Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

Magus

Practically Family
Here is the promised picture. the cap also has a dropdown ear/upper neck flap. I do plan on getting a Bwear eventually, but for now this Christies of London will do.

Copyofloma003.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_1292.jpg

My tweed flatcap is a New York Hat company one, probably about 10 years old or so. I have two originals, both, unfortunately are quite tiny, and I find that the cap I have is very authentic in cut, and the tweed material is vintage-appearing. The biggest difference is weight. The original caps I own are both very heavy, in fabric, but mostly in whatever the inside of the brim is made of. The NY hat co one is much lighter.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dorfman Halibut Cap

Cotton twill, nice shape and drape. $10 each from JohnHelmer.com.
Only available in khaki, white & black. I got a batch and have started messing with dyes and bleach.
The cap below used to be black. It looked too much like a French beret. I soaked it in a bleach solution and turned it copper-colored, then dyed pearl grey Rit over that. Result is a nice weathered brown that goes great with an A-2 jacket.
2865916820_4bd0a20882.jpg

2865916758_74035f2650.jpg

Jacket is an Eastman 1933 Werber, my all-time favorite.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I was all set to get a B! Wear cap, when this turned up in a box in my basement:
IMG_2348.jpg

It's made by Perry Ellis, believe it or not, and I bought it in the early 90's.
I now have a total of 3 news boy caps, so I think I'm good...for now.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I just placed an order for a B! Wear cap a few days ago. I'm getting the black and gray wool. I'll see how long I keep this promise to myself, but this is supposed to be the only hat I buy for this coming fall/winter. lol

Assuming it looks good on me, I'll post pics in the cap faction when I get it.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
lol GOOD LUCK!!lol

LOL. Well, my strongest argument for this is that I've already gotten three new fur felt fedoras over the summer (one from Johnnyphi, one from an antique store, and one from an aunt for my Birthday). So, my argument is that if I want to be fair to the new hats I have this winter, I can't get too many of them. Oh...and that's not the even mention the fur felts I had last winter...I'm sure they want a "piece of the action" too...

Listen to the way I talk. C'mon! They are just hats right??? lol :eusa_doh:

indycop

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
LOL. Well, my strongest argument for this is that I've already gotten three new fur felt fedoras over the summer (one from Johnnyphi, one from an antique store, and one from an aunt for my Birthday). So, my argument is that if I want to be fair to the new hats I have this winter, I can't get too many of them. Oh...and that's not the even mention the fur felts I had last winter...I'm sure they want a "piece of the action" too...

Listen to the way I talk. C'mon! They are just hats right??? lol :eusa_doh:
lol I have 3 hats on order for my wife and kids for Christmas and she got a custom this year already so I'm thinkin I am due! Just gotta get her to let me get one....:eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
This Perry Ellis cap looks very soft. It probably wears like a dream.
flat-top said:
Well, I was all set to get a B! Wear cap, when this turned up in a box in my basement:
IMG_2348.jpg

It's made by Perry Ellis, believe it or not, and I bought it in the early 90's.
I now have a total of 3 news boy caps, so I think I'm good...for now.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
lol I have 3 hats on order for my wife and kids for Christmas and she got a custom this year already so I'm thinkin I am due! Just gotta get her to let me get one....:eusa_doh:

lol lol I know that feeling.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
This Perry Ellis cap looks very soft. It probably wears like a dream.
It's pretty amazing. I wore it today and it was like wearing nothing. I can't believe I had the foresight to buy something this cool so long ago.

Mr. John Smith

New in Town
Not to change the subject...

But does anyone have any feedback about Emstate? I saw some of their newsboys at:

winnercapsonline.com

On a side note, I really like the look of the Marlon Brando, "Wild Ones", hat. Specifically, cloth with a leather bill. The Baron version is ridiculously expensive, but it's the only one I can find. Cloth-check! Leather-check! Cloth with a leather bill...not so much. Anyone who can point me in the right direction will forever have my gratitude.:D

Bassman

A-List Customer
This is my new B!Wear "Large Herringbone" Newsboy.
It was a little snug at first but Brett walked me through gently stretching the suede sweatband a bit. It is now very comfy.
Please pardon the lame attempt at self portrait.

662.jpg

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I apologize for the semi-bad photo but for the time being, my phone is the only "camera" I have.

Here's the B! Wear cap I ordered last week. I think it looks pretty good. Just have to wait for cool enough weather; it's a thick one!

b_wear_gray_1.jpg

Bassman

A-List Customer
I like yours a lot ScionPI2005.
I was hoping for more fabric on top and a wider bill, just like yours.
When I mentioned to Brett that I thought the bill was a little small he said that on the thicker fabrics, the bills were usually made a bit smaller. That's obviously not the case with your cap.
Was yours made with certain specifications or just a fabric choice...and is that the "black and white herringbone" fabric?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Bassman said:
I like yours a lot ScionPI2005.
I was hoping for more fabric on top and a wider bill, just like yours.
When I mentioned to Brett that I thought the bill was a little small he said that on the thicker fabrics, the bills were usually made a bit smaller. That's obviously not the case with your cap.
Was yours made with certain specifications or just a fabric choice...and is that the "black and white herringbone" fabric?

Hey Bassman,
Mine wasn't made to any specific requests. It is actually the "black and gray herringbone".

I can see that your brim is indeed shorter than mine, with a little less fabric. That's odd. I thought, according to B! Wear's website, all the hats were cut from the same pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo