I'm definitely NOT a 7 3/4.

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
Hmm... I almost ordered one last night. Now I'm kind of glad I didn't. I'd have ordered the XL. Wonder if I should get an XXL when I finally do order. I'm usually a 7 5/8. Is it generally agreed upon that the b-wears run small?

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
I wish I could say, but since this is my first I'm not sure. Part of that "tight" feeling is just the suede sweatband, which is not really tight. It just grips my head very securely. I've heard the sizing isn't always completely consistent since the caps are hand made, but I'd wait for some more people to chime in before I made the decision.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
This is the best I can do for now.. I really love the cap!
IMG000017.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
NOW INTRODUCING: BOOKSTER CAPS

Hi,

This week I have received a package with three new caps from Bookster, in the UK. Two are flat caps, which I will present separately, and one is newsboy style.

These are made-to-order caps. You choose the material and the style. Bookster is specialized in tweed suits, so the selection is the same you have for suits: more than 100 :)p ) to choose, different patterns and weigths. You choose the liner colour, too (13 available).

Bookster website...

http://www.tweed-jacket.com/Tweed Caps and Hats/Tweed Caps and Hats.html

They have some styles not shown in the website. I asked for more generous crowns, and they do offer this option in the Hereford (flat cap) and Gloucester (8-panel) models.

Here is my 8-panel model, in a heavy tweed cloth called Gun Club...

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0380-1.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

Communication with Bookster was first rate. From making effective the order to receiving the hats, it was about 6 weeks - less than the 8 weeks time they stated.

I can only recommend Bookster to all of you!

Regards!

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Torpedo said:
NOW INTRODUCING: BOOKSTER CAPS

They have some styles not shown in the website. I asked for more generous crowns, and they do offer this option in the Hereford (flat cap) and Gloucester (8-panel) models.

Regards!

Is this 'generous' crown a standard or did you give exact specifications? It's a beautiful cap but I find it a bit 'oversized'..

They have a lot of choice in fabrics and I'm interested in buying at least one 8-panel..

Torpedo

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Two of my vintage 1930s caps. (Cathedral, startled horse and saint not included):

Nice caps, Marc. I would like some modern manufacturer truly replicating that vintage style, which apparently can not be found.

Djgo, yes, thay have a model name for the larger crowned model, the Leominster. I guess you would prefer the standard model, the Gloucester.

Cookie, it does have a bill. Depending on the drape, it can be mostly hidden. But you can see it at the detail photo, and (barely) in the first portrait photo.

The cap is new and once "broken in" will drape differently. Also, it has a bill snap, which, if unfastened, allows for some leeway. I am still experimenting with this one...

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Torpedo said:
Djgo, yes, thay have a model name for the larger crowned model, the Leominster. I guess you would prefer the standard model, the Gloucester.

Torpedo,

this morning I just couldn't resist and ordered a standard Gloucester in this tweed:
Clyde.jpg

And browsing through the Bookster site, my mouth started watering over the beautiful suits they have..

Thanks for the link!:)

Torpedo

One Too Many
djgo-cat-go said:
Torpedo,

this morning I just couldn't resist and ordered a standard Gloucester in this tweed:
And browsing through the Bookster site, my mouth started watering over the beautiful suits they have..

Thanks for the link!:)

Caps off to you, sir... ;)

DSC_0385b.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
YETI said:
Amidst this recession, I find it rather ironic that a depression era 8-panel newsboy/gatsby cap would fetch such a staggering price. [huh] http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320356081684

It's actually a very nice cap... but that's a doozie of a price tag! :eek:

Torpedo, that new one looks like a similar cut to the Hat People caps we have? Except maybe a little more in the front and a little less on the sides. Would you say I'm about right?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:
Torpedo, that new one looks like a similar cut to the Hat People caps we have? Except maybe a little more in the front and a little less on the sides. Would you say I'm about right?

Yes, they are very much the same dimensions. I have measured both caps; the British cap is a little longer, and about the same width, than the US cap. My Bookster is made of a heavier material than my HatPeople, so it makes more of a mushroom effect than he other, which lies flatter. This is obvious when you put them on a table, but is apparent when worn, too. The drape is different. They "ride" differently.

Other differences... visors (bills) are about the same lenght, and a little narrower in the Bookster. This cap has a reinforcement inside the visor and another (smaller) inside the crown, where the snap is - yes, these have a snap. With the snap on, the visor is all but invisible. You can unfasten it, and play around with the crown (for those not owning a HapPeople, their caps do not have a snap and do not have any kind of reinforcement nor stiffener inside the visor).

You like your HatPeople, you will surely like the Bookster. I like them both. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy